Sign in to follow this  
DaryllB25840

TBM 700 , getting it to slow down

To me it seems to take a little too long to get the TBM 700 and 850 to slow down for the flare during landing without floating.There are other turbo props in flight sim that exhibit the same tendency.It seems better when the condition lever (mixture) is pulled back to a ground idle position but I don't think it's correct to land this way when the aircraft is still airborne. It seems that the engine should still be in flight idle until firmly on the ground.What factors control this and is it part of flight tuning? thanks

Daryll:If it's the TBM that I have, it has speed brakes on the wings. Try hitting the spoiler key and then looking at the wing for a odd shaped protrusion on the wing. Try while looking at the aircraft from out side to see what happens.RichardS

Hi RichardSYes I tried them and they seem to be more like spoilers than speed brakes. Using Control + E for start up gives a stable engine rpm around 22,000 which presumably is the ground idle (mixture control) position. Advancing the mixture control to the flight idle position just before entering the runway for takeoff increases the engine RPM by about 10,000 rpm to around 32,000. The only success that I've had for a decent landing was to pull the mixture control back to ground idle on final, which was around 39% if you have your tool tips box checked in the setup. My only concern was incase of a go-around and that the engine wouldn't be spooled up to flight idle rpm.Thanks for your input.