Sign in to follow this  
Guest MNorm757

Help...my system should perform better

Guest MNorm757

I was suggested on another thread that I start a new one...so here goes.I've followed all of the directions with nHancer and things look much better with FS9. One problem though...My framerates have diminished to a level that seems too low for my new system. I just upgraded to what I would consider a fairly powerful system, yet I can't acheive better then 15 FPS while at cruise and with AI set to minimum. My specs are down below. Any help would be awesome. I was getting mid 20's with my 4 year old P4. BTW I can get 20-22 fps but this is only if I run in windowed mode with the screen size reduced to 3/4 of fullscreen. I have a 22' widescreen...and I just upgraded my video driver to Ver 162.22.Thanks,MarkDell XPS 410 / Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB / 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz / 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS / 22 inch E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel / 32 bit Vista Home Premium / 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

Guest TomOOO

Have you set your AA and AF too high so that your GPU is now limitingyour FPS.1) Turn of AA and AF : what FPS do you get.2) now turn on AA and AF and increase slowly in steps until FPS startsto reduce : you have now balanced load on GPU and CPUThe memory on the GPU is quite small at 128Mbyte, AA and AF both takeup memory, especially if you have a high resolution. Try a smallerresolution to reduce the memory on GPU. When you run out of memoryon GPU it has to use your main RAM : this slows things down a lot.Tom

Guest baksteen33

Not only small... Get the best 8600 or cheapest 8800 and you'll be in FS Nirvana. ;-) Best would be if you could try, you have a fairly high resolution after all. ;-) 256MB are OK for FS9. Good luck and kind regards Jaap

On my system I can run full max in an aircraft like PMDG 747 at Aerosoft Budapest and get 20 FPS sitting at the gate. 100% AI traffic (UT with EVAI and AIA replacements) 1600X1200X32 16XAF 8XAA.I couldn't do this with my 256MB 7800GT.I think your video card is your bottle neck. Mine certainly was.

Guest MNorm757

I'd hate to hear that its my graphics card holding things up...I just spent $1500 on this system and it would be a shame to have to spend another $250+ just to get it to work as well as my old (4 years old!!) one.-Mark

I hated to think so too. But the 8300 is a budget model and 128MB is not going to cut it these days.When I put this system together I kept my 7800GT in it and was very disappointed with the results. Yes things were running faster but not night and day like I expected.Then I put the 8800GTS in it and WOW is all I can say. I really noticed a difference in some other games I play like SH4 and GTR2, they really shine with the new GFX card. FS9 does have it's limits being so old now.Never in my years of gaming have I noticed such a leap forward when it comes to computer systems, not to mention gfx cards. 7800 vs 8800 was like night and day. I never seen that going from GF2 <> GF3 <> GF4 <> 6800 <> 7800. The 8800 blew me away.You know what they say, in for a penny in for a pound.....