Sign in to follow this  
elprim

Are FS developers full time professionals?

More and more we see people complaining about (too) long developement times for various FS addons. In fact one of such passionate discussions about an Airbus is still going on while I'm writing this.I just never understood: Are most of our favorite developers doing this job for living, for maintaing their families, full working time, or they just do it after regular working hours as a hobby for some additional income, if and when they get some free time, and wife and kids went to sleep... etc?Sorry if this is a confidential or naive question, but I wouldn't dare to criticise anybody if this is just a free time job. On the contrary, if they are pros then I can understand and share some of the nervous reactions of future customers. Having to wait much more than a year (and sometimes two) from announcemet to delivery makes people somewhat dissapointed. Though I am not involved with FS, I am an IT developer myself and can estimate quite well how much time does developement of a complex system take.No offence, no bad intention, I am just curious how it works.

There is a mix of both - and I have no idea about the specifics of any specific group.The problem with doing it full time for a living is the cyclical nature of months or years with no income - then a huge rush for a new product - then a steadily decreasing stream of sales while you work on a new product.It's not for the faint hearted and it's not for people without a backup source of money.Once companies reach a certain financial level - they seem to be able to sustain themselves as developers and reach a consistent production level.The startups and first products are always the biggest problems.Some of the very best refuse to go full time for all the right reasons - and many others go that way when an established developer offers them an opportunity.Those seem pretty happy and seem to stay on schedule.Creating a successful development group and product is more about financial management, financial resources and people management skills - than the actual modeling and coding.The world is filled with extremely talented people with great ideas who failed at bring their products to market - not because of any lack of talent or vision - but because of poor business management skills.Let me add one other thing - personally I think the 'rivet counters' are doing a lot of damage and killing off a lot of development efforts.There is a difference between letting a developer know he/she missed something or got a part wrong.And the intense campaigns to brand products as useless.Quite frankly if I had an idea, the money and lined up the talented developers - no way I'd risk exposing my 'love' to this community.

Naturally it'll vary, imho most are. Add to that the fact that quality, detailed addons require longer and longer dev cycles as fs evolves, you can expect to wait years for a good one. As for criticism (not abuse), free time or full time, if they charge money the same rules apply - customers are entitled AFTER they pay their money. Regarding protracted wait between announcement and release, who does that hurt? Think about it - the dev loses goodwill and potential customers as they generally lose faith in your ability to deliver what you promise.What does the potential customer lose? It must be my age, but AFAIC only a childlike mind could possibly rant over a delayed or unreleased game title :-jumpyregards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark