Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

AI aircraft and SVMI (Maiquetia)

Because of the mountains to the immediate south of SVMI, some AI planes don't make it. I know there's a way to 're-route' their approach pattern but is it a complicated process? It's a nice aiport to fly in and out of but many of the AI's that make it past the mountains come in at too high of an altitude to make a landing and have to go missed. Any workaround?Thanks

How is it they don't make it? I have seen AI planes fly right thru mountains unaffected.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Basically - noSVMI was an issue identified long ago when FS started having AI aircraft.If the mountains lined up with the runways, landing AI aircraft would fly through the mountains.SVMI's problem is that FS considers it a mountain airport.That is because FS uses a grid system to identify Minimum Safe Altitudes for approaching aircraft. That grid is pretty coarse.Though it's not terribly inaccurate for SVMI. Looking at the approach plate for the airport landing on Rwy 9 (ILS & VOR plates) (& yes, I know the runway numbers are now 10/28 & 9/27 not 9/27 & 8/26 as in FS)The MSA north of the airport is 5,800 ft (aircraft approach courses between 094 and 244) - to the southeast the MSA is 10,100 (244 - 004) and to the southwest the MSA is 9,000 ft (044-094)For landing on Rwy 9, the aircraft should be at 4,000 ft at DME 11.8. Aircraft approach and make a circling approach keeping 17 nm out from the VOR. (Yes, I know someone has landed on a different, close, visual landing - I'm just reading the appoach plates)AI aircraft will make the ILS Rwy 9 approach and landing - though aircraft arriving from the south will make one missed approach, circle to the north and then land. For Rwy 27, they seldom get low enough to make the landing.Takeoff for aircraft headed south is just as bad. We have no way to make AI aircraft climb before they turn south, so they usually fly right into the mountains. Where in the real world the departure calls for all aircraft to climb to 4,000 ft, intercept the MIQ R-353 and proceed to REKON at DME 17 before being vectored over the mountains.