Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Captain

Victoria glideslope lights missing.

Guest The Captain

I fly around British Columbia/Northwest Washington area a lot & use runway 27 at Victoria quite often & am surprised to see that the usual vasi/papi lights are missing - well they are in my FS9! Is this just a problem with my sim or are they missing for everyone? Thanks,TerryW. (Just bought FE - WOW!)

Terry- They are also missing for me. But the R27 approach lights are quite different from norm and Ive wondered is there any way they disclose glide slope? Sad to admit I'm not up on the varieties of approach lights & haven't had time to investigate. Anyone?Alex Reid CYYJ (UT is my WOW)

Rwy 27 in the default CYYJ has a 15 strobe ALSF-1It doesn't have a VASI or PAPI.If yours is different - check to see if someone has modified it in their addon AFCAD. If not, you have some type of scenery conflict.

Hi Reggie- 15 strobe ALSF-1 sounds about right for what I'm seeing at CYYJ R27. Any comments on how it works- does it show Glideslope somehow? Thanks- your help appreciated. Alex Reid CYYJ( a very smart teacher once told me it's the dumb ones who don't ask questions!)

Had a look at the Canadian Flight Supplement for ALSF lights- It only show ALSF-2. Category II/III These lights appear to give distance but not glideslope. From 2400'out- to 1000'out -narrow lateral rows of white sequenced flashing lights on centre line.At 1000' 3 linear bands of red lights.At 500' 2 lateral bands of white lights between the linear reds.At Threshold A band of Green lights full width of runway. I should have looked this up long ago- I live only a half mile from YYJ R27 !! Oh well, never too old to learn.Alex Reid

Just tried a night circuit in the Dreamfleet Baron- The FS9 lights are close enough to the above descrip. to be useful. Make sure to calibrate your altimeter- there's no glideslope guidance! (key :(Alex Reid

A little further research on approach lighting at CYYJ R27 : The Canada Air Pilot shows this lighting as type AE which, per the Flight Supplement is: Centre Row, Min length 2400'- a single white linear row, changing to red at 1000' with green transverse lights at the threshold. Got that? There will be a short exam Monday morning.Another night circuit confirms that Bill Gates and his FS9 merry crew got it right- well almost! (I was a bit premature on my prior post.)Alex Reid At CYYJ not far from R27 !

No discussion of CYYJ R27 Approach would be complete without this-NOTAM To Virtual Airmen & Women-CYYJ RWY 27 approach terrain may be up to 63 feet BELOW Threshold elev. Caution advised when using RADIO Altimeter on this approach.Advise monitoring Glideslope on 108.7 for Visual approaches.Alex Reid (subject closed- I hope!)

Guest Dan G Martin

Hello there Terry I don't believe that runway 27 has VASI in real lifeFor many years in Canada if a runway had an ILS to full CatI minimums(200 and 1/2) the old regulations did not allow a visual approach lighting system to be installed on that end of the runway. The lighting system that's installed on runway 27 is of the old standard so that's why you don't see any VASI on runway 27. 09 has VASI because it's minimums are higher so it's not a CatI runway.Please note that most of the lighting standards in Canada have been updated several years ago so that in fact the approach lighting on 27 no longer meets the new standards so it will need to be upgraded to the new Cat I standard (SSALR)with PAPI in the future. Hope this has been of some help to you. Dan Martin.

Guest The Captain

Thank you for all this information. I am glad to hear fs9 has CYYJ right even if only almost. I thought I had a gremlin in the works.I've just taken Mike Stone's Lear35 in at dusk & can now read the lightsOK & they look great in a screen-shot too. A great place is Victoria - a pity I was really last there in car, but then the ferry ride to Seattle was a great way to travel too!Cheers,Terry.

Guest The Captain

Thank you Alex - Id love to but not perhaps this year. My 93 yr old mother is in a nursing home & is now becoming very fragile, & I have hopes of starting flying lessons this summer!!I've done all my touring in BC after flying in to Seattle to see friends in Issaquah, then touring the Olympic penninsular (Hurricane Ridge/Ho Rain Forest, etc) & then over to Victoria from Port Angeles. Flying in over The Rockies gave me the urge to get to Vancouver by the Trans-Canada railway for a change so I hope it's still running! I mooched around Galcier National Park the last time I was over - an unforgettable trip.I've twice been flown around Mts.Rainier & St.Helens in a small Mooney owned by a Pam Am captain who was at the controls of my flight back here just as he retired & they went bust, so all in all I have some wonderful memories & would love now I'm retired, to come back!! You are lucky to live a wonderful part of the world! All good wishes,TerryW.

Can anyone confirm that DME is missing in FS9 for Victoria, CYYJ Rwy 27 (ILS 108.7) ? R09 ILS is on a common 108.7 freq. and DOES have DME.Approach Plates show DME for both. Did MS get it wrong? Or me?Alex Reid

The code for the airport in the AP915140.bgl file does not have DME selected for that localizer/ runway.What is the date of your approach plate? Remember FS2004 is approx Oct 2002 data.Because both ends of the runway use the same frequency for different localizers - you should use AFCAD to disable backcourse on both localizers. This is a default FS setting for all localizers worldwide.It can sometimes cause user aircraft to capture the wrong end localizer and have no glide path in FS.

Approach plates are Feb/04. I have no problem picking up correct localizer- just no DME avail. on R27 - only on R09. I'm pretty sure there is a real life 27DME- both 27 & 09 are used in fairly low vis.I'll be at the BC Aviation Museum tomorrow for their annual Open House- should be somebody there who knows!! Thanks.Alex Reid