Sign in to follow this  
postpone

Addon scenery

Hi folks,I have scenery that has loaded up in my FS9 directory rather than my addon scenery folder, can I just drag and drop the the folder into addon scenery without any problems within Fs9...??thanks for any assistance on this,cheers,

It has to be in the scenery CFG for you to see it in the game. The scenery CFG will need to be changed and have it point to where the scenery now is.You can have scenery anywhere on your HDD as long as the CFG has the correct path specified.

Yes, just move it to your add-on scenery folder then add it as you would normally in Scenery Library. The path will be automatically generated.I have a short cut to my add-on scenery library sitting at the bottom of my Desk Top and after opening a scenery zip just move the scenery across to that. I do the same for Aircraft in FS9 and Airplanes/Rotorcraft in FSX. I do go through the readme's to see if I have to do anything like adding gauges, effects, or in the case of scenery maybe make a backup of existing file or files as the case may be. Works for me.Gary

Guest wji

Use the Edit Command in FS9's Scenery/Add New screen after the scenery folder move.

Hi wji/Gary,Thanks for the info, I like the short cut to the desktop/scene folder idea, will have to set mine up the same.cheers now,

Guest wji

"I like the short cut to the desktop/scene folder idea"Desktop shortcuts are cool. I have one to most of my regularly-used folders but this will not address the moving of an FS9 Addon Scenery folder.If the FS9 Addon Scenery folder is moved, FS9 will not find it until the path is re-established in the simulator. This does not apply to moving just the files (applies to folders).P.S. Make a desktop shortcut to your fs9.cfg while you're at it: C:Documents and SettingsUsernameApplication DataMicrosoftFS9FS9.CFGOriginal question: "Can I just drag and drop the the folder into addon scenery without any problems within FS9?"Answer: Negative.

Hello:Be sure that if the scenery add-on install source file had a nested sub-folder chain of BOTH a Scenery AND Texture folder (most commonly seen except with rare "landclass or mesh only" scenery add-ons), that they BOTH are moved into your add-on's new location under the FS Addon Scenery folder.Missing textures pertaining to an otherwise registered FS add-on scenery BGL which are NOT found in a twin/paired folder chain for that add-on scenery will impair FS9 performance, and may even cause a crash of the sim; FSX is reportedly not susceptible to this.Also, if you had already created an entry for that add-on when it was located under any location outside the Addon Scenery folder chain using the "Add an area" feature in the FS Scenery Library user interface, you must be sure to do the "Edit path" function as described above.Alternatively, from outside FS (without it running), you may need to manually delete the "Scenery.dat" file which FS originally created for it in the parent folder location above where the Scenery and Texture folders were mistakenly installed before re-starting FS; this will allow FS to properly re-index the Scenery Library when it re-starts.Hope this helps!:-) GaryGB

WJI,Just so that we perhaps can resolve this difference of opinion and not to confuse anyone:I have been using my method successfully for quite a few years now. I open the shortcut on the desk top to my Add-on scenery folder and restore it down on the desk top. I always extract all my zips to a folder I have named "Recent Zip". Next I go through the readme in that folder and normally just drag and drop the named scenery folder containing Scenery & Texture into the Add-on scenery folder I had previously opened, start FS9 and using the add function in the Scenery Library I select the scenery I have dragged and dropped, close FS9 and restart. My new scenery is installed and I can see it. This procedure might sound complicated and time consuming but it beats anything else I've used except self installing jobs which I don't particularly like.May I ask if you have, in fact, tried my method? I just this past ten minutes successfully installed a "new to me" scenery. There is a possibility that it's something you've not tried yet. I'm an old duffer but I learn something new every day. Not sure this works in FSX as I've not tried it yet.regardsGary

Hi folks,Appreciate all your time guys, my question resulted from my installing a new Hard Disk as Ihad almost run out of room after 'making do' with a 40 gig unit for some years and was not content with the way some of the auto istallers had set some of my scenerys outside of the Addon area, weather this would effect performence when acessing those areas in flight I have no ideabut i thought I would keep 'the house tidy' and keep all in the Addon area, one other thing i tried beofre posting was just to extract to a temp folder and drag over the scenery and manually addvia the scenery libary in FS this worked ok but I had already installed two scenerys that had gone into FS9 directory tree hense myrequest for info, these I will move and manually edit/path via the libary.again thanks guys for your help ;)cheers,

Hi Steve:What some FS end-users have started doing to "take charge" of freeware (and most non-commercial) FS add-on installers is creating a "FSX_Dummy" folder somewhere on their hard drive, then installing a copy of the FSX.exe file in that folder as a placeholder for "browse+snoop" types of FS add-on installers.To do this:1.) At the "Run" command, start "Regedit" before you do your install and navigate to this Windows registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftmicrosoft gamesflight simulator2.) Once there, click on the following "folder" in the left pane to make a back up:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftmicrosoft gamesflight simulator10.03.) Click File > Export and save your FS10 entries (including "SetupPath") to a *.reg file named "FSX_True.reg"4.) Now edit the "SetupPath" string to the location of your new "FSX_Dummy" folder.5.) Again, Click File > Export and save your aliased FS10 entries (including "SetupPath") to a *.reg file named "FSX_Dummy.reg".Now you can run most FS ad-on installers that check for a registry entry to determine the location, or which "browse+snoop" for the actual FSX.exe file.After the installer is done, you can inspect and move to your desired location(s), the files needed to make the add-on run in FS from YOUR location rather than the add-on author's chosen location.NOTE: In some cases, the author's specified locations must be used because they are actually required by FS itself in order for the add-on to run correctly ...or at all!.If at any time you need to restore the original FSX path, just double-click the "FSX_True.reg" file, give permission to over-write the prior registry entry, and you will immediately have the aliaised path back in place.And when you want to redirect FS add-on installers again, just double-click the "FSX_Dummy.reg" file, give permission to over-write the prior registry entry, and you will immediately have the aliased path back in place. Feel free to repeat the same process above if you also use FS9:Create a "FS9_Dummy" folder somewhere on your hard drive; install a copy of the FS9.exe file in that folder as a placeholder for "browse+snoop" types of FS add-on installers.1.) At the "Run" command, start "Regedit" before you do your install and navigate to this Windows registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftmicrosoft gamesflight simulator2.) Once there, click on the following "folder" in the left pane to make a back up:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftmicrosoft gamesflight simulator9.03.) Click File > Export and save your FS9 entries (including "EXE path") to a *.reg file named "FS9_True.reg"4.) Now edit the "EXE path" string to the location of your new "FS9_Dummy" folder.5.) Again, Click File > Export and save your aliased FS9 entries (including "EXE path") to a *.reg file named "FS9_Dummy.reg".Now you can run most FS add-on installers, and then inspect and move the necessary add-on components to your desired location(s) (bearing in mind the other considerations as described in the NOTE above for FSX).You also now have the "*.reg" files needed to simply double-click and toggle between the "True" and "Dummy" FS paths in the registry to maintain control of your FS add-ons and preferably keep each one in its own folder chain either under {FS install path}Addon Scenery, or in another folder chain outside of the FS folder chain (ex: "My_Addon_Scenery").This protects your many complex add-ons in the event of a need for an FS re-install, and allows for creating a separate check box entry in the FS Scenery Library user interface for EACH individual add-on scenery folder chain (a great time and stress-saver when troubleshooting add-on layer conflicts or add-on component integrity problems).A little initial work doing something such as this can save a world of hurt later on, when changes are needed or problems are to be solved in FS. ;-) Hope this helps! :-)GaryGB

Guest wji

"May I ask if you have, in fact, tried my method?"Negative. I simply use FS9's Scenery Edit command.

Hi Gary,That is great info Gary, thanks..! I will print tbis off and run thru it ;-)cheeers now,Steve

Guest tmond

Gary. I'm a 60 year old duffer and want help as to you above system. I am not very computer smart. I've been simming since jan 2004 and I have always had problems installing addons into flight simulator. I use winzip. Is the scenery library the the scenery folder in FS or is the library in a different file. I sure would like to use your above system. Would you be kind enuf to walk me thru this in order to set this procedure up? I'm not very smart but have read WINDOWS XP "for dummies" and that helped me alot. I would sure appreciate your help.Tim:)

Hi Tim,Join the club of computer duffers. Don't consider myself an expert in anything but can pass along what I have found to work for me with no problems so far.The scenery folder in FS is not the same as the Addon scenery folder. I use winzip exclusively for manipulating zip files like you do.Basically my system is this:1. I have created a new file folder which I have named "New Scenery Zip"(you can call it whatever you like).2. When I notice a scenery in any download section of an FS site which I would like to install I select it and using winzip I extract the zip to the folder mentioned in 1. above.3. Then I inspect the readme, which hopefully has been included, for any unusual additional instructions which have to be followed to make the scenery "work" properly. 4. In addition to the readme there should be a "scenery" and a "texture " folder unless it is a landclass or mesh scenery addon neither of which should contain a "texture" folder even it that is empty.5. As I mentioned in a previous post I have created a short cut for my Addon scenery folder on the desktop. You can do this simply by finding your Addon folder in FS9 and right clicking ( if your using the mouse as a right hander..... I'm a lefty so have to be careful as I have to left click) that folder and looking down the list which shows up select "create shortcut". The shortcut will appear at the bottom of all the folders in FS on the page. Using the Restore Down box at the top right corner of your computer allows you to see some of your desktop. I select the Addon shortcut folder and hold the mouse button down while I move that folder to the desktop.6. Now I can have both my Addon scenery folder and the New Scenery Zip ( both Restore Down ) together on the desktop.7. I open both then select the new named scenery and holding the mouse button down move it across to the Add-on scenery folder.8. In FS9 I then go through the usual required Settings>Scenery Library>Add Area and looking in the Addon Scenery Folder which shows up in the "Select Scenery Directory" you will find the name of the scenery you want to add.Sounds kinda' like a long procedure but once you have the shortcut on the desktop and leave it there it's a snap to add new scenery. Just in case you are interested the same sort of routine can be used to add new aircraft by having a shortcut to the FS Aircraft folder. Again you must carefully look at the readme 'cause you will have gauges,etc to move or copy and also maybe aircraft textures to play around with.Hope this helps and if I've caused any confusion please let me know how we can communicate privately.regardsGary