Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Better frame rates - I am sure this has worked....!

For years I've flown with the frame rate cap ON in FS. It's been set at 24/sec inside FS2004 for the past 1-2 years. But recently, I got fed up with micro stutters flying in the PMDG 747-400 on approach into dense airports with AI traffic, so I pulled the slider to UNLIMITED and now I swear things are slightly more fluid all the time. I've tested things in different situations and with different aircraft and it seems to run better generally. I was a serious believer in the frame cap for a long time, but now I am not so sure. I have a good sim friend who says the same thing about FS on his system. My primary sim PC is a DELL XPS Gen 4, 3.80Ghz, 2GB RAM, eVGA 7900GTO card, and TH2G with three LCDs of 20.1" and 24". It's always been stable and runs at low temps all the time even when working hard on my diverse fleet and dozen-odd FS hardware add-ons. I thought a frame cap would ease the burden on the PSU, processor, and video card, etc., and reduce stutters of any sort; but it seems to actually prevent the sim from shining to the max. I see no point in going back to using the frame cap.Any comments welcome.JS

It's been debated to death. And I'm on the fence and think I spend way too much time tweaking and not enough flying.The guys who make photo scenery over at Aerosoft Oz swear leaving it on unlimited makes it much better.Then one of the MSFS 2004 former developers Steve Lacey says capping them is a must.http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/20..._blurries.shtmlIf you look a third of the way down on this page (November 17th) he also comments on "The Stutters" http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/2005/11/EDIT: I'm thinking the guy who helped create FS9 might get the edge in what's best.

Like you JS, I find things a bit better with the framerate set to unlimited. But, it seems to be another of those system-specific thingies. There has been much debate about this over the years and there isn't any right (pardon the pun) answer. Some of us see things better with the cap on and some see things better with the cap off. Personally, I think the framerate cap worked well with FS2002 but then things changed with FS2004. I've never seen any benefit from capping the rate in FS2004 but setting the rate to 25 in FS2002 worked very well. And, for sure, FSX works better for me with the rate set to unlimited. So, I guess the debate will continue...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

It's funny I actuall went the other way. For years was set to unlimited then after installing GE and Ultimate Terrain had a lot of blurries. Set it to 24 FPS and now it runs really clear and seems to have gotten rid of any stutters. Seems really smooth now.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So there ya go. Each to his own. It is amazing isn't it how there is no fixed rule for certain things in FS. One man's perfection is another man's poison. The things we do for FS....!JS

Agreed. I'm a sad case really, I spend more time tweaking and adjusting paints and AI than I actually do flying....

I used to spend a heck of a lot of time tweaking. Man, in the old days it was 80% tweaking, downloading, configuring, testing,....it was endless. Today it's about 80-85% flying and 15-20% planning, saving, and so on. Very few library downloads, no PC configuring at all, and hardly any FS9 Settings adjustments; the frame re-set has been a recurrent theme for me. Everything just got to be too much--I almost quit because of it. Now I can turn on the PC, jump in and fly off in the default Cessna or PMDG 744 in any one of almost 500 saved situations I've made over the past 4 years in Fs2004. It's a joy to sim thus. The main retardant these days, as it often has been frankly, is flight planning with the FMC or FSNav -- or both!But I still love this hobby and feel enriched by it greatly.JS

I've never done an in-depth study, but changing my setting to unlimited has worked for me and changed my whole flight sim experience. I used to lock my FPS at 31, but only achieved FPS in the 20s...now...30, 40, 50, plus...unbelievable FPS with unlimited.Mike

Mike Franks

Mike:Rock on! It HAS made a diff, hasn't it ? (I swear it has...)JS