Sign in to follow this  
Guest victorwest

File Transfer Rate.

Hi Gang, Firstly let me state something, this IS NOT a complaint, just a question.I am trying to download a file, and have been for a few days now, but on each attempt it only comes down at a rate of between 9.65 and 12.4 kbs, I appreciate that this is free, and I realise that we should be grateful, and I think that a majority of are.But I wondered if there is something wrong anywhere. I have tried downloads from other sites, and they have not all been FS related, and I am still getting my usual bandwidth rates, so it's Not something between me and Avsim, as stated in one of the FAQ's.The file I'm trying to get is the BAE-146-Avco Lycoming ALF 502R-5 " the real deal " but at each attempt I only get what I have stated above, with a time of about 59 - 1hr 45 mins !I am bringing this to your attention in case it's something you want to check out, and NOT to complain as some might want to jump in and accuse me of doing.Many Thanks.

Guest tango papa

There are numerous reasons for poor D/L speeds: time, day-of-the-week, routing, bandwidth, ect. It depends if you are using dial-up, DSL, or broadband. I've been to sites that are above 400kbs at one time, and 19kbs, a few hours later. Just grin and bear it.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest orenda635

I've noticed this too. I know about peak times and such, but Avsim is getting as slow as Flightsim. I never remember it being this slow at any time. I wonder if download speeds are being capped to cut costs (which is what Flightsim does), or whether there's just more people using it.

Pure volume. I am sure Avsim are not capping download speeds. If I pick a non-peak time I always get excellent download speeds here. But today, 6pm GMT, a Sunday, when presumably everyone else is also nosing about Avsim, I am seeing an insanely slow 4-6 kb/s...and I am on 8Mb broadband.But, its free. So its a case of pick your download moment wisely!Regards,Al.

I get very low download speeds no matter what time of the day I try but, as has been said, it is free.

There is an easy solution in finding where the issues in download speeds might lie, including the one mention here, timing of your download. Do a START, RUN and then type in "tracert avsim.com" (without the commas) and that will give you a route and timing of your connection to AVSIM up to a maximum of thirty "hops". Look for substantial times between hops. When you see those, you can be assured that somewhere in your route, you are being delayed in acquiring a file from AVSIM. Also notice any "*" that may appear. Those are timeouts. Every time you see a time out, there is a good likelyhood that your download program has to redownload the segment that it was working on, causing further delays in the download. If your tracert is uneventful, then you can safely assume that the download speed from AVSIM is a function of traffic on our server at that point in time. Take a deep breath, and come back later.

Guest Binncott

I know that I have said this before, however I believe it does warrant repeating.Those members with Broadband connections need to take a deep breath and thank their luck that they reside in an area where such a service is available.Complaining about download speeds of 9-12 kbs really does make one wonder exactly what you expect from a FREE service. If I was able to get 9-12 kbs (even downhill with a tail wind) I'd be jumping for joy.Spare a thought for those of us who, by dint of location, can only connect using dial-up and are (in my case) lucky to get 5 kbs!BC

>Complaining about download speeds of 9-12 kbs really does make>one wonder exactly what you expect from a FREE service. So which bity of "this IS NOT a complaint" do you need help in understanding?

Guest victorwest

>Alright now, let's retract our fangs! :)Ok fangs retracted! :-) It just annoys me when someone comes along and moans about complaints when nobody here has actually complained and the original poster specifically pointed out he wasn't complaining.