Sign in to follow this  
Squishy

Anyone use Ground Environment Pro?

Ey all, so i got my hands on Ground Environment Pro, and followed the tutorial on http://environments.flight1.net/gepro/tutorial.htmBut it doesn't look even CLOSE to what the screenshots show, even when i max out the texture options in FS2004Take a look at some of the screenshots:http://environments.flight1.net/gepro/Gallery%20V2.htmAm i doing something wrong?:/thanks

It most definitely works. Did you build the texture sets? I think you have to build them from scratch for each type of condition. (clear sky, overcast, ect...) It's very time-consuming to build them, plus most of us built several sets to use. Then I think you have to build the night sets. It's been on my machine so long, I can't remeber those details.Either way, pick the set you like and click the install button within GE Pro. You also have to "Activate" them all too. So make sure the set you want is Activated and then select the "Install" button.GE Pro only replaces the textures FS9 came with by default. Any roads, city placements, other other details are not changed. To get detailed roads placed correctly, as well as city data all located where it should be from default, you must have something like Ultimate Terrain. The water is also only handled by 3rd party installs.Those screen shots are using Ultimate Terrain and Flight Environment as well as GE Pro. The shot of the KLM is indicative of what the ground texture will look like with GE Pro only installed.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Ah i see. Yet i dont understand what the weather has to do with ground textures? Atm i only have the partly cloudy because it took too long..but shouldn't it work then when im using fair weather? I don't see why the ground textures wouldn't work when the weather is different.I have activated and installed them all though, the ground textures still dont look like the KLM picture..

Guest KemoF15

GE Pro is fully interactive with Active Sky v6.5 to get the most accurate texture look given sky conditions--GEP will actually set ground textures given the amount of cloud cover--ranging from severe clear--very bright to dingy for mostly cloudy--as it is in the real world. There's actually a button in AS that allows you to load GEP after setting up the weather for your route of flight.I used to have Birds Eye View but GEP is significantly improved (changing light conditions given weather). One drawback is water textures/color--so I recommend Flight Environment to set your sky and water color. Lastly I've added Real Sky Pro to give me some spectacular dawn/dusk looks.You can massage your own texture sets for GEP or use the default ones (which are very good) as the previous post mentioned. Here's a recent pic from inside my F15 at dusk.KemoF15 F15sunset.jpg

i fully recommend GE Pro. I have also been using it for a long time.However I do think that the texture sets based on weather are severely overhyped and I have never seen any difference whatsoever when you generate sets for your differing weather consitions. The default GEpro set does me for everything.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Ok so i installed Ultimate Terrain for europe, so now i have both UT and GE pro..and this is how it looks above amsterdam:

You need some tweaking of your CFG.Peter suggested this to me (actually it was Anthony Vos I think).DISPLAY section :UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales edge, center, end,touchdown,runways RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0 // scales VASI lights)RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0 // scales approach light bars RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0 //scales RAILs and ODALs)DisableSoftwareWarning=1TERRAIN section :TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1

Ok i copied it into my fs9.cfg and tried againThis is how it looks, still nothing like the pics....:

Guest KemoF15

Squish--need to know your system specs...what video card are you using? Something is going on either in your fs9.cfg or video card settings. If you have the ability to adjust your 3D settings (most Nvidias do), I'm sure we can dial you in.What are your FS9 display settings and your screen resolution? Also, make sure UT Europe is checked in your scenery settings (located in the initial FS9 start screen).For Max--when GEP loads partly cloudy textures v mostly cloudy--there is a difference (at least in my setup) between the two. I do agree that default sets work fine but some users find that developing their own sets (at a cost of about an hour each)is the way to go.KemoF15AMD FX-62 dual coreNvidia 7950 GX2 (1GB video card)4 GB Corsair ULL RAMRaptor 10000rpm HDDell 24" wide

My pc kinda sucks: 2.4b + radeon 9600pro + 768MB system RAM...but even when i max the settings (resulting in low fps), it still looks like crap. The resolution is 1400x900.. UT europe is checked in scenery!Im using 2x AF atm. And drivers are set to qual instead of performance...edit: Fs9 settings are from the CFG stuff posted above..!Stupid thing is: loading times have increased by 500%..but it doesnt look much better

I'm a big fan of GE Pro. I can't imagine flying without it. A question about "sets", if I may: why make so many?Doesn't GE only display one set at a time, that being the one you have previosuly installed? I made a second set that I prefer to the default GE set, but would/should I make others? Is the idea to make a dark one that you use with dark clouds and a light one you use on sunny days, etc, etc? But then you have to leave FS9 and re-install a different set every time you want to fly in different weather codintions?Or am I missing something? (I'm sure I am.)Thanks.Edit: I have a new rig and very good FPS in all situations. What are the max CFG. settings I can use to squeeze every last ounce of graphics out of GE Pro?

Hi Eric,1. Why make so many? to have some variety within each set.2. Yes, one set at a time.3. Should you make others? Yes, a few for each condition is good. At one point I had 60 varieties for each condition.4. Yes, only one set is installed at a time and yes FS needs to be closed in order to see the installed set, but if you tie the textures in, with the weather conditions you are going to fly in, the textures will match up pretty well. That is where ASv6 can help.5. Put the sliders full right and set a good level of AA and AF in your graphics card.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Thanks Jim.That's a ton of sets. I read they take up 100MB each. Lot of work too.I'm going to play around with it tonight. See what I can come up with.(I liked the way you brought ASv6 into the equation. Style. :-cool)Thanks again.

Guest KemoF15

Squish--perhaps someone with similar hardware can assist--there's so many variables based on systems--I hate to give you bogus info since I'm running a different system but there are some generic things that may help:First, make sure you've got your memory setup correctly--looks like you've got either a 512MB and a 256MB RAM stick or 3 x 256 sticks--is that how it came or did you buy additional? RAM is finnicky and must match (dual channel) or you may get issues (out of mem/blue screen etc)...if you can upgrade to 1GB or even 2GB that would be ideal. If your load times are excessive, you may have memory issues. You can also test (MEMTEST)to see if your RAM is actually working in harmony (google memtest for specific sites/instructions). Second, given your system specs, you should definitely download and run FSautostart to eliminate "crap" running in the background--you can set up a profile that will kill unwanted programs etc while you start FS9 (focus much needed resources to FS9). Make sure your antivirus or firewalls are not running in the background.Third, it's recommended by just about everyone to let the 3D card handle antialiasing vice FS9--so uncheck that box if it is checked--try running 4X AA and use trilinear filtering--you can dial back to 2X AA if FPS is bad (:)) The other note/warning/caution is faster computing power = heat.I pretty much reached your point a year ago--all the tweaks in the world didn't help--so I s&%t-canned my old computer, divorced my wife, and bought a ferrari (computer) which has depreciated in 12 months into a Ford Pinto.KemoF15ps kidding about the divorce but I spent the vacation money on an alienware and consequently, almost got divorced ; )