Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Accuracy of FS9's Time Keeping

Does anyone know how accurate the timekeeping is within FS9? I am aware that it lags behind real time somewhat, but I thought this was due to the fact that it slows down or stops during a flight as scenery is loaded or paused to keep the flight time realistic. In other words, if you're not moving, neither is the time. This makes sense. I have FS Realtime installed which keeps the time coordinated with real world UTC time, but I was always wondering how accurate FS's time is compared to a real world flight given the exact same weather and flight conditions for any given aircraft. (Has anyone ever compared the time of an actual flight they have taken to the same one in FS?) Thanks. Tom

Guest aarskringspier

You can track a flight on flightaware etc in real time and fly the same route in FS using a quality add on aircraft and youll be pretty well spot on.

a few days ago i flew EGCC-LGSRand made some errors.a friendly member of the VA i'm withmade a plan for me at work,andshowed me i took on 1700KG less fuel then i'd need,incidentally,the flight time given by his realworld systemtaking into accounts winds and all that,matched my virtual actual flighttime.my flight was done using a program that syncs time.cheersJP.

I've never had a problem with the time slipping more than a few seconds over a multi-hour flight.But every time the top menu is used, every time Alt + Print Screen is used to take a screen shot - FS pauses. Those can add up over a long flight.I used to use FS Realtime, but a flight tracking program I use cannot handle the way FS Realtime resets the time. It thinks the flight has been reloaded.

Thanks guys. Am I correct then that FS Reltime only keeps the time in FS up to par with the computer's system time, and that when the time slows down during a flight (on the aircraft's clock) it is due to pauses or stutters during scenery loading(assuming one has'nt paused the sim manually of course)? For example, if a flight should take me exactly 45 minutes in the real world given certain weather conditions and winds, it should also show 45 minutes duration on the plane's timepiece, even though my watch might show an hour or so. Tom

JP, what program do you use to sync the time? Is it FS Realtime? Do you know if FS Realtime syncs the flight time to be more realistic or just keeps the FS time in sync with the system's UTC time? Thanks. Tom

Guest PARADISE

Don't forget about time spent taxing to/from the ramp, radar vectors and/or STARs and SIDS flown,airspeed restrictions, etc. They all add to a planned flight time.John M