Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

I fear it's time to re-install FS9

As much as I hate to do so, I'm afraid I'm going to have to do a re-install of FS 9. With so many payware and freeware scenery add-ons, it's going to be a nightmare.The problem is that I'm getting CTD's when I access the disk while in FS. An example would be in the flight planner. If I click to browse to look for an already existing FP, often times the program crashes. It also happens when using FSNav and the wx radar in ActiveSky when browsing to load files. It doesn't do it every time, just on occasion.It's been doing it for awhile and I've been putting off doing a re-install, but it's getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.KP

Guest ThrottleUp

Do not reinstall just yet. Instead why not uninstall addons you suspect are causing the problem?Uninstall them, defrag the disk, do a scan for disk errors (type chkdsk in a dos window) and then see if things are better.

Hi,I just did a FS9 reinstall last week. Not because I needed to,..but more because I had sooooo much junk that I never use.I simply renamed the old FS9 folder inorder to have access to some edited files later, did a complete registry cleanup, defraged and reinstalled the program.What a reliefe it was...now I have installed just about the addons I know I use regulary. And on top of all this,...............the framerates are boosted big time. ;-)

Staffan[/font size]

http://www.scandicair.com/images/fs9_pilots_club.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz, 1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo flashed to a X850 XT PE, Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0c, W XP Home with SP2, E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA, Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Probably some wise advice, thanks Nevin. I ran the System File Checker too, to make sure all my files are as they should be. I've already defragged, but will do a chkdsk too.KP

Thanks Staffan, I'll probably wind up doing what you did before it's over. Actually, I have far more addons than I need, so it would probably be a benefit to clean house a little.KP

Latest FSUIPC installed? Version 3.71 had these very issues you speak of.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest magnum_force

I know the feeling, I fear a complete reinstall every time I fire up FS. Double click the icon, and hold your breath. My AI traffic file's are loading real slow for some reason out of the blue, and if it times out, it causes CTD also.I love Flight Simulator anyway.R. Martin

Gary,I had the same happen this week after purchasing FSUIPC and applying my new key to v3.4. Ooer! Slapped in v3.75 and Robert's your relative.Jon

Same here. Ive been thinking about doing a reinstall. Boosts the frames.I miss locking them at 40. I almost think it's wise not to download and install anything your only going to only use a few times then forget about it. For me, I fly my PMDG all the time in and out of sceneries by FT. So my LDS, 744, and all the sounds can be taken off. When I get to rank in my VA where i can use them, then Ill install them. No point in wasting a for gb's for the 744, right?I think it's a economical idea. It'll be good for the enviroment. Cleaner skies, happier planes AND simmers. BTW, if there are any strange gaps in my post or something that just doesnt belong, forgive me. I purchased a HP laptop yesterday. Trying to make the move from typing on a keyboard to typing on a notebook. :)

Guest ThrottleUp

I highly recommend you get a disk-imager to backup your installation. No more resintalls! Just restore the image!Acronis True Image 10 has a free fully functional trial version :)

>Latest FSUIPC installed? Version 3.71 had these very issues>you speak of.>>GaryThanks Gary. I'm using version 3.74, but I see now there is a 3.75 version out. I'll get and see if there's any improvement.Thanks to all who've responded.KP