Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankcubillos

GFORCE tweak document

Hi Zack,Thanks for your feedback.The file that need to be patched is given correctly in the guide. I checked this whilst writing the guide and, whilst writing this response I have checked again just to be sure.Producing the guide for the community was an absolute pleasure, and the feedback in this post (and in this forum) has genuinely touched me.If you have any other issues, Zack, feel free to mail me via private email address - given in the guide - as I am more than happy to help.Andrew

Guest Kurt

The win9x file that needs the lod/ansio patch scripts run on it is nvdd32.dll file.Kurt M

Guest PaulL01

Andrew,As Kurt points out you need to update your guide as different OS's require different DLLs (win98-Me/Win2k-XP).

Hi,Never occured to me that W9X/ME drivers would require a differing file.Thanks for the tip - appreciated.Andrew

Hi,I have been trying for some time to install the Nvidia (downloaded from their archive) 29.42 drivers with no luck. I uninstall the prev.driver from control panel and proceed to install the 29.42 drivers.After each install I still see the last drivers installed when I gointo display/properties. I checked and noted that the Nvidia folderstill exists with all the files from the previous driver(s). By uninstalling through the control panel should that not remove all traces of the old drivers.I can install any other driver(s) with no problem, exept the 29.42.Would anybody know why? and how would I remedy this?ThanksHelmut Berger

HelmutBy what means are you trying to install the 29.42's as this should not be causing you any any problem.Please can you offer more info so I can help (Card type, intall method, etc...)Free free to mail me dirctly is you wish :-)Andrew Tingle

HiI too have had this problem, for some unknown reason they do not install themselves.My work around is to use winzip to unzip the self installing 29.42 driver into a temporary folder. Change the driver to a standard VGA Uninstall the original driver in control panel, delete the nvidia folder in explorer, run detonator destroyer. Reboot.Aftet boot up:-Go into display properties, select settings, select advanced, select adaptor, select change, select next, select search for better driver, select browse and point it towards your temporary folder and let it install the driver.There is probably an easier way. It is also possible on the reboot to actually get a menu which shows up which will allow you to browse straight away to the tempory folder to install the new drivers, but this does not always happen for some unknown reason.I also find that I need a couple of reboots before I get all the resolutions available ie 32 bit.Zack Laws

Guest lamont

Andrew,Your document is very well thought out and will undoubtely help many. The previous post touched on something I was curious about. In your doc you do not mention "detonator destroyer" as one of the needed programs/files.Is it better to delete, then run destroyer before installing the new drivers? One other question and this is in general, how exactly do you tell which drivers you currently have? Thanks.

Hi,Personally I do not use the destroyer, so didn't touch upon this is the guide as this can lead to problems (esp. with XP) and the guide was aimed at beginners - if I proceed with an Advanced Guide then I will cover this.To tell what drivers - Right click on desktopGo to propertiesSettingsAdvancedAdapterPropertiesDriverIt will be listed under: Driver revision(this is going from XP)Hope this helps, and thank you for the feedback :-)Andrew

First, Andrew, may I add my thanks for your excellent efforts. Many of us diehards were already familiar with these tweaks but noone had taken the trouble to lay them out in such a clear and helpful fashion...until now, that is!I have a GeForce4 Ti4400 and before reading your document I had my Anisotropic settings at level 8 and MipMapping level of detail (LOD) at -0.1 These settings produce a particularly nice image and if you are like me and prefer to load extended textures the quality was convincing all the way out to the distance where ground texture detail faded to a subtle blur - just like reality, in fact.Anisotropic level of 8 is fine and eminently achievable with a GeForce4 but there is a small but significant performance hit, so a reduction in this setting is desirable. Your guide suggested trying an LOD setting of -0.8 combined with an anisotropic level of 2. I set the former at -0.8 and the latter at level 4 and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the quality of image was at least as good as it was with my pre-TingleGuide settings.Below are a couple of Before and After images, with Anisotropic level set at 4, captured in a window after applying the LOD setting according to your guide:AF=4 LOD = -0.1http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6d361a79250f56.jpgAF=4 LOD = -0.8http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6d36e17b46546e.jpgThanks again. Your guide encouraged me to take another look and experiment further.Mike :-wave

Mike,Hey, if I met you, I'd buy your a beer !!:-beerchugI wanted to put screen images in the guide but file size quickly became an issue - so these, and some other graphics, have to be chopped out :-(Thank you for your post/s Mike - All the best,AndrewPS:( Working like a dog to put together the first edition of FS-In-flight magazine but now going to bed - zzzzzzzzz )Got the logo sorted, at least - but still need to complete the banner. Why do these things take so long :-)Good news with respect to the guide now, though:http://fsgateway.com/rivatunerbeginnerstweakingguide/Am working on producing an Advanced guide now, but the magazine is taking priority for the time being.Okay. Bed time.

Guest lamont

Andrew:Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked about the drivers is I guess than currently I have 28.32 if I'm reading the info correctly. I'm using WIN98SE. My card is a Gforce 2 MX 200. Thanks again.

...before this thread slips away.Last night I went for a spin from Lago's Emma Field. Took off and climbed out over the trees and turned to struggle ;) over the mountains before completing the circuit by returning to the airfield. As I prepared for my descent I looked to the left and my draw dropped...I could not believe what I was seeing! Now, it would not be so very far from the truth to state that I am bordering on being the archetypal obsessive where it comes to that search for the ideal compromise between texture clarity and fluidity in this sim. At last, it would appear I have found nirvana! http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e6db5da28c6d24b.jpgMy System Spec:Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBoIntel Pentium 4 2.4GHz512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram3D Blaster4 Ti4400 (Creative's 30.82 driver variants tweaked with RivaTuner LOD -0.8 and Anisotropy forced level 4)Sony Multiscan G200 17" MonitorSB Audigy Player (Drivers version 5.12.01.0253 Signed)Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 HDs x 2 (60 and 40 Gig)CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and FighterstickPlantronics Headset and Mike comboPlexWriter 40/12/40APioneer DVD-106SWindows XP Home Edition (SP1)DirectX 9.0AGP Aperture = 128MB(TERRAIN)TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=3.470000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=7.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=3....AND, it's me who should be buying the beers, Andrew :)Cheers!Mike :-wave

HiThe problem here is that when I unzip the "41.09_win2kxp.exe" I have a file: nv4_disp.dl_ not *.dll and this file is not reconized by Tiva Tuner.Help needed.Thanks in advanceRegardsC.M.G.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Cruachan,That looks almost too good to be real! I'll try your settings.