Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tomahawk674

Quick iFly 747 FMC question

Guest Tomahawk674

Hey guys, I have a quick simple question about the iFly 747's FMC.Is there a way to get destination airport information? specially the ILS frequencies of the runways? I hate having to go to the map screen and clicking on the airport to find out, and if I recall correctly an FMC should be able to provide you that info after you select a runway for landing, I just don't know how to do it.

Guest atc161

Hi, If you select an arr rwy from the arr/dep page and it has an ILS it should automatically select the freq and and OBS for that rwy. You can check on the NAV page on the left LSK. It may say park until you get close enough to the airport then should change to the selected ILS freq. You can also put it in manually for eg 109.30/061 in that format. Hope this helps.Cheers Nelson

Guest Tomahawk674

That's what I though I had read, it is supposed to tune the ILS automatically, but it doesn't, it just says PARK on the NAV/RAD like you said.I'll do some more testing later. Where does the iFly FMC keep that frequency/runway information? it doesn't use the FS2004 database, it has its own right?Hmm...

Guest Tomahawk674

Ok I figure that out, however I was hoping someone could help me with a related issue.How do you properly enter the arrival runway? Here's the thing, on my original flight plan, I set the airport as my last waypoint, and I think that is how you're supposed to do it right? i.e. If I'm flying to KMCI, KMCI will be the last thing I enter in the route section.When it comes time to select a landing runway, I go to the DEP/ARR page and select ILS19R for example, which creates a route discontinuity. The manual does state this though, but it doesn't state how it is to be resolved. Also, since it HAD KMCI as my last waypoint, when selecting the runway it adds the discontinuity AFTER the KMCI waypoint, which doesn't make any sense, at least to me.I'd appreciate some enlightenment here if you don't mind. The manual doesn't help at all, and the tutorials I've read are vague about the subject.

Discontinuities always cause FMCs to stop sequencing, thus this can be the root cause the radnav page tells you 'park'.Get rid of the disco before the rwy by deleting it or use a direct to. If iFly is not buggy, passing the last wpt before the rwy should make the ILS frequency become active on the radnav page...Andreas

Guest Tomahawk674

Yeah I noticed how to get the ILS auto-tuning. I just have to properly set the runway, and take care of the discountinuities, which I'm doing some major reading on at the moment.I found out a lot of editing can be done on the LEGS page instead of the RTE page.

RTE page is only for quick assembly of the route. It basically allows to enter waypoints and more important airways and exit points. Many things can't be entered here (e.g. p-b-d wpts), and the functionality is limited. Once the basic skeleton of the desired route is typed in, change to the LEGS page and make all modifications there.Discontinuities are no miracle and very easy to handle. They mainly exist because the FMC cannot look into the brain of the operator and thus forsee what his intentions are, and sometimes they get inserted because more input is needed and to kind of attract the attention to route construction.And in case all else fails, there's still the option to do everything by hand. Even if the FMC does a lot, it needs constant supervision and you need to know what to do in case you need to disconnect the automatics. Never rely on autoflight and think that everything goes well. FMCs are just computers which run software, and software usually has bugs...Andreas