Sign in to follow this  
strider

Suggestions for freeware 747's?

I'm looking for suggestions/reviews of the freeware 747's available. The POSKY website is a "Ball of Confusion" to me...models everywhere, paints everywhere but which model is required? SP 4,5 and on and on. POSKY might make a good freeware 747 (I wouldn't know)but the site is daunting and confusing to the point of scaring me off. I see the IFLY 747 and it's a pretty "young" FS9 addon so I'm looking into it. The Meljet 747 seems a bit long in the tooth, so to speak. Please share your comments, thoughts and experiences with any of these...or other's I may not know about. Thanks gang! Vic

I agree, the POSKY site can be confusing but many of their paints are released with the full aircraft file model and texture included. It may be confusing but their aircraft are well worth the extra work. I don't think their exterior models can be beat.I do wish their system was a little easier to navigate and I really wish that every repainter included the model files with the textures. Sure it saves a little time to download just the textures but with 16 models for the 747-200, it can get a little confusing.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have a lot of Posky 747s and also there latest 737s (a nice touch with these models each one comes with its own push back vehicle and bloke).I usually convert most of the plane textures to dxt3 from 32 but apart from that and sometimes the pogoing aircraft problem(not exclusive to Posky)They are very nice indeed although some of there effects ie smoke from rear if you take off to steeply and firework effects(meant to be engine fire if you don't land correctly are a little naff)I can recommend them.I think all these freeware developers deserve our support.If you are a more advanced simmer the I-Fly maybe the one for you,but i believe a bit of a learning curve is called for.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

in terms of looks the Posky 747 is the best freeware 747... but IMO the FDE's are horrible (not only their 747's I might add), they require a lot of tweaking (at least for me) to get them to feel "right". so I would say stay clear of Posky at all cost unless you have a good replacement FDE and the know how to merge them.the ifly 744 is the best system wise, but it's really heavy on the frames and the model is nothing to write home about.I don't have any experience with the Meljet model as I never used it, but from what I've seen it's just plain old.In my opinion there is no really good freeware 747 available, all have their flaws, which make them frustrating to fly. but I guess it's up to you what you find can tolerate :)

why freeware? the best old and new 747s are both payware. For old school, the ready for pushback classic 747, and for new school, the PMDG 744-400 and -400Fwell worth the price of admission!

I agree with most of the guys above, the quintesence of which is what Alex stated. My personal advice is: do not waste your time. Buy PMDG and start studying its operation. Although the learning curve make be quite steep (especially if you have never flown realisticly before), it is definitely worth trying (as well as for other high level aircraft too).As I am a typical try-everything-out simmer I did have some experience with both POSKY (even trying to merge it with PMDG panel) and IFly.POSKY models LOOK great if you ask me. And have nice wing views ;)And IFly? Well, it is incredible that someone made such a complicated simulation for free. Hats off to those guys. But my FPS were killed and I had some trouble flying it.If, for some reasons, you cannot or just don't want to pay for PMDG, you do not have much choice left if you mean our recommandations. Other folks may disagree but this is what I wanted to advise.Best regards,Rafal

Thanks for all the replies, gang. The reason for asking about freeware is that I'm not sure how much I would fly a 747 as yet. I thought some experience with something that large might be a good thing before spending any money. BTW, I have all the PMDG 737's so I am familiar with the steep learning curve. I also have some others, though less detailed Payware (DF 727, CS 707 IK DC9, ES CitationX, etc.). I like the PMDG products but I must also confess to being an old "steam gauge" lover, as you can see from my "classic" payware! This makes the 747 RFP an interesting possibility. You've given me plenty to think about. Thanks! Vic

>The reason for asking about freeware is that I'm not sure how much I would fly a 747 as yet. I thought some experience with something that large might be a good thing before spending any money.if thats the case, why not have a look at the overland collection? their 744 exterior is excellent and you get a bunch of other detailed models as well (both Airbus and Boeing), and with some minor tweaks they are extremely fun to fly as well.. granted, system simulation isn't detailed at all.>I like the PMDG products but I must also confess to being an old "steam gauge" lover, as you can see from my "classic" payware! This makes the 747 RFP an interesting possibility.same here, if it's a jet and 25+ years old I'm flying it :)granted I do enjoy some of the newer jets as well.

Anyone had any experience with the "eDimensional 747-400F"? How old is the RFP 747-200? Thanks! Vic

For years now I have heard about the PMDG 747 that I am going to buy it just because of all the raving about it. Pricey though.Also I have RFP 747. It is one of the only aircraft that gave me the feeling of flying a massive, heavy bird. LDS 767 did not do that. Also I could fly the RFP 747 with the auto pilot controling the altitude and me controling the left and right flight with the joystick. I like that. Probably can't do that with PMDG.JimCYWG

nothin like hand flying either the PMDG -400/F or the RFP classic with no auto-pilot control