Sign in to follow this  
Guest shearerc

How to stop Rod Machado kicking you out of FS9 lessons

Guest shearerc

This is a tip I'd like to share with fellow newbie pilots. It only applies to lessons, not the checkrides.Having a hard time with the FS2004 lessons?Are you frustrated because Rod doesn't give you enough time to correct your aircraft to the proper altitude/speed/power/etc and kicks you out of his lessons midway, forcing you to reload and revisit earlier parts of the lesson that you've already nailed?If you wished you just had a little bit more time, this tweak is for you.1. Go to the ScriptLib dir under your FS9 dir. For most people it should be C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Scriptlib2. Open the "stdinit.abl" file using Notepad (or your fav text editor). I recommend you backup this first before editing anything.3. Search for the phrase "nToleranceTimeWarn" and "nToleranceTimeErr". It should be on line 75 and 76, respectively.4. You will see that both are set by default to 20. I believe this value is in seconds. Change both values to a higher amount to your liking. For example, setting them to 40 would double the grace period to correct your aircraft before Rod kicks you out.5. Save the file after you are done. That's it!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Nice one!! I've made that 90 to give myself more of a chance!God, I hate that guy's sense of humour.Andy.

>Hi,>Nice one!! I've made that 90 to give myself more of a chance!>God, I hate that guy's sense of humour.>Andy.His sense of humour is highly irritating - but who cares! After a few mins in his company I decided to devote myself to the PMDG 744 and Supronov Yak-40 and have never looked back ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest magnum_force

That Rod guy in the flight lessons, did you ever wish you could throw him out and watch him free fall to earth.That annoying sense of humor that makes learning not fun.I learned to fly on my own without those ......lessons.

Yeah, he was really pissing me off. I quit doing the lessons because of him. I augured in one time on purpose just to take him with me. Haven't been back since, hee hee. Thanks for the tweak though.Kim :-lol

>Yeah, he was really pissing me off. I quit doing the lessons>because of him. I augured in one time on purpose just to take>him with me. Haven't been back since, hee hee. Thanks for the>tweak though.>Geeze,,,,,,,, :-lol Here's a "real" guy that writes a monthly column in AOPA magazine; throwing out plenty of worthwhile advice, and answering many monthly questions.......And you people want to throw him out, at altitude no less! :-hah

I guess I shouldn't have been so hard on Rod, I know it's really Microsoft's fault in the way they did the lessons. I've taken many actual flight lessons in the past and my instructor was a humorous guy who made it fun. Thanks Ron.Rod's humor isn't a problem until you've been dumped out of a lesson for the umpteenth time because of a time constraint. I'm sure the real Rod Machado is real nice guy, at least he sounds like it. I only took out my frustration on his flight instructor avatar, or maybe subliminally, Bill Gates. At least I went down with him!Kim

Guest magnum_force

Hi guysI was only throwing in some humor with my post. I would not force Ron to free fall at altitude. That would be murder. But, it would be ...tempting.Just kidding.I am sure Rod is a fine instructor and a better pilot than I will ever be.The flight lessons are not all that great in my opinion anyway, in FS, but they do help. I did them for about one day before I just went out on my own.

This topic does make for a humorous thread at least and the original author gave us a workaround for it.Kim:-lol

Hey Guys,Don't be too hard on Rod.If you find he is too quick at criticising you make the suggested alterations to your Script/Lib.He has written an excellent Pilot's Training Manual which imho is very good value for money.His quirky sense of humour may not appeal to you but for some of us it at least helps us to remember a lot of otherwise not-so-easy-to-remember details essential for student pilots.:-cool

>Yeah, he was really pissing me off. I quit doing the lessons>because of him. I augured in one time on purpose just to take>him with me. Haven't been back since, hee hee. Thanks for the>tweak though.>>Kim :-lol You almost owed me a new monitor Kim. I was taking a drink of grapefruit juice when I read your message and nearly spit it out laughing :DKP

Guest magnum_force

Yeah, I bet Rod is a great person. I bet he is rich too. So, he has allot going for him. More than me. Especially the rich part.His sense of humor is fun until frustration takes over from failing that #$@# test.Then I get the equivalent of road rage.

I'm jealous now. He probably owns his own airplane and gets to fly around for real. I just get to fly a virtual one, sheeesh! He has the last laugh on all us poor sim pilot slobs since most of us can't afford to buy the real thing, let alone a new computer to run FSX!Oh well. My PMDG 747 keeps me happy since I'm positively sure I'll never get to fly one of those in real life.My brother in-law is a career pilot flying 767's but hates Flight Sim. I guess when you get to fly the real thing, you tend to take it for granted what a marvelous job you have. Kim :-roll

Guest deKoven

>Hi,>Nice one!! I've made that 90 to give myself more of a chance!>God, I hate that guy's sense of humour.>Andy.I just hate him for general reasons. I tried the lessons and after getting all the way to the solo I had problems just getting up in the air. Not ME; just the silly way the proggie looks at making it work. I logged out of the lessons and never went back. :D