Sign in to follow this  
djgodden

No graphic card listed in FS9

I'm at a loss for this one. A couple months ago I noticed my screen suddenly got really jerky. It got so bad that I quit playing FS9 after a couple days TS. I decided to look at it again today and noticed that there isn't a graphics card listed in the graphics settings. I suspect that this is my problem but I cannot figure out how to get it listed again. I have a Radeon X800 GTO 256mb. Anyone out there with an idea short of reinstallation of FS9?

JoelYou need to find your fs9.cfg file: first back it up and/or rename it eg fs9.cfg.ori; then delete the original fs9.cfg. It is usually found in C:Documents and Settings"user name"Application DataMicrosoftFS9. Then open fs9 and it will rebuild a new cfg file (all settings will be lost but can be copied from the back-up cfg file). This "new" cfg file should "find" your video card, you should see a line like this: "DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon X800 GTO" or similar.However, you may have some corruption in your video card driver and it may be worthwhile uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver and repeating the above.Hope this helpsPeter Hayes

I tried both idea and neither one worked for me. I did find that my video card driver just had an update on the 17th and updated that. I even tried an old cfg file that has the correct video card information in it, to no avail. About three weeks ago I had a problem with a driver that made it appear that sectors of my hard drive were bad. Several chkdsk runs showed a couple corrupted sectors. Not sure if this is part of the problem. Do you think I'll have to delete and reinstall? Can I do a second install without damaging the first install? On a different hard drive (since I have 4).Regards,

Guest wayupthere

Joel,Go about this, and specially #2 and #61: Un-install your drivers.2: Run DriverCleaner + CCleaner Ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com DriverCleaner: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=7453: Delete your FS9.cfg4: Reboot computer, and upon startup, cancel any request windows makes saying " New display adaptor found"5: Install your new drivers.6: re-install DirectXNow fire up FS and see if your issue is solved._________________Regarding your drive, if its already showing signs of dying, my advice, start backing up your data and replace it.

Try: Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapter ...if your card does not show up it's maybe jiggled loose or it's toast. If it does show up click on the name and under General it should say if the driver is working properly. That's how I found out a couple of weeks ago that my Radeon 9800XT had fried because the card fan airways had clogged up with dust. Barring me removing the card fan and opening it up I had no way of knowing by a visual inspection. Probably your card is not constructed like mine was.Good luck Gary

Gary points out a very good reason to "get into" your case every month or so for a good cleaning!! I live in Colorado, in a fairly dry and dusty environment, and would not think of going more than a month without opening up my system case and doing a thorough cleaning with canned compressed air. Vic

Guest il fanciullo

I recently bought a more powerful PC from a friend. Set it up and did a check of the GPU and CPU temps, it's important to do this regularly. I found that running FS9 my GPU was reaching 83 C, way too high for comfort. I stripped out the case and blasted all fans and filters with compressed air, the Radeon X800 cooling fan was full of crap! Put it all back together and I'd managed to reduce the max temp by around 10 C.Use ATITool or TrayTools to monitor your temps while your GPU is working hard, if they look high (you can find recommended temps on the web) have a good clean out especially if your PC is on the floor and you've got carpets.

>Joel,>>Go about this, and specially #2 and #6>>1: Un-install your drivers.>>2: Run DriverCleaner + CCleaner> Ccleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com> DriverCleaner:>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745>>3: Delete your FS9.cfg>>4: Reboot computer, and upon startup, cancel any request>windows makes saying " New display adaptor found">>5: Install your new drivers.>>6: re-install DirectX>>Now fire up FS and see if your issue is solved.>>_________________>>Regarding your drive, if its already showing signs of>dying, my advice, start backing up your data and replace>it.>>Tried it all and still don't have a video card listed. Thanks, can I try a second install?

The only program having problems identifying my gpu is FS9. Even FSX sees it ok. I'm assuming that something happened to FS9 and I'll need to do a complete reinstall, a pain in the butt but it seems it's necessary.