Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Question Regarding Ground Environment Not Pro Version

Hi folks. I recently purchased the regular version of Ground Environment not the Pro version, and have been struggling with a bit of blurries. I run various photo sceneries like MegaCity Phoenix and Dallas and have no problem with blurries until I use GE. I have tried using a variety of CFG settings mentioned in the VOZ forum and some that were posted here as well. So far they haven't helped much. The blurries seem to be the worst at night. I am also using Ultimate Terrain so I am not sure if that is causing a conflict. I read the reviews on both GE and GE Pro that are posted on Avsim's review pages and it said in the review of GE Pro that the blurries seem to be fixed in that version. I feel like I am flying FSX after seeing the screens posted of that sim. I experience no blurries before using GE with default textures or with the photo textures of Megacity.I would probably spend the extra money to upgrade to GE Pro if that will get rid of the blurries. I am surprised to get the blurries since I thought the GE textures probably aren't much bigger than the stock FS9 textures. Below are my specs. Thanks in advance.SeanP4 2.531.5 GB RamRadion 9700

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,I am also using Ground Environment non pro edition and I am not getting any blurries with my system. My specs are as follows:Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT Processor1 GB of PC 3200 Memory80 & 160 GB ATA 100 Hard DrivesATI Radeon X800XT 256MB AGP Video Card17" LCD Display running at 1280 x 1024 (native resolution)Below are the major modifications to my fs9.cfg:[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=300RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=.9RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=.9RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=.9RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=.9[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000 (try first)TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000 (try first)TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 (try first)The 20 fps may seem slow as a number but after doing lots of testing I determined that I am able to get the most eye candy and frame rate stability with 20 fps while still retaining smoothness. If you try the above changes let me know how they work for you.

>Sean could you post your FS9.cfg so I can take a look ;)>>Regards,>>Alex>>http://www.cielosim.com/images/sig_alex.gifThanks for the replies Knight and Alex. Attached is my CFG.I noticed there are a few thing in my CFG that I don't understand like one that is called TERRAIN_USE_VECTOR_OBJECTS=0 maybe I need to put that as one. I will try Knight's and see if that helps.Appreciate you help. Let me know if anything looks wierd in my CFG.Thanks,Sean

Guest TomOOO

I bought the GE (not pro) orginally and also found problemswith bluries - much better than the photographic stuff I hadfirst though. I then upgraded to GEpro - and the review is right - the blurriesjust went away. You can fly in an f14 and 1000 feet and stillnot get blurries. It is shame that GE does have the blurriesand you have to upgrade to the pro to get rid of them - you canuse the 30 dollar cash back when you put in the GE (not pro) SNwhen you make the purchase. Night textures are amazing. Less convinced about the multiple texture sets.RegardsTom

Guest TomOOO

Oops - double postTom

Sean,I have GE as well and no blurries. You might want to try reducing TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 to 40 or 50 and see if that helps.CarlDell E510, P4-3.4ghz, 2gram, 7600GS.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Well guys I tried the suggestion of changing the last three lines of my CFG that Knight55 suggested:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4All of the sudden it's wonderfully sharp :-) Feels like a whole new sim. Even the point lights at night from UT seems to look a lot sharper. I was getting some blurryness from those as well prior to the change. It's amazing that just a few numbers set at the wrong values can muck everything up. Even when switching views now the textures dont seem to take any time to load, it's prety much instant.I don't know if I should even consider getting the upgrade to GE Pro now that this is working well. I don't think I really feel like using all those other texture sets for different weather settings and what not. I was going to buy it and just use the standard day and night sets just to get rid of the blurries. Thanks again for all those that helped. Off to fly and enjoy.Regards, Sean