Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Anyone using Dual Monitors & Virtual Cockpit ?

Hi GuysI'm (still) thinking about adding a second monitor, stretched horizontally, to my system to give an effective resolution of 2560 x 1024.As I fly exclusively using the virtual cockpit, my one concern is the "split" down the center that will occur when the two monitors are butted up to each other. In particular, the distraction that this may cause during landings.Just wondering if anyone is using such a setup and how they find the join of the two monitors during the more crucial stages of the flight.Many thanksGary

Gary- I've never been able to arrange a workable virtual setup on my triple monitor system- but the 2D panel works fantastically well with all popups open on monitors 2&3. My observations tell me that the most important element in sim realism is to increase the view/horizon from the normal 90

Should have added- For a screenshot to illustrate these comments-search Forums or FSX/Hardware forum for "Kneeboard Brightness" -Aug 1/07. Jim Cooper kindly posted a shot for me which illustrates nicely the potential of multi monitors. (topic#27921) (For some unknown reason, my system cannot post a triple mon screenie -even though it's JPEG, well below the 150KB limit.)Alex Reid

Guest kittie

I always fly with virtual cockpit on 2 22inch monitors. The screen is 3200x1200. It does some getting use to with the split, but I just adjust the view so to line it up more to the centre of the plane (the split that is). When flying like this I find it`s a whole new experience. I highly recommend it.:-wave

kittie- What is the View on your second monitor? -View Fwd stretched over the 2 monitors - or a second View (L or R Fwd) on the 2nd mon? Alex Reid CYYJ

Guest jimcooper1

Flying with 2 monitors is a much more immersive experience..but you're right about the centre bezels being a distraction, but that only really occurs on landing. In some ways it makes landing easier because you can judge the centre line much more accurately as it will run parallel with your bezels.http://hometown.aol.co.uk/JimCooper1/2-monitors.JPGRegardsJim

I have two monitors but I don't know how to get that setup.Could you share the knowledge with someone less smart than yourself? Please?

Guest jimcooper1

>I have two monitors but I don't know how to get that setup.Eric,What graphics card do you have??....because it all depends on things like: Span, Dualview, Windowed Mode etcOnce I know what card you have I can advise on setup options>Could you share the knowledge with someone less smart than yourself? Please? Sorry don't know anyone that dumb!!RegardsJim

Hey Jim,I have an 8800GTS 640MB with dual DVI outputs. My main screen is a Samsung 24" Widescreen and the second is a 19" Viewsonic VX922.In FSX I can drag windowed screens over to the second monitor and it's great, but in FS9 I can't get anything to go to the second monitor at all. I would love to expand the virtual cockpit view across both monitors, be it FS9 or FSX, both slaved to the POV hat switch. That would be very nice.Thanks for helping me out.

kittie- looks good. So Gary's intial query in this thread is answered affirmatively. However still doesn't address the need for a wider view/horizon to approximate normal peripheral vision. I'll continue to put my bets on 2D -triple views and a 180

Guest jimcooper1

Eric,The good news is you have an nVidia so I can help you (stopped using ATI about 2 years ago because they didn't support Dualview)The bad news is that your monitors are different and run in different native resolutions. Spanning the VC only really works well when you have 2 monitors of the same resolution and run them in Dualview.You'll need to setup your monitors to the same resolution and setup DualView throught thw Windows Display properties. Then in FS2004 Settings Hardware you'll be able to select Wide resolutions eg 3200x1200, 2560x1024, 2048x768 etc. Then you'll be able to have a VC that spans both monitors.Alternatively, set each monitor to run in native resolution. In Fs2004 Settings Hardware set up Graphics0 and Graphics1 separaetly. Run a VC in Windowed mode and drag it across both monitorsregardsjim

>The view is the virtual cockpit stretched over 2 monitors.>>http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9485/triptoromerd3.th.jpg>>>To see full size just cut and paste and replace "xx" with>"tt">hxxp://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9485/triptoromerd3.jpg>>:-wave KittieDid you stretch your view using Active Camera ? Coincidentally, i'll be flying the LDS 767, hence, in your view, does the runway centerline roughly pass through just to the left of the VOR 1 receiver ?Gary

Jim,Great stuff. Thank you very much. :-beerchugI'll be trying this out today when I have the time. (And when my wife's gone. The second monitor is hers but it's on the desk right next to mine. I just switch the connection to my rig and slide her screen over a foot and voila!)

Guest kittie

I do you active camera. To fine tune the position I use Shift/control/Enter (I believe). I have the split just off the centre so it does not cut any gauges. Takes a few seconds to line it up but once it's done, it good for the flight. Unless of course you try walking throught the pax area etc. I also go to my drop down menue and adjust the view zoom to .35. Don't adjust that using the (=/+) keys, just the drop down menue.:-wave