Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTEK99

New FMC/FMS pack released by FriendlyPanels

Guest JTEK99

Just saw this at Simmarket. http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=2498I downloaded the PDF manual and it looks like it's pretty good for a 'generic' FMC. It supposedly even does VNAV pretty well. If it all works correctly, the package looks like a winner for those who fly 'lighter' commercial jets (CLS, POSKY, 50North, etc.) and would like to put an FMC into them.Going to check it out a bit more....

I'd hold onto my money until some credible reviews come in. Friendly panels' previous releases fall far short of payware grade work.I can recommend Ernie Alston's ISG1 series as a decent aftermarket FMS if you're looking.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest JTEK99

Bob:Thanks a bunch for the heads-up on FP's general quality on earlier releases. Yeah, I'll likely wait, too. It's not too expensive, but I so hate getting burned.As regards Ernie Alston's ISG1 package, I've looked at this for quite some time. I'm a longtime FSBuild user, so I know Ernie's a bonafide professional; thus, I'm sure the quality and support is high. The one thing that holds me back from getting it are a few comments regarding how the gauges really eat into frames (fps).Do you know if that's true?Thanks again.

>The one thing that holds me back from getting it are a few comments >regarding how the gauges really eat into frames (fps).I haven't had any problems with frame rate hits and IGS, but then again I have one of the faster PCs around right now (3.6GHz Core2 X6800 and a 768MB 8800GTX).The IGS is a good basic early-generation RNAV FMS with associated EHSI and control gauges. I use it retrofitted into the older tin like the RFP B742, the TinMouse II B737, etc. It also allows nav data updates...Ernie publishes a new nav database very other AIRAC cycle or so.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I would also recommend the ISG product. I have never had a problem with frame rates, nor have I seen it mentioned on the ISG forum.I think the one problem with the ISG product is the poorly organised documentation. It really needs a makeover into a clearly arranged single PDF document.

Graeme Butler

Guest JTEK99

Graeme & Bob:Thanks for the info on the ISG gauges. I think I'll surf Ernie's subforum and check it out once again. Looks like there's a few more user-made panel configurations available in the library now.Thanks again!

Hmm,I would hold my money. There 2 imminient shortcomings of this package catching my eyes:1. Nav-Database not updatable. The package uses MSFS default Navdata only2. No aircraft-specific performance data (fuel burn, engine performance etc.). Makes exact VNAV calculation and realistic performance management impossible.I would like to join the other posters and recommend Ernie Alstons ISG1 instead. It gives you a lot of nice gauges, extreme flexibility in configuration, and last but not least, great support coming directly from the author.Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFDirector, VATSIM Europe Division (VATEUD1) *** mailto:vateud1@vateud.org

Can you save and load your flight plans?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

As do I, I highly recommend Ernie's ISG gauges, I notice no frame hit, (I do have a powerful computer though) and he is working on a sweet new free upgrade, the popular CDUs that Boeing use in their aircraft. They can be a little tricky yot install, and you may have to get a program like FS Panel Studio, otherwise there are a few free easy to install templates available on his site and some users have offered theirs as well.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I bought the Friendly Panels FMC the other day.Functionality wise it's the FS GPS with a FMS interface and a basic VNAV - there are no performance calculations or V speeds to input.Their web site says it all..."The purpose of these gauges is to implement the FMC style you can find in many of modern jetliners or business jets, using the flight plans created with Microsoft Flight Simulator FS9 or FSX, or any add-on which can export flight plans in the FS format. We have eliminated the complex way in what you have to plan your flight in current commercial FMCs implemented in some of the commercial airliners existing for Microsoft Flight Simulator but keeping the feeling of a real FMC-CDU."For those like me with time constraints who often enjoy flying the simpler jets now and then (such as the default or CLS) it's pretty cool as it feels much more natural in a jet than the standard GPS. The installation is easy as it works just like the GPS i.e. a pop-up gauge with no panels to edit (just the panel.cfg). I don't use the VNAV function as I enjoy ATC vectoring. Out of curiosity I tried it a little - it's basic but it seems to work and can be activated /deactivated from the FMS. There are useful little touches such as the Nav-Data look-up - if you have an FP loaded and look up an airport, the ICAO of your destination automatically appears in the scratchpad. You can also send ILS freqs directly into NAV1, and radio freqs into COM1.Personally I love it - it suits my needs and if I want more complex then I just load up the LD-767 or whatever. This is only v1.0 and more functionality will probably be added in future updates.

Bob,I was going to get Ernie's gauges for the MSFS aircraft but I first wanted to know if they are "undockable" and can be moved to a second monitor.Do you happen to know if they are undockable or not?I asked Ernie but he did not know .. he does not use or had not tested with 2 monitors.>>The one thing that holds me back from getting it are a few>comments >>regarding how the gauges really eat into frames (fps).>>I haven't had any problems with frame rate hits and IGS, but>then again I have one of the faster PCs around right now>(3.6GHz Core2 X6800 and a 768MB 8800GTX).>>The IGS is a good basic early-generation RNAV FMS with>associated EHSI and control gauges. I use it retrofitted into>the older tin like the RFP B742, the TinMouse II B737, etc. >It also allows nav data updates...Ernie publishes a new nav>database very other AIRAC cycle or so.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V>Santiago de Chile

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi ,can somebody from the users explain how the Vnav featurework....Can u say set a 250kn speed under 10000 feet and it does this as a Autopilot do ??Any answers would be nice....cheersMario G