Sign in to follow this  
Guest LSangiovanni LIML

The "blurries" What works for me.

As stated in the Subject line this is what works for me. It may or may not help you.First, what I refer to as "the blurries" occur in those ground scenery textures that are within a 5 mile radius of the aircraft you are flying. I am not referring to scenery textures in the distance which, as in real life, are always blurry.On the first page of the "Display" options dialog box in the lower right hand corner are 2 checkboxes which refer to "Extended Terrain" My "blurries" cleared up when I "Unchecked" these 2 boxes. Since unchecking these 2 boxes I always have crisp clear ground textures around the aircraft. This did not, however, clear up the blurry aircraft textures on some very detailed "add-on" aircraft such as Geofa's Debonaire.Just for reference my system specs are as follows:AMD Athlon Tbird 1.2ghzIwill kk266 mobo768mb of cheap OEM PC133 SDRAM3dfx V5 5500Win98seI have most of my scenery sliders maxed out except for the following:Max distance 60 milesno autogen sceneryno dynamic sceneryminimum AI, ATC, Clouds, WindMy average framerate in the LAX area (where I fly the most) is 25fpsHope this helps,Sskoup

Sskoup,You may wish to refer to the guide I have recently posted in the AVSIM file library, to access search under my surname.This will cure texture issues with your aircraft.Hope this helps in some way.Sincere regards,Andrew Tingle

Guest PaulL01

One thing to realize is that the 3DFX cards will only render/display the higher (512x512 & 1024x1024) resolution aircraft textures as 256x256.It is a limitation of the card and the only cure is a hardware upgrade (if that is the problem).Are you using Antialising?

Hi,Do I force antialising off - as I prefer to run the sim at a higher res and reduce jaggies that way with less of an FPS hit - certainly on my older GeForce card!!

Guest PaulL01

>>Hi, >>Do I force antialising off - as I prefer to run the sim at a >higher res and reduce jaggies that way with less of an FPS >hit - certainly on my older GeForce card!! You can set the Video card driver to let the program choose to use AA or not (Aplication) and then check the boxes in FS display settings menu or simply force the card to use preffered settings across all games that will use the D3 or OGL API.Yep, Balance settings for >Your< system and taste is always key.Personaly with my GF3 I found that anything less than 1600x1200 if I was not using AA was unexceptable.Same as for LOD detail, anything greater (greater negative values)than -0.3 and you start heading towards the "boiling horozon" look of yesterdays non mipmaped games, epsecialy in a game that allows the display of textures over such a great distance as FS does.Again, its just personal taste and balanced performance.

Yes, LOD Bias values should be used with care and to personal taste - it is a fine balancing act for sure. However, with a little experimentation one can find an acceptable trade off between clarity and "boiling horizons" :-)Each user has a preference that they ought to be able to tailor to suit their tastes - hence the guide. The "ideal" setup will obviously be different for every user - but the guide was merely meant to serve as a basis from which this "personal tweaking" could develop. And hopefully - and certainly judging by the emails I have recieved - it has certainly done this.The guide was meant to "empower" the beginner - as was clearly indicated in the title. The visibility and fs.config settings detailed may appeal to a wider audience however.I am glad that i have been able to give something back to the community, to be honest. And, if I have helped some people "albeit in my small way" then that makes me very happy.I am also very happy that you have posted here in reply to me - its good to talk. Thank you! :-wave

Mr. Tingle;i downloaded your PDF tweak guide even though I do not own a Nvidia card. Using the settings you recomended for FS2002, I now have the best and clearest graphics I have ever had In FS2002. Thanks again for your wonderful advice.I am a HAPPY camper!

CharlieZ,Thank you so very much for your kind comments. I am very glad this worked for you!!You have made my day.Regards,Andrew T

Guest PaulL01

>However, with a little experimentation one can find an >acceptable trade off between clarity and "boiling horizons" Actually it is simple math, there are only so many pixels that can fill the screen at a given resolution once you go beyond this pixels will be "fighting" to occupy the same space on the screen, hence the "boiling" and "shimmering" effects as well as a loss in FPS for no visual gain. Settings beyond -0.3 LOD using 1600x1200 or less will fall into this category especially without the use of AA the results are rather poor. If one likes pixels winking in and out or having the object textures waving back and forth at you as fly pass them... then go for it!!! :)To each is own eh? :-lolVery nice work on your GF3 tips!Take care. :) Paul

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Sskoup,>On the first page of the "Display" options dialog box in the >lower right hand corner are 2 checkboxes which refer to >"Extended Terrain" My "blurries" cleared up when I >"Unchecked" these 2 boxes.I did try your suggestion but with those settings (TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=0) all mountanious areas around location where i'm flying show as a plain green relief without any sort of texture; maybe i should try tweaking any other value?Thanks for helpingLuigi ;-)