Sign in to follow this  
alsummers

Darko Tralic's Lockheed C-121 - elevator 'flutter' problem?

Anyone downloaded this superb example of great freeware?If so, is anyone having the insane tail flutter problem that I am suffering? It kicks in at about 143 knots, as you increase speed, and will only go away if you reduce speed below about 133 knots. It renders the plane pretty much unusable for me...I can barely keep hold of my joystick, as the force feedback tries to wrench it out of my hand!If you change to spot view, the elevator is flapping from one extreme of movement to the other, in a manner that would in reality rip the tail off!Just wondered if anyone else is having this problem?Its such a stunning model...Regards,Al.

I just installed that one last night and didn't notice that happening. I don't have force feedback so naturally didn't feel it but noticed no odd behaviors at that speed. I'll try slowing to that speed in spot view and see if the elevator flutters.Maybe you lost a counterweight on your elevator :)Jim

Hmmm, thanks Jim.Well, I guess the question is now, why after would I be suffering this flutter! I'll have to have a look at the cfg file and see what I can do. Maybe delete the forcefeedback section.

Yeah, or maybe copy that section out of another acft.cfg and try it. It must be setting up some kind of harmonic feedback between the input and output of the stick, kind of like when you hold a microphone up to a speaker.good luck,Jim

Guest Albatross7107

When I saw your post I went and grabbed the C-121. Two items of interest:A) No flutter, but my j-stick isn't force feedback (I'd suggest making it do this "flutter", and then pausing the sim and shutting the force feedback off to see if that makes it go away):( WHAT A MODEL! Very nice - a bit big for my tastes, but there's no denying it flys great and looks fabulous!

Well, having checked out the aircraft.cfg I find that there is actually no entry for force feedback settings at all, so perhaps thats where the problem lies, given that I'm using a force feedback stick.Thanks for checking it out for me - glad your enjoying the aircraft!