Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Add-on FS2002 adventures like this?

BarryWell to be honest there aren't many adventures in these FS2k2 days, well not VFR GA type ones anyway. Used to be lots in the days of 'Flight Shop' and FS5,6 etc.Most simmers seem to want to be 'airline pilots' I'm afraid.I also enjoyed Fermin's VFR adventure and decided that it was time I learnt how to do 'adventure programming'as I've never done any sort of programming before.My first step was to get a book on 'Basic' to understand easy programming concepts.One of the 'Teach Yourself in 24 hours' type is fine!I realised that the current FS2k2 adventure language 'ABL'was miles away from 'Basic' so I downloaded the 'APL-SDK' from the FS2000 site. APL adventures still run on FS2k2.That gave me the documents to see what 'I was up against'! I discovered that Simsystems (another Aussie connection) make a great sharewhare tool called 'Adventure IDE'. This helps sort out your APL coding and uses 'APLC32'to compile it.So I now am able to produce simple coding that produces results in FS2k2 and am working toward producing an adventure that will do a complete 'circuit'of my home UK airfield. This is based on the sample adventure that comes in the APL sdk, which has taught me a lot, mainly because it seems to be full of little coding 'catches' to make you learn as you go. Go on have a try at making your own and if anyone out there knows of other things that we should be doing to help this learning process please tell us.DaveT

Thanks for the reply David.As Fermin said to me in an email, FS2002 adventures don't seem to "excite" many people - as evidenced by the lack of replies to my post! :(I can't really understand why -- except maybe for the fact that there is quite a bit of effort in flying them- a bit like the effort involved in flying Oleksiy Frolovs' Dash8-300 .I have always felt that the BIGGEST letdown in the FS2002 package was the fairly poor implementation of the lessons . The first few PPL lessons were quite OK - except for the abysmal sound quality -- but then in the later lesons involving the jet aircraft ,they seemed to just fade away as though they ran out of time to put something decent together.I will download these Adventure SDKs myself and see what I can make out of them.Barry