Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Memory Leak?

6, that's pretty slow man. Is that LDS ?JimCYWG

I only have bad FPS on the ground or in big cities, my problems are out of memory errors

Guest KemoF15

FPS reduction does not necessarily mean a memory leak. However, If you are having CTDs in conjunction you might have a memory issue. Are you having any OOM messages or blue screen errors? I'd work from from simple to more complex resolutions:Less Painful-Display settings within FS9--have you changed those?-ID any addon scenery, utility, or aircraft that you began to see a degradation in performance-Make sure your drivers are up to date and settings for video driver are reasonable for your system--a small increase in antialiasing (AA) can make a big improvement but can also exponentially impact FPS--AF is a bit more FPS friendly-If you have latest drivers make sure you completely uninstalled old ones--3D guru site has lots of good utilities to help-Make sure you're not running into an overtemp situation on the video card--if you've upgraded your vid card without providing adequate cooling that can affect performance big time-Run dxdiag and make sure there are no conflicts--look for latest DirectX 9.0c (ver 0904 I believe)-Run an antivirus to make sure you're not infected-Defrag your HD 3 times with XP default defrag-Make sure you've got no firewalls/AV running in background--use FSautostart to disable background programs etc-Get a registry healer to get rid of unwanted .dlls/bad paths etc-Download filemon and monitor real time FS9 file activity-Run your task monitor in the background while flying (ctrl-alt-del) and check your memory usage--when used in combination with filemon, you can ID bad read/write errors and possible "mem leaks"More Painful-Delete FS9.cfg and let it build a fresh one--save old one first so you can dial in previous settings--can also do that selectively in order to "exclude" any offending entries-Selectively uninstall addons--process of elimination-Uninstall/reinstall FS9--selectively add addons-Run memtest to ID bad RAM sticks/mem conflicts--replace-Some hardware may be failing--usually is accompanied by other problems in other programs-If other program problems XP may be an issue--consider reinstalling or a complete HD reformatI'm sure there's plenty more to add to the list but these are a few.Good luck!KemoF15

I just downloaded a few days ago KNUQ, Moffett Field scenery, and it seems to have a landclass file. I am hoping that if I get rid of this landclass file it will stop the OOM errors. I was told that even a texture folder with files in it will cause memory leaks

-Delete FS9.cfg and let it build a fresh one--save old one first so you can dial in previous settings--can also do that selectively in order to "exclude" any offending entriesThat's what I did last night after posting this, that is before my internet went wacko.Issue solved. With sliders fairly far right, I locked at 30 in dense situations (on the ground at HNL with multi-layers of thick cumulous clouds.Maybe it's problem solved? I #### sure hope...

Al, a handy little tool I bought last night was O&O CleverCache. It runs in the background clearing as much mem as possible. Seems like my system has sped up a little. Also, to save the money, google "MaxMem." Might help with the memory issues.

>this error is caused by MS allowing their game developers to create >software that, under some circumstances, will grab more memory that >the operating system will allow (2GB for both XP and VISTA).That is wrong as my post you quote explains. Also, you breached copyright by copying a post from FlightSim in its entirity. If I had wanted to that here I'd have done so myself.

Guest KemoF15

ChaseHopefully it's sorted for you...one thing I wanted to mention as well is you can selectively "uncheck" scenery addons from your settings tab when you crank up FS9--exit FS9 then re-enter FS9--without having to uninstall etc. Additionally, there is a known issue with ultimate terrain USA enhanced coastlines, rivers, lakes textures potentially causing memory leaks--there is a UT patch floating around that addresses the issue. Search for it in this forum or head over to UT forums for lots of discussion on it and the patch before you pull the trigger. It helped me as I was having consistent CTDs at 4hr flight time in the US (though I never saw FPS drop below 33)--filemon and task manager helped me ID which files were causing memory issues so that I could focus on a remedy or mitigation strategy.CheersKemoF15AMD FX-62 dual coreNvidia 7950GX2 (1GB vid)overclocked4 GB Corsair RAM (because the GPU above sucks lots of VM)Raptor 10000rpm HDDell 24"WinXP HomeUltimate Terrain US/Europe, FSGenesis 38m, GE Pro, AS6.5, FE, Real Sky Pro, Squawkbox 3.1, FSACARS, Megahubs, Cloud 9 KDCA, Imagine KCLT, Grimshaw's KBOS, Ansari's KLGA, Wilco Airbus Deluxe, PMDG 737, PIC 737, PSS 757

Hi,Another thing to try next time is to load the original Cessna at Sea Tac Flight, then switch to the desired plane and try that. I saved a "virgin" flight right after I installed FS, with my "standard" plane at my favorite airport. I just reload that flight when my frame rate starts to erode. It's worked fine so far...--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___