Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimdx

Do Widescreen Monitors Work?

Guest over and out

I have a 24" dell WS. like it but yes it does squash the gauges in the 2D panel. Things are normal in the VC. It will slow down a bit but not much.What I dont understand is why in FS9 there is the option to choose a wide angle resolution but it squashes the view. Why in the heck did they put it there if you can not use it without distortion?

Rather than Widescreen- I vote for (standard)multi monitors & multi views- LFwd,Fwd,RFwd!!What we then really need is a secondary panel that is the ENTIRE F.O. 2D panel- and not just individual gauge popups!! This panel would be undocked and dragged to the right monitor of a multi monitor setup - mating exactly with the main Captain's 2D panel- no overlap or repeat & all spread over 2 monitors. Imagine, the detail of a full width cockpit without VC scrolling left & right or zooming! Any developers out there reading this? (Yes, I know there are many right seat panels- but I haven't seen one yet that is designed to be used IN TANDEM with the main (left) panel in a 2D multi monitor setup.)Alex Reid

Do you get the strecth out effect with high resolutions only or with any resolution mode ? Thanks Carlos

Guest over and out

So if there were not many widescreens out when fs9 came out why offer a widescreen resolution in the options when it's just going to distort the gauges and view? Seems like a waste? PLus I'm sure the computer industry anticipated the surge in widescreen use back then.In any case it's too bad that in this day and age we can not fly with a normal 2d view in wide screen in fs9.

>Do you get the strecth out effect with high resolutions only>or with any resolution mode ? Thanks CarlosThe distortion happens with all monitors not having a 4:3 resolution, but this occurs mostly with widescreen monitors and only when flying in 2D mode.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest D17S

I've just got the rig running in (Nvidia) Dual-View on a 19" and a new 42"-er. I have to select the 42" as the primary monitor, but when I do, FS9 gives me a 1920X1080 resolution selection in the hardware tab. The sim loads up the PMDG 744, and runs fine on the 42"-er at 1920 X 1080. Every thing works. I spend some real time in that real seat and the view feels "life sized." Actually, it feels as if I'm tOO close to the panel At least for the PMDG airplane (and I suspect most others with these big views) the pilot seat needs to be RemoVed. At this screen size, it feels that I'm sitting too close to the panel. I want to pan straight back to get further away from the panel and to increase my field-of-view. However when I pan straight back, that darn pilot's seat is in the way. I pan right back into its virtual seatback and find myself view blocked by PMDG's virtual lambskin cushion cover. Even moving the seat to a max back position is not near enough. The 1st observer's seat need to go too. That's about where I want to be. I'll post this over with the PMDG guys, but thought the big-screeners here might run into the same thing. Here's another observation: The view field-of-view does not expand at this wide screen resolution. It provides the same field-of-view as the standard sized (non-wide screen) 19" sitting right next door. Is there a switch in config file that need to be set?Don't know why, but FSX will not run at 19X10. The selection is there, but all I get is a big black FSX window. Any Ideas?The first approach I flew felt all off kilter. I'm used to sitting in the middle of the screen. With this life sized cockpit, the middle is the cockpit's pedestal. I had been trying to fly this thing strattling the pedestal (ouch!) and it really thew off my lateral judgment. I found had to move my chair over to the left side of the screen so I was actually in the pilots position. And BTW, my 6600GT is getting 10-15+ FPS in FS9 and the PMDG Vcockpit, but that's about all I've ever gotten. Gotta say though, any AA is just a dream. Even without AA, the cockpit's fine. The life sized PFD/ND/MCP/ETC look great. Outside is a different story. Jaggies everywhere. This about the same performance I have been getting at 12x10 with AA. With the Q and a decent Vcard, this is gonna be a dream.Boy, I'm really wondering about the THTG setup. These 19X10 resolution, 42' monitors are 800 bucks these days. Two, spanned 42" monitors will give a life sized forward cockpit. If I could pan straight back a ways further, then widen the FOV, this single 42" will be gettin' real close.So, is there a wide screen setting I've missed?

You CAN fly with a 2D View AND a wide screen ! All you need is triple monitors. My horizon covers a 195

Guest over and out

Thats not what I'm asking. It was just an observation that there is an option in FS9 for wide screen resolution. Also, widescreen monitors were not main stream like they are now, but one could go out and buy a widescreen monitor back in 2004. I think Microsoft developers were smart enough back then to do this, it was just left out.I do most of my flying VC anyhow so I really dont care that much, as I said it was just an observation - the WS technology was available in 2004 and FS9 did not support it then and did not after several years in which a patch could have been made?

>Hey all,>>I mentioned on our teamspeak that I was looking at buying a>22" widescreen monitor. I was warned that widescreen creates>problems on panels in FS9, such as some buttons/guaes will not>function.>>Is this true. I'd love to upgrade my monitor !!!>>jimdx00@yahoo.com>>Thanks....Jim>>:-hmmm I use 2 24"Dell wide screen monitors. I don't have any problems with 2D panel striching or problems. I love it and can't imagine going back to anything else. A few rules you must consider when using wide screen in FS9.1.Your GPU must be strong enough to run the monitor at its native resolution.(I use an Nvidia 7600 GTX)1A.Your power supply needs to be a quality 500w or above.2.you must set up the monitor at its native resolution thru it's hardware properties and in FS9 display resolution options.All should work fine after that.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64