Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

FSX on the same computer?

I think I'd like to try putting FSX on my computer, but FS9 will remain the primary simulation program. Will there be ANY conficts having both on the same machine. I ask this because I tried FSX once before, didn't like it, and when I uninstalled it actually messed up some of my FS9 registry files. Thoughts? Thanks.

I read in 'Computer Pilot' magazine that FSX runs alot faster with the SP1 - the reviewer was using a computer configuration similiar to mine. That's the reason for "considering" it - though part of my sanity says to leave well enough alone! :)

The only problem I've ever seen documented is that the FSX uninstall will often (always?) delete the FS2004 Registry entry. But that's no problem as it's easy to rebuild with this program: http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe . I've had both FS2004 and FSX on my system for many months now and, with this single exception, I've never seen a single problem.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest MikeMiraglia

I run FS9, FSX, LOMAC, IL-2, Pacific Fighters, and CFS3 all on one 200GB HD with no problems. I also encountered the FS9 registry problem after uninstalling FSX the first time, but the Tweak FS registry program fixed it in a snap.

All mileage is variable. On this system I see absolutely no performance improvement at all with SP1. But, FSX without SP1 runs just fine so maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.DougP4 3.2E @ 3.680 (1.385 vCore - 230 FSB)Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (BIOS 1023)3GB Corsair XMS-3200C2 (2-3-3-6-2T)1.5 TB of Western Digital HDDATI X850XT PEA-Open 1648 AAP RipperPlextor PX-800A WriterEnermax 431W PSUInwin Case

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I have FS9 and FSX SP1 on my comp and have (so far ;-) ) seen no problems at all. I haven't uninstalled FSX as I use it primarily for VFR and messing about which works just great for me. Anything more complex and my system can't quite handle it. FS9 remains outstanding for complex add-ons like PMDG B744.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest JTEK99

Well, the registry problem becomes a bit more of an issue if the FSX uninstall wipes some other sub-entries in the FS9 registry entry (e.g., Active Camera, etc.).This post has a really good method for ensuring the FS9 registry doesn't get messed up. See JDWalley's post on page 3 (it's currently the last post on that page):http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=20465&page=Nice and detailed method.

Guest JeffPreston

As discussed here, the FSX uninstall has its issues, but I just wanted to add to the list of those who have said that having both programs on the same PC works fine. I know of at least 10 different PCs where this is the case.

Guest The Captain

I've got both in my Dell XPS M1710 laptop & FSX runs a treat but must be on mains power or it does get a bit jerky at big airports.

Guest kingairvols

What about a second hard drive to install either one of your MSFS programs. Maybe it would be more simple to un-install FSX (Hope for no issues) then install FSX on your second hard drive thus keeping the two and the eventual add ons seperate assuring no issues in the event you are forced to un-install down the road anyway.Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

I have had no problem with both of them in one PC.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter