Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

No Traffic at DAAG

Don't suppose you could tell us what it was? I'm very curious as I never had the issue.

Mike...

Yes, of course. It was actually pretty straight forward. I decompiled the faulty bgl file (which I suspected was the culprit from AFCAD2) to an XML file. For some reason only known to its creator all the Delete options at the start of the script ("Delete Airport"; "DeleteAllFrequencies" etc. - there are several of them) were all set to "=true". That's why when I flew to the airport this afternoon, ATC just ignored my approach; DAAG didn't appear as a nearby airport in the ATC box, even when I was flying over the top of it. As AI was switched off by this bgl file, there'd be no traffic at the airport either.So I just changed all the relevant 'true' options to 'false' and saved the file. Then recompiled it as a bgl using BGLCOMP_SDK. And that, as they say, was that ...Bit mystified about your saying you never had the issue. I'd have thought that anyone who had that bgl file active in the DAAG folder would have the same problem?

Hi Martin -Your work on the EXCLUDEDAAG2.BGL file prompted me to do some further experiments and perhaps you will find the results of interest.Although the file name would lead one to think it was an "exclude" of some kind (like ones which excludes trees opr buildings etc.) - using the Afcad program you can see it is just an Afcad for the airport but is completely empty of any runways and everything else - it just has the reference point.So as an experiment, I disabled that file (and your fix also) leaving only the actual afcad (AF2_DAAG.bgl) operational.As far as I can tell, everything works properly that way. Tower communications now work and I watched AI traffic come and go in what appeared to be a normal manner.I did not do extensive testing of everything such as the automated gates etc. and have no idea why the author included that EXCLUDEDAAG2.BGL in the package.Just thought you would be interested in my findings.

Hi David. Yes, removing the file completely works fine, as I mentioned. It works as an AFCAD in tandem with the AF2_XXXX file (there are many 'AFCADs' that show up in Lee Swordy's AFCAD2 as a single red dot. That's only because AFCAD2 can't display the information in them - it's quite normal. These files don't have taxiways, runways etc. in them. (This is also why the general advice about having only one AFCAD file for each airport is a bit misleading - if one is one of these 'red dot' files, then that is how the scenery should be).The EXCLUDEDAAG2.BGL does in fact contain a number of exclude parameters, and though I didn't see much 'damage' when I simply removed the file altogether, I thought a better option would be to edit it, leaving the excludes intact; presumably the author put them there for some reason (??).Did you open up the file to xml format so that you can see the contents? You need 3rd. party tools to do this - I am not sure how 'into' this kind of stuff you are. I seem to spend much more time tinkering with files like this than actually flying!MartinBTW - always wondered: what's the 'Opa' bit in your name mean? :-)

Opa is the German (and several other languages) word for Grandfather. My second son married a German gal (fantastic cook) so all of the grandkids know us as Oma (Grandmother) and Opa.I too seem to spend far more time "tinkering" than flying. But that is great fun also - love to see why something works or doesn't.I also decompiled the exclude bgl and viewed the contents both as an xml and also just using notepad and saw the excludes also. I just thought it strange they would be placed that way rather than in one or more "normal" exclude bgls.Guess we will never know the author's intent unless we ask him.

These type of afd files seem to be used a lot for navaid replacement (not possible in AFCAD) and runway renumbering. I don't know the details but I'll bet that if you look at the results with and without it something subtle has changed.I do not recall the details but I alerted the developers of a problem on their forum and they did post a fix. The problem was made apparent when makerwys.exe, a utility used to build Radar Contacts airport scenery database, created incorrect information and I digested its logs and reported what I found.If you are on their forum for DAAG you might still find my post. This had to do with priority of layers.

What a difference a year makes! Thank you for the fix.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Just a couple of days ago I was wondering if anyone ever came up with a fix for this but I never got around to searching. I finally had some time today and I wasn't really looking for it but there it was.I am surprised that so few people had this problem. It really is nice scenery - probably the best freeware for northern Africa.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad