Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Fiddled with .cfg, now ground is out od focus

I have had ground textures popping in and out of focus ever since I can remember: the ground is never "still", tiles randomly focusing and unfocusing: at night over urban areas the lights dim and brighten.Anyway, in another attempt to find a solution I installed nHancer which is great for nVdia users as it explains what the available changes do and why (which the nVidia control panel doesn't tell you).But I also fiddled about with the FS9 .cfg and now all the ground is totally unfocused, at all altitudes, although under about 5000' it's better.What are the .cfg entries that would affect ground focus, and what nVidia parameters would affect it?My Specs:AMD64 4200 / Asus A8NE / Asus 7900GTX currently with a 160.02 Tweaks'R Us driver / 2Gb Kingston DDR

northridge,your system appears superior to mine so your issues should be repairable. The simplest way to start is to pull your FS9.cfg to a safe place and let the sim build you a new one. Adjust your in-sim settings for optimum before resuming the manual edits of the fs9.cfg file.One setting I know folks sometimes overlook is that "Global Max Texture size" setting. It's got to be maxed out to be able to use 1024 x 1024 textures (best resolution); if it's down in mid-range, you're down to the blurry 256 or 128... Gag!If you start with a fresh cfg file, you can restore your tweaks/changes easily enough by comparing with the earlier version -- DOCUMENTING as you go, so you'll be a undo an 'oops!' if it happens again. And keep a copy of the default that FS9 builds for you.Just my opinion, but you should be able to run that thing wide open, all settings to the right, and keep clear sharp textures at mach 1.for what it's worth...[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3.0Loyd

I let FS9 recreate the .cfg and at least I'm back where I started; the ground is now in focus - at least parts of it part of the time.That I still have the focusing problem with a default .cfg suggests a greater malaise and one that I am not going to resolve with "fiddling about".Thanks.

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3.0The first two values are rubbish. The maximum values which have effect are 4. Anything above that makes no difference at all.

I just replaced my video card with a XFX Nvidia 7950GT (the best I could get with a 8X AGP motherboard with only Molex power connectors). What a difference, no more blurries. Farlis is right, the first two numbers should be 4.0. The last one can be as high a 4.0, but 3 or 3.5 are better for reducing texture tearing (the blue slivers you see in the distance between texture tiles, especially if you have mesh installed).Get a good third party defragger program that lets you put FS9 on the outer tracks of your hard drive as well. Texture load times will vastly shorten.Kim

I checked those numbers and they seem to give better results, though I should be getting much more consistent focus than I do.Texture loading has always been slow - although automatically defragged perhaps my HD is to blame.Thanks.

GMMN to LFPG. With the new numbers in the .cfg the ground was pretty much okay all the way, until dropping in to Paris, where even my rig couldn't manage to load and focus the ground textures properly.The HD has a lot to do with texture loading, right? A 7200 WD should be able to manage, surely, if it's set up right? So why do I get textures loading in blocks, with the aircraft always the last to pop up?And what is it that controls whether a texture is in focus or not?Why am I still asking these questions however many years it is since I installed FS9?