Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Is this 1 or 3 differant views

I just received this email showing the inclosed view. I STILL can not pin down the correct answer to this question. With the Matrox tripple head 2 go is the below one view (the center) view from FS2004, SPREAD over three diffreant monitors or is it THREE DIFFERANT views each on it's own monitor. The people that use more than one monitor, what do you think? Thanks for your opinion. jerrycwo4

Guest kingairvols

There is a product that connects the 3 monitors ( I think it is called Matrox TripleHead2 go dig edition http://shopmatrox.com or www.matrx.com.)It looks grat, however I still use 3 monitors running of of 2 v-cards. I guess it will be time soon to learn more about the new gear and uprade one of these days. Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

Jerry- It's my understanding that the TH2Go shows one view stretched over 3 monitors. Because of this, it works well for virtual cockpit setups but not for 2D, where the gauges get severely "ovalized" by the stretching. I believe that the top/bottom of the view is sheared off to fit the wide perspective of 3 monitors.If you want more than the 90

Alex thanks for the good info. So I am to believe that it is possible to show 3 DIFFERANT views at the same time on three DIFFERANT monitors in the 2d mode, for a 180 degree FOV? Where is the best place to get info on the hardware and/or sofware to do this and how to hook them up. jerrycwo4

Hi Jerry,with the current hardware possibilities, there is no way that you could have 3 windows in 3D mode for the left, front, and right views without a severe penalty on FPS.The options you have in my opinion are: - TripleHead2Go with one computer (already a vast improvement to the front view on one monitor), with optionnally the Track-IR software (for changing views); - 3 (or 5) computers connected in a network each one displaying one view with the wideview software (Left, Front, Right) or (Left, Front left, Front, Front right, Right) (website www.wideview.it)Hope this helps.

Patrick-Sorry, it's really quite easy to run triple views- LFwd,Fwd,RFwd from a single processor and it doesn't have to be a supercomputer. I'm doing just this on my ancient AMD XP2200 1.8GHz system with triple GeForce FX5200 video cards. Runs FS9 just fine at mid range settings- producing a 180

Clarification to the above: Line 5 should read "Video card" rather than "computer card". Apologies- Alex Reid

Alex, thanks so much for taking the time to write all of the above. It puts me a lot closer to my goal. My main flight computer now is a 2.6 Mg ABS computer and it has 2 differant video cards in it already. I also have 3 other computers in a 4 computer network so mabe I could use one of the other video cardsin another computer. Thanks for the good info. jerrycwo4

Just to add to what's been said before, and what I posted under the other thread, I have the TrackIR and I've investigated the Triple Head to Go. I've decided to take a pass on 3HTG for now: the biggest draw back for me is the fact that the manufacturer recommends 3 identical monitors -- same size, same resolution, definately same bezel width, etc., otherwise you won't be able to line everything up correctly. I've seen a picture when the new bezel management feature doesn't work, and even an 8th of an inch off is unacceptable with multiscreen views. Since I have two computers -- one good, one less good, I very happy with my lower cost alternative: WideView 2004, one 17 inch flat panel looking forward and 2 15 inchers for 51* views left and right. I get very high frame rates (I have Ultimate Terrain and FS Genesis, ActiveSky 6.5, Flight Environment Pro, and Ground Environment Pro, all running in the background on both machines!) and a perfect 180 degree field of view. It took me several hours to get the zoom factors and angles just right on my monitors, but now that that's over I really couldn't be happier with my 3 screen flight sim experience.Smooth skies!Chuck B

Guest Nealoc187

how might one set up something like this? I read the description above that described using 3 different old video cards, I'd assume those video cards were PCI cards which most motherboards have multiple slots for. However most newer computers only have one or two slots for video cards (PCI-express or AGP). Are there video cards out there that can run more than one monitor? I've got a couple extra monitors laying around that I could potentially add to my current system (my main monitor is a 22" widescreen Acer, but I've got a pair of 17" CRTs laying around).

You have to have a dual head card to run 2 monitors on the same computer -- you know a card is dual head because there are 2 VGA or Digital output receptacles where you plug both monitors in. I just bought this monster (it barely fits into my computer case!) and you can see that it has outputs for TWO monitors on it:<< http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...PRO%2b512MB%2b2 >>In order to run 3 or 4 monitors on one computer I think you need a mother board and video cards that support crossfire technology, but I'm not sure. I use WideView 2004 and 2 computers for my 3 monitor set up, which works great, so I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge than I can weigh in here for more info about 3 or 4 monitors on one computer.Smooth skies!Chuck B.

My hardware uses a Dual head AGP GeForce FX5200 card and a single PCI card of same type. I'm not a techie, so can't advise much here. I've read that some newer video cards can drive two monitors but if you're like me, you should talk to someone with hardware knowhow - perhaps your local computer shop.Hardware wise, what you want is two (or better still) 3 monitors active. (Quite common these days- it's also wonderful for editing/referencing/typing multiple text documents when not flying!) Once you've got that, the rest is simple setup-1. Extend desktop so that mouse travels freely across the monitors.2. Set up FS with L/R views created/undocked/dragged/sized/set to L or R Fwd View plus popup gauges the same. (We're talking 2D- not Virtual cockpit.)3. Adjust the L,R view angles in Panel Config to correspond to actual bezel widths. This synchronizes the horizon in Roll/Pitch and effectively removes bezels as "obstructions"- in exactly the same way that car windshield pillars are not "seen". 4. Apply zoom to any smaller monitor so that all the scenery elements are all same size. (The ratio of monitor AREA- one mon to another.)5. Save the flight so you don't have to do this again! I usually save two- one ready for T/O on a runway, the other cold/dark at a ramp.I've previously described all this in some detail- search the Forums of recent weeks for author-"january".And yes- mixing monitors is not a problem- mine are L-R, a 17" LCD plus two ancient 19" CRTs.Good luck- I guarantee that when you get it working, you'll agree it beats any Add On scenery! Alex Reid

Chuck- My processor is a five year old AMD XP2200 1.8 GHz processor on an ASUS A7N8X-X board . Single processor/no WideView/no TH2GO ! Works just fine with triple GeForce FX5200 video cards for triple views in FS9. I'm not sure what crossfire technology is but I doubt very much that I've got it!Alex Reid

If you're like me and like to fly in 2D cockpit view, and if you don't want to mess with opening and closing the panel.cfg file every time to adjust the point of view on your left or right views, you can add the following line to your FS9.cfg file which will allow panning in 2D panel views:In the (CONTROLS) section add: pan_in_cockpit_mode=1Set up your views as above, and then save as your default flight. Works every time for me.Smooth skies.Chuck B.