Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Am I running out of ram?

So I'm flying along locked at 31FPS when all of a sudden it dramatically drops down to 1 frame per second. I minimize FS and check out Maxmem in my toolbar to see that I am down to about 10 or less percent of ram that is free. I click the icon to free up ram, and after about 30 seconds, the whole process is free. I jump back into FS and the textures are loading back up very slowly and I am getting MAJOR stutters.... Whats going on?

care etc >1GB. Specs are in my sig. :)Duh! I am sorry about that.I wish i could help.Your specs are better than mine and i don't have these problems you describe.I also have 1GB of ram,6600 Nvidea,p4 2,8 s.core.I am currently enjoying my longest period of trouble free FS9 use.(Probably because i have stopped all tweaking and fiddling and just fly the sim every day.I hope you get it sorted out.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I think this might be the day where I yet again, reinstall FS9 and build it back up with my addons from scratch. :)Oh boy.... There goes about 2 hours of time...

Guest TomOOO

Hi1 Gb of RAM is usually sufficient for FS9 and you would not normallyget a problem with exceeding this amount of space. Could be a problem with an addon scenery you have with an empty texture folder -trying flying places without addon scenery - do you get the same problem. Are you sure you don't have another process runningthat starts to access the disk (virus or anti-virus : though I never get problems with anti-virus). I have a machine with 1G and have never experienced this problemand the process uses no more than 800M of memory. Be careful withaddon stuff - some is better than others.As for clicking an icon to free the memory - not sure what you mean here, if it is a free download program - complete waste of timeand of course if you free the memory then all the textures will haveto be loaded again and you, as you see, get major stutters !

Guest baksteen33

>>1 Gb of RAM is usually sufficient for FS9<< I don't want to take you out of context, Tom, but this is probably only valid for AGP systems where you can adjust to a small AGP-Aperture. PCI-e systems are better off with 2GB (if we talk 2-module configs). If there is more memory, it will get used. ;-) Otherwise, I fully agree, free mem and the likes are likely counter productive. Dont we want our stuff to STAY in mem..? ;-) @ Chase, as somebody else already mentioned, maybe over tweaked? Apart from doubtful utilities, HDs sliced into numerous partitions for example? Sometimes slowdowns are heat related, everything clean in da box? Just to exclude a couple of possibilities. If memory isn't failing, you have a s754. If you have 2 modules

Hi Jaap, long time no talk! This is the same computer that you helped me configure som 3 years ago.I think my case might be dirty, so I'll get some canned air and blow it out. As for the mem freeing issue. After my frames would drop to 1 frame a sec, I would inimize the sim and click maxmem's icon in the toolbar. Yes, textures would have to be reloaded but my frames would go back up... Google MaxMem and you'll see the program I use.

>Install only what you will use. It's a healthy sim diet! :)That's actually good advice, 3/4 of what I put on here rarely if ever gets used. Do I really need that JAL PMDG 747-400 paint? Don't think I have ever flown that paint.

My flight's consist of eathier the PMDG 737 in COA paints of the LDS in COA. Yes, I have a few freeware planes, but only what I use for my flights at VCAIR. As far as scenery goes, I have all my FT and my FlightScenery products installed. Basically, only install the payware you use since they use most of your computers resources, and only the scenery you know you will use.