Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankcubillos

GFORCE tweak document

Hi guysThe comprehensive Gforce3 tweak guide available on this forum is a super piece of work........congratulations to the author.My question is do these tweaks work for Gforce4 cards? I am running windows xp with a Gforce Ti4200 card with 41.09 drivers and the results are ok but like most simmers I want more;)

Guest Lobaeux4

Probably couldn't hurt to try. Just remember your settings so you can go back to them if you're not pleased.I agree that the doc was very well done. It looked very professional and I was slightly suprised when I downloaded it. Very informative, especially for the newbie.Lobaeux

Thank you both very much for the kind comments with respect to my guide - it very much appreciated.I have received numerous emails stating that these tweaks also work very well with GeForce 4 cards and - though I do not own one myself - and have now reason to disbelieve this.(Certainly the hints with respect to FS2002.cfg and vis settings will assist you in a fairly pronounced fashion)By all means, give it a try and see if it works for you. If not then at least the stepping stone is in place for you to work towards the settings you prefer.Glad you liked the guide!Andrew Tingle

Sorry guys - I made a spelling error in the last post - "I have received numerous emails stating that these tweaks also work very well with GeForce 4 cards and - though I do not own one myself - and have **now** reason to disbelieve this."Ops - I meant: no reason to disbelieve this.Sorry - feedback re. GeForce 4's has been very, very positive.Next time I will readback my posts a little more carefully OR spend less time in the pub :-beerchugAndrew

Guest cast1010

Hello everybody,Andrew, I also would like to join this thread and congratulate you for an excellent and very helpful document. :-beerchugAlthough I haven't used it (yet), I know I will very soon, just wanted to ask you if your guide works also for the old GeForce 2 MX440. And what driver should I use.I would like to tell you and to everybody a short story about something that happened to me a month ago.Before, these are my specs:Pentium IV (Celeron) 1.7 GHzMotherboard Intel D845EBG2256 Mb RAM (DDR)40 GB Hard DriveOn-board SoundGeForce 2 MX440 64 Mb/NVIDIA driver (29.42 before) (41.09 now)Windows XPDirectX 8.1FS2002 proOK, this is what happened:I used to run my sim with a resolution of 800x600x16 and always got like 7-10 fps (locked at 15) in any default scenery with AA OFF, all the sliders at MAX but Water reflections and Cast shadows OFF. Usually, each time I pressed the ALT key to access the menu within FS2002, the panel turned purple and eventually, FS crashed to the desktop. The only way to avoid this was setting the resolution to 32 bits, but this caused a noticeable drop in the FPS. Of course, I wasn't happy with the results. :-grrThen, reading all the posts in this forum I decided to play a little with my video card's settings and try others drivers. I downloaded the 41.09 and installed it as usual. Then, in the driver's properties screen, in the OppenGL Settings tab, I CHECKED the box "Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction set".Went back to FS2002, for my surprise, I noticed that the FPS were steady at 15, then I changed the resolution to 32 bits...a small drop in the FPS occurred. Went back to 16 bits, locked the FPS at 20, and voila...20 fps. Then changed the resolution to 1200x1024x16 and the FPS were steady at 20. With this resolution I think that the AA is not very important, it could improve the image quality of course, but I can't afford that in this moment, so, I'm happy with my settings now. :DThe odd thing happened two weeks ago. Also, after reading more and more posts about drivers, and FPS, etc, I decided to try others drivers. Before install the others drivers I made a restore point in Windows, just in case.I tried with almost every driver I could find, with all of them the results were as the beginning, unacceptable, doesn't even checking the box that I mentioned above solved any problem. At this point, I was scared, after enjoying 20 fps I found myself in 8 fps again. Thanks god I made that restore point, because that was the only way to get back the 20 fps. I still don't know what went wrong, I installed all the drivers as instructed, I didn't install any other software or hardware while I was doing this experiment, and I'm talking about one or two hours of tweaking. In conclusion, I'm back to 20fps, I'm happy with it, but I don't know why I need more. I will upgrade my computer after FS-COF is released, but for now I would like to try with your guide and see if overclocking my system can improve a little my sim experience. I'm now getting into the VATSIM community and as you probably know, flying online can reduce your FPS a little, I would be happy if I can only get 20 FPS while flying online and in the EXCELLENT Oleksiy Folov's Dash 8. What do you think about this Andrew? Do you think your guide can help me? :-zhelpWhat do you all think? I know there are a lot of pro and veterans simmers here and would appreciate any comment in this matter.Best regards, :-waveCarlos.PS: Sorry for any spelling mistake.

Carlos,Firstly, thank you so much for your kind comments. Its nice to get compliments.User feedback with respect to your card has been very positive. Certainly the settings with respect to fs2002.cfg and the visibility tweak will not hurt.I would give it a go, if I were you ;)If the results are not to your tastes you can easily get back your original settings.(I even had an email from a 3DFX user you told me that it helped him with FS !)I trust this answers your question.(My email address is in the document if you have any problems.)sincere regards,Andrew

Thanks to your guide I was able to keep my same fps and get a great improvement on the quality of my graphics.My fs graphics never looked so good :-)thx AndrewFloydCYVR

Guest cast1010

:-eek WOW, that was fast Andrew, thank you very much. But I still have a doubt, can I get back to my currently settings with a restore point as I did in the story that I told you before?I forgot to mention it before, but when I was having the problems with the drivers testing (mentioned in the other post) I installed the 41.09 drivers (again) and checked the same box in the settings and that didn't solve the problem neither (even though that solved the problem before). The only way to solve the problem was going back to the restore point that I created before start the drivers testing.I hope it doesn't sounds confusing, but that was a really odd thing and I wouldn't like to loose my 20 fps. ;):-hmmm :-hmmm :-hmmmRegards, Carlos.

Carlos,In all honesty I cannot promise anything - and it would be foolish of me to do so.Having said that, I am 99.9% confident that, should you not like the results, you can get back your old settings.Moreover - send me an email to andrtin@aol.com and I will help you as much as I can.Out out interest, have you checked you AGP settings - perhaps you could copy a report from dxdiag and send it to my address.I am more than happy to help you to the best of my abilities.Andrew

I would be very interested in this document. What is the name of it and I'll do a search in the file library for it. ThanksBrian

Hi Brian,Search under bgttv1.zipMany regards,Andrew

I have a Geforce 4 MX440 card. Based on other reviews I decided to go with the latest Omega drivers and then tweaked using your document. I did not make any changes to the drivers themselves but just tweaked the set up. The results were unbelievable. Aircraft such as the Yeo designs USAIR 737-200 that were previously a blurred mess became a highly polished piece of aluminum...amazing. Ground textures were also much better and the panels were crisp and clean. I have a slow machine (PIII 800) so if it can work for me the it will work for you. I did not notice any change in framerates.thanks,Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Guest PaulL01

I downloaded the 41.09 and installed it as usual. >Then, in the driver's properties screen, in the OppenGL >Settings tab, I CHECKED the box "Disable support for >enhanced CPU instruction set". First, OGL is a completely different API than what FS2k2 uses (D3D) so any and all changes made in the OGL menu will have zero effect on FS2k2.try to understand something about detanator drivers:Lets use the range from 29.xx to current 43.xx ...As per FS2k2 performance There are NO great ...No hardly even small performance differences in them ALL, that is a fact, what is the case however is what many fail to understand how a bad install vs a good clean install can do as well as use of the different settings that usually account for the "great performance" that some claim with every new driver, and in that regard by now with all of the "great" drivers we all wouldn't need a new 9700Pro/GFFX card! :-lolEspecially bad is the little box; "Texture sharpening" (in the D3D menu) make sure this is always unchecked as this doubles what ever settings you have for Anisotropic filtering and will effectly kill your performance. Best to control Aniso manualy (all 4X.XX drivers on up). Do all the reading that you can on what settings do what there is plenty of info out there.guru3d.com is a decent place to start, plenty of docs there.

Hi Folks,Just wanted to say many thanks to Andrew Tingle for his well written and very usefull GeForce tweak guide. Andrew, your time and effort are well worth it for your excellant contribution to our flight sim community. So far I've only used your fs2002.cfg changes and they really help make my flight simming more enjoyable. Soon, I'll try Riva. Right now I have more distinct textures and at good fps.Thanks again,Howard

HiCongatulations on an excellent guide. Unfortunatley I ran into a problem but as no one else has mentioned it, it may be more of a problem of my own doing or just a bad file.I downloaded the 29.42 driver, then ran riva tuner, followed the guide but their is no nv4_disp.dll to be found at all anywhere to patch. When I get time I will try a new download. The file I downloaded was a self installing exe file. Even after using Winzip to extract all the files into a temporary directory, I could not see the required DLL. unless it was in the CAB file. (too much of a headache at the moment to try and remember how to open CAB's at the moment)I have got to admit though after just installing the 29.42 driver normally, how impressed I was with the display that I have now got, far superior to the 41.09 driver I was using on my Geforce 2 mx400 Everything is so clear and sharp.Zack LawsProblem sorted, I realised after another go that it is the file that gets highlighted that I need to find and not the one mentioned in the guide. (Obviously the required file must vary according to your system?)