Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

How to get the best FS9 performance?

Other that the suggestions in the other forum, has anyone found any other ways to get better performance is fs9? Right now in the FT ERJ145 with med clouds, Im getting about 15FPS. Which in my case, is unreasonable at FL270 at 5AM local time. Anyone have any idea's on how to boost the FPS, other than a pc upgrade, which I need?

That may be an issue with the plane itself. I have the ERJ and would regularly get in the 10's in medium weather. I hate to say but the key is NOT to use the VC; especially with that plane. You'll see a large jump in frames if you only use the 2D/wing version. (BTW, I've done some mods on the cfg file that greatly improves the flight performance of this plane, especially on approach if interested). That's not a problem for me as I never use a VC except with small GA aircraft. I much prefer the 2D for IFR flying. I get my locked frame value of 26 with the ERJ ( and almost everything else) with my system: 3.0, 1 Gb ram, Nvidia 5600LE, running Ultimate Traffic at 100 % and AS6.0. I don't have any add-on scenery, and my sliders are set medium in general. One other small tip: I've also found many commerical add-on planes have HUGE external textures. If you're like me I don't really care about perfect detail of the outside of the plane. I've converted almost all my commerical plane's textures from 32, 64 bit megabyte size files to around 600 kb DXT1 files. Amazing increase in loading times and when switching views. It's also helped the frames. The above won't be everyone's cup o' tea. But I generally fly in the flight levels on an IFR plan so it works for me. Low and slow guys would not like my suggestions I would think. Mike

i had a system like yours and i upgraded to my current system and thats the best and biggest performance increase ever!

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

>> One other small tip: I've also found many commerical>add-on planes have HUGE external textures. If you're like me>I don't really care about perfect detail of the outside of the>plane. I've converted almost all my commerical plane's>textures from 32, 64 bit megabyte size files to around 600 kb>DXT1 files. Amazing increase in loading times and when>switching views. It's also helped the frames.>Hi Mike,I'd like to look into the process of re-formatting a/c textures to DXT1 files. However, I'm not familiar with the process, and was hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. What software app are you using to perform the switch? Any place where I might be able to pick up a tutorial on creating DXT1 files?Thanks for your help,orbmis

Yep, Martin Wright's utility is what I use... very easy. email on the way Chase. Mike

Mike- I'm with you-I NEVER use VC nor look at external views. I'm running Triple Views (180

I would love to go to 3 monitors. If any of you have been to Disney Downtown (Orlando) and gone to the arcade there and used the SEGA airline simulator, the 3 monitor system is definitely the way to go. Restores the peripheral vision missing in the regular sim. However, the wife says we have higher priorities than a Matrox and 2 more monitors ;-) Mike

Mike- You might be surprised at the junkbox giveaways in older video cards and CRTs that can be found at local computer shops! TH2GO not used in my setup- only 3 5yr old GeForce cards. A 180

Getting a bit OT, but with 2 more vid cards do your left and right monitors show the left/right 45 degree views? How do you get them to do that? Mike

Mike-yes ViewLFwd on left monitor and ViewRFwd on the right= 180

If I could afford 3 shiney new monitors, I'd be right there with you guys... VC's would be gone... Who needs a vc when you have an astounding 2D and two large monitors as windows?

Chase- I'm using 2-7 year old CRTs in my triple mon. At my local computer shop they usually have a pile of old CRTs/ printers/ stuff at the door- help yourself! Otherwise they have to pay to have it hauled away & recycled. With bezel width view angle correction, old wide bezel CRTs work just fine!! (the windshield posts on your car are wider and they don't spoil the view!) Might even find some useful video cards.Alex Reid