Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

Anyone downloaded NL 2000 V3 scenery?

I just started to download the Netherlands 2000 V3 scenery using the bittorrent file sharing protocol. Has anyone successfully downloaded the scenery? How long did it take? My download window is showing 630 hours to download the first file!! Is this normal?Thanks!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I've downloaded complete set. Took me just under 2 days on an 8Mbconnection. Due to its size took a while to install but the resultsare stunning. EHAM Airport is a beauty. Take this opportunity tothank the NL2000 team for what is in my opinion the best freewarescenery package EVER!! Well worth the long download process.Regards

I don't understand this process.I am downloading it (about 1 hr ago).. Its all 0% and there are 2MB or kb ad 1 MB/kb downloaded.There should be a better way.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny,There is: just buy them a server and bandwidth and I am sure things will go faster!!Doing what they are doing requires no server or bandwidth bill.And just think: some people want WORLD WIDE photo scenery. Just think about the download time for that: months or years!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Yes you can well understand why tile proxy has caught at least some simmers imagination despite its considerable limitations. I just don't see how this approach to scenery development will have much appeal until we all have multi terabyte hard drives and 100 megabit downloads. If I were to download NL 2000 it would tie up my downloads for a week and blow my monthly download limit three times over!Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

multi terabyte hard drives and 100 megabit downloads. If I were to download NL 2000 it would tie up my downloads for a week and blow my monthly download limit three times over!Iomega 2TB External - $1399.95Iomega 1TB Wireless Ethernet NAS - $699.00I doubt anyone will be able to run FS comfortably with less than 500GB hard drive, preferrable 2 x 500GB within two years.bit torrent is designed to not tie up your downloads - you can still surf the new, view videos, download from Avsim, etc, as normal.bit torrent runs it the background and downloads faster when the computer is not busy with other tasks.It also allows you to shutdown the computer, start the next day and the download will pickup where it left off.However, it will share you downloaded files to be downloaded from your computer to someone else.You are unfortunate if you have an ISP which has a limit on monthly downloads, but that's the reality many folks still have to deal with.NL2000 is probably a great product.I won't be downloading it not because of it's size, only because I've quite dumping time and money into the FS9 dead end.But the size is a true indicator of what it will take to reach the detail level everyone seems to assume is necessary.

Yeah.. I am just beginning to realize the scope of this freeware. It didn't hit me at first. The size and the high resolution etc.I am letting it run on my spare PC.. and It has been making progress so its all fine with me.Manny There may be another way too. If they could team up with a payware vendor to package his on a DVD and sell it at a price negotiated with the freeware vendor in addition to the free download. The price is for the value added of delivery of the freeware. Kind of like shipping and packaging cost.

Manny

>I just started to download the Netherlands 2000 V3 scenery>using the bittorrent file sharing protocol. Has anyone>successfully downloaded the scenery? How long did it take? >My download window is showing 630 hours to download the first>file!! Is this normal?>>Thanks!>AirbusDownloading as we speak :-jumpyAndr

André

I started it Friday night.. and I am just about done with Disks 2,3,4 and 5. But Disk 1 is taking forever,, its only 44% complete.Its downloading at 8Kbits/sec... Whats up with that? Any ideas why this 1 disk (the first download) is so slow?Manny

Manny

My guess is that most people start with trying just disk 1 and stop downloading after an hour because the download times scare them.I started getting the disks from the binary newsgroups. I used the newsgroups for disks 1,2 and 5. Disks 3 and 4 where damaged posts on my newsserver so I used the torrents for them. I was ammazed at how fast those torrents where (and more reliable then my providers news server).Maybe you can try to get disk 1 from the newsgroups. I'm a bit cautios posting details on how this works. Thats the only problem I have with this whole distribution. A lot of people now learn about the torrents and the binary newsgroups. Some of them may be tempted by the darker side of things.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Boshar,How do I get disk 1 from newsgroups? got any links?Its now downloading at 1kbits/sec. It'll take another month before it downloads it at this rate.MannyEdited to add: I did a google search on "binary newgroup" and came across some pay to download sites..but how do I know they have this file to download?

Manny

Is there any place else to download the first disk? There is no way one can download it at $1kbits/sec. This is a Chinese water torture.

Manny

Guest Ocala 1

Disregard this post

>Is there any place else to download the first disk? There is>no way one can download it at $1kbits/sec. This is a Chinese>water torture.Had some things at work that needed my attention. Sorry to be so late in responding. You need a provider that gives you full access to newsgroups. Preferably your provider carries all the .bin newsgroups and has a long retention time (= time they keep the 'articles' available).If your provider has these capabilities you use a free program like grab-it (http://www.shemes.com/). If your provider lacks good newsservers you can temporarily buy access to a pay server with more newsgroups and longer retention times.If you setup the program and it works send me an e-mail via the forum. I want to leave out some details to prevent misuse of torrents and news leachers.It will take some time before I can answer (probably friday). Work gets in the way a lot.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg