Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

An Approach I haven't had Before

While flying to KCLT I requested a landing on 18L and was granted it, then after saying "cleared to the 18L approach" the controller added "with a circling approach to RW23". As I approached the airport, approach issued a final vector and then cleared me to the ILS for 18L, then later tower said to "turn base for 23". I quickly retuned my GPS and landed on 23. Could someone please explain what happened here??? Thanks. Tom

he gave you a 18L visual apporoach, then a circle to land on 23?what kind of 18 apporoach he give you? there is VOR, GPS, NDB, ILS, LOC (i'm not sure what that airport/runawy have) and its very seldom to get a circle to land unless there is a radial that is more then 30 degrees off to the runway. i'm just as confused lolI'm drawing it here on my notepad, and it seems like a very weird looking base to get on 23. when did he tell you do (how far out) to get on the base for 23?like I said, circle to land is used alot in real life, but only if the runway is not aligned with any type of navaid within 30 degrees (look for the runway 23 VOR app on KBCT, you'll see what I mean) and they have much higher minimums, because you are basically doing a pattern over the airport/runway to land.

this is what it would have looked likeads305zkl2.jpgwhere you make that 1st left is a base, then a right for final.how was the weather? does 23 have ILS? or any kind of apporoach?usually you would just get vectored to 23, or they'll have you follow a STAR which isn't too often in VATSIM

I requested a landing on 18L and was granted it, then after saying "cleared to the 18L approach" the controller added "with a circling approach to RW23".Rwy 23 was the active runway - Rwy 18L & Rwy 18R were closed to landing due to the pattern.You should have asked for an alternate approach to Rwy 23 ILS - or just land on Rwy 18L anyway.What is happening is FS is trying to accommodate your request to break the ATC rules caused by the weather runway selection limits of the program.Circle to land happens often - there are many airports where all runways in all directions share a common VOR or NDB approach.Basically the approach gets you close enough to the airport to see the runways - then your have to fly a visual patten to land.Though most common for GA, there are plenty of commercial passenger turbo-prop and jets which have to fly circle to land approaches daily.

Though most common for GA, there are plenty of commercial passenger turbo-prop and jets which have to fly circle to land approaches daily.Reggie Fields, KADS, Addison, TX, USAChicago - Midway comes to mind! It's preety neat to see a 737 or 757 approach, then start to circle and stay within a certain radius of the airport. Definitely interesting to watch, and also to be a passenger in a plane flying one.Rick

Guest KemoF15

Not a big deal as long as you have circling wx mins met (1300' and 2 miles vis for RWY23 KCLT) and can maintain a visual on the runway environment. If it was a late request by ATC--bad on them--since you've got to build in some lateral offset and carry more power into the manuever. Has happened to me real world...bottom line if it's going to put you behind the curve and compromise safety...go around...assuming there was a reason he directed a circle to land RWY23--other option may have been sidestep 18R.KemoF15

Per the AIM 5-4-20:f. Circling Minimums. In some busy terminal areas, ATC may not allow circling and circling minimums will not be published. Published circling minimums provide obstacle clearance when pilots remain within the appropriate area of protection. Pilots should remain at or above the circling altitude until the aircraft is continuously in a position from which a descent to a landing on the intended runway can be made at a normal rate of descent using normal maneuvers. Circling may require maneuvers at low altitude, at low airspeed, and in marginal weather conditions. Pilots must use sound judgment, have an indepth knowledge of their capabilities, and fully understand the aircraft performance to determine the exact circling maneuver since weather, unique airport design, and the aircraft position, altitude, and airspeed must all be considered. The following basic rules apply:1. Maneuver the shortest path to the base or downwind leg, as appropriate, considering existing weather conditions. There is no restriction from passing over the airport or other runways.2. It should be recognized that circling maneuvers may be made while VFR or other flying is in progress at the airport. Standard left turns or specific instruction from the controller for maneuvering must be considered when circling to land. scott s..

Thanks for the info guys. It was an ifr approach to 18L. When I was first given the landing runway, (I forget what it was) I "requested another approach" since I had the 18L approach plate handy. I realize I cheated a little here, but after granting me 18L the controller added the 23 part. Both are ILS equipped. Thanks. Tom

Guest PARADISE

>Thanks for the info guys. It was an ifr approach to 18L. When>I was first given the landing runway, (I forget what it was) I>"requested another approach" since I had the 18L approach>plate handy. I realize I cheated a little here, but after>granting me 18L the controller added the 23 part. Both are ILS>equipped. Thanks. TomHi Tom,Sounds like ATC gave you the RW23 approach initially because it was the active runway. Then when you requested the 18L ILS they approved it with a circle to land RW23 because you didn't specify you wanted to land on 18L. Did you monitor ATIS? It's your discretion to request any approach to an airport, but unless you specify that you want to land on a particular runway other ATC will always steer you to the active runway.ATC will usually comply to your request to land on a runway other than the active if able, but they can deny it also. It's always best to have all approach plates to an airport readily available before starting a flight.

>You should have asked for an alternate approach to Rwy 23 ILS - or >just land on Rwy 18L anyway.Heck no! You fly what you are cleared and not what you want to fly.