Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Dual Head to Go vs. Triple Head To Go

If I have a video card with 2 heads, could I still stretch my desktop over 3 monitors by using a Matrox Dual Head to Go on one video output, and just hook my 3rd monitor up to the 2nd output?Do I really need a Triple Head To To to stretch across 3 monitors on one computer? Thanks in advance to the group.

Guest jimcooper1

Firstly, some people have trouble with ATI Radeon and D/TH2Go although I have nVidia so can't confirm..If I have a video card with 2 heads, could I still stretch my desktop over 3 monitors by using a Matrox Dual Head to Go on one video output, and just hook my 3rd monitor up to the 2nd output?Yes.... but you'd have to run in Windowed mode rather than Full Screen Mode Do I really need a Triple Head To To to stretch across 3 monitors on one computer?Yes..if you want to run in Full Screen Mode...You could always install a second card (but you still wouldn't be able to span 3 monitors full screen you would have to have 2 separate views or use Windowed Mode.RegardsJim

I concur with everything Jim said and I too use nVidia, however I beleive ATI have rectified some of their incompatibilites with Matrox.Given the minimal price difference, and the greater flexibility, I'm not sure why you would be considering the Dual Head. If you want you can use the Triple head in Dual head mode, but the three outputs will give you the greatest view as Jim highlighted.I have two video cards with the TH2GO on one and 2x17" LCD's on the other and works great. The other advantage is that the TH2GO with 3 screens has a much less impact on PC performance than using two screens on separate outputs. The system sees the Matrox as one just screen.Regards,Ken.http://www.kennair.comhttp://www.kennair.com/Images/avatars/b200pil.jpg

I hear what you're saying and your reasoning is definitely a part of my thinking process. However, the cost for an Analog Dual Head To Go is $169 USD -- a Triple Head To Go is $299, not an insignificant savings considering I've alread bought an entirely new FS2004 dedicated system, extra memory, an amped up power supply, 3 video cards, two new monitors, and about 15 or 20 software addons, all within just 9 months of starting this great hobby. I'm also uneasy with the 2D panel stretch and misalignment issues inherent with the Matrox unit.I'm just trying to save a little some money if I can -- in the past 9 months I have literally spent a few thousand dollars to support my "flight sim habit" and my wife is starting to get a little peeved -- and rightly so.Anyone know of a good Flight Sim Rehab here in the US? :-)

ChuckYou always try the MS Home Detox (HD X) program (endorsed by BG) I started using this program 4 years ago and am now down to simming and forumming 16 hours a day - down from 17 hours. So, its been a real success for me. I only suffered with the shakes and nightmares for the first two years.Good luckPeter Hayes

_MS_ Detox? Isn't that the place with all the break-ins and security issues? I've heard that a lot of people actually "crash" during that program, too. :7 Oh well, I'm gald it's working for you, Peter!

I ended up ordering the Analog Double Head To Go last night and it should be here before next weekend. Here's why:If you look at the compatibility chart for either version of the Triple Head To Go I can't get any better than 2400 x 600 resolution and that would be just too low! (I'm glad I caught THAT one before ordering!) And I refuse to go back to my nVidia card on my main computer as then I'd end up spending all my time dealing with all of THEIR MSFS issues.I'll update this thread when I'm fully up and running.If any one's interested, and since I don't fly virtual cockpits I'm putting my new TrackIR with the Pro Clip up on eBay today -- IM me if you're interested; I'd rather it went to a fellow simmer. Minimum of $135 plus S+H for both.