Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

What a laugh...'the Holy Grail' of flight simulation has been found...

"so it seems that this resolution is too much for FSX. The big price is here also."Well, I'm running both FS9 and FSX through a (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB displaying on a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" LCD Display Monitor (1680x1050x32) and the results are pretty good; I should say exceptional in the case of FS9. FSX performance does, of course, scale with CPU grunt, whereas visually each is outstanding in its own way on this monitor.I have no experience of the 226BW's big brother (sister?!), but I do suspect that the 1680x1050x32 resolution may be the current sweet spot IF you are running BOTH sims on contemporary mid-ranged systems.Mike

Guest kingairvols

Hello,Thanks for posting your cfg settings.I am not the best with all the "tech tweeks" thus I hope its cool to ask a few questions.First in addition to my sys specs below I also use all of the FSG mesh, UT USA and AK/CAN and still have BEV to finish up my re-install.I want to know if I just copy and paste the cfg files you sharred along with the ATI Cayt driver software version or if the ver of the Cayt drivers matter as long as you have one of them installed. Thank you.Mark.System:OS:MS Windows XP Professional, Ver 2002 Service Pack 2 Hardware:Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 2.802.84 GHz, 3.00 GB of DRAM Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB running a 21/19.6 Sony Flat Screen Tubed Monitorand a 17/16 NEC/Mitsubishi Tubed MonitorGeForce FX 5200 128MB running a NEC/Mitsubishi 18 Flat Panel.

Hello Mark!Yes, you can replace my .cfg file as your .cfg file.Some points though, Where I show on a line, ***Place your user name here***, you are to remove that and place YOUR user name on your computer there.Also, understand that I have custom tuned that .cfg file in a number of areas. One of them is the runway lights SCALAR custom settings. You will notice with my .cfg file that your runway lights will be more 'lush' and burn hotter than standard. Great for coming in in Cat 2 and Cat 3 approaches. They also are great for low fog densities. You will see them appear out of the fog or mist, and it is a very cool effect, as well as comforting.There are many other tweaks that if you use choose to use my file, you will see change FS slightly as you know it.Cockpit panning is faster, all sorts of other things.:)Try it out, if you wish. Run FS9 with my .cfg file and then place yourself at any airport. After having done that, shut down FS9 and then view your .cfg file. TAKE OUT ANY reference to ANYTHING other than your video card AND...any line that shows resolutions like my 1920x1200 for instance. That is the reference to my Samsung 245 BW and will be only 'noise' for when your system scans the .cfg file. That's about it. Fly and enjoy...and see if you can pick out all the custom settings and effects that I placed in mine, as you fly your FS9 world. :)Cheers!Mitch

Guest kingairvols

I wanted to take the time to tell you guys thanks I have opened a new area of learning. I lost, but at the same time seem to have started putting one or two things in the same ballpark. Agian, I have a long way to go.Once more thanks for the help.

Guest PPSFA

18 years??? WoW! I got the same results using www.fs-gs.com in 3 days :-)

Guest magnum_force

Man, I have heard Oscar speeches that were not as good as what you typed.You had my attention all the way and left me wanting the book.I feel that same way with every flight, I never get tired of my flight simulator.I was watching the news yesterday and I saw a guy reporting from an airport that looked stunningly like MSFS.Even the background buildings of the news cast looked just like MSFS. (with tons of add-ons of course)Yeah, I love it.By the way, Samsung is rated one of the highest quality monitors in the world and probably the most expensive or near the most expensive.What football team do you play for.? (just kidding, it does take allot of money though)CheersRoger

Hi Rodger!What I am MOST pleased about---is a simple thing, really. It is that ANYBODY---on a reasonable flight simulation financial budget---that already has 4-year old equipment that is paid for---is that by adding a card in spec's equal or BETTER than my ATI1950 Pro 256 MB,---and by adding this ***magnificent*** (and worth every dollar!) Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for the Human interface experience----can then experience and appreciate what I get now at the double-click of the FS9 desk-top icon. Real-world visual--- REALISM. The total breath and scope of it. The Full Monty! At 1920x1200 resolution---what you see out of a Real World window of a commercial aircraft is EXACTLY NOW what FS9 cooks up for me, and could for you, via this monitor!!! With this monitor, you HAVE to flick your eyes back and forth over the screen real estate...JUST like you need to, to view what a commercial flight window-seat renders in panorama.I think I have died and gone to flight simulation Heaven. I still haven't come off the high from that first flight of last week. :)ANYBODY can have this...and it is not an elitist recipe!!!!The average price for the monitor is around $499.99 in the States AND Canada at such stores as 'Future Shop'. They are now fully at par with their American neighbors on the asking price.For all these years, I had been doing it backwards...and so have most of us... We slapped thousands of dollars into equipment that produced a great visual signal---but then allowed that viewing potential to CHOKE ITSELF TO DEATH---at the point of Human interface....the MONITOR! We have all been saying that the CPU is a potential bottle-neck to flight simulation performance. Well now...let me ASSURE you Rodger...that SO IS THE FINAL LINK IN THE MIX...one's monitor---if it can't make you suspend emotional and intellectual disbelief! This Samsung 245BW dishes it up in SPADES! I'd say that for myself---with my present equipment feeding it...the Emerald City of Oz has NEVER looked more glorious!Thanks for your thoughts and expressions,Cheers!Mitch

The Samsung 245BW, you say? I resemble that remark. Just bought one for $499 at FutureShop about three weeks ago and it's lovely! Bright as a supernova, but very clear and BIG. I'm flying FS9 at 1900x1200 and it's great! I've got the FPS locked at 30 and it seldom dips. The Flightzone 02 Portland scenery is gonzo at that res on a WS monitor. Low and slow and lovely.Indeed, it's taken me years, but I have have FS9 exactly where I want it. By 2010, I fully expect FSX to bend to my awe as well. :-cool

Indeed, it's taken me years, but I have FS9 exactly where I want it. By 2010, I fully expect FSX to bend to my awe as well.-------------------------------------------------------You GO, guy! :)I totally subscribe to the above, LOL!I have been running back and forth at that reso with VOZ South West and up 'dere in Alaska. As you say, and what I have been saying...unbelievable. I have been more into VFR than IFR commercial since bringing the Beastie home. BTW, don't cheat yourself out of one line of resolution. It is actually 1920x1200 :)P.S. Eric, if you bought only three weeks ago...you should take your sales slip in and get TEN PERCENT off. You'd come home with $57.00 in your pocket. It was on sale last week for that 10 percent off. I went back and pocketed mine. They have a 30 day lower price guarantee. It works! You should do this within the next 48 hours to be inside that 30 day envelope.Cheers,Mitch

>Hi Rodger!>>What I am MOST pleased about---is a simple thing, really. It>is that ANYBODY---on a reasonable flight simulation financial>budget---that already has 4-year old equipment that is paid>for---is that by adding a card in spec's equal or BETTER than>my ATI1950 Pro 256 MB,---and by adding this ***magnificent***A while agoo I asaked here if I could completely forget about low fps blurries and stutters if I would get at that time good hardware.Answer was no (and I was thinking about 17" CRT monitor). From you it seems we are there now. With this ATI1950PRO we can forget about bad performence and that on 24" TFT. Does the video card play that great importance? For example shouldn't the harddrive matter regarding blurries?That videocard I can have for my current AGP MB fairly cheap and of course I could use it with my current 19" Samsung 940B TFT screen.>(and worth every dollar!) Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for theBut from what I read this monitor really tempts me. But it would cost about as much as a new MB with new CPU and RAM and videocard.

I don't have your 24" Widescreen LCD, just the old reliable 21" CRT, but recently built a new Intel Core 2 Duo with an ATI X1950XT and 2GB of RAM for about $800 US and I am really enjoying flying around with Active Sky, Ground Environment, Landclass and Mesh from FS Genesis. Looks great with all of the detail cranked up at 50 fps. I have been too busy just flying and enjoying it to think much about tweaking. Do you think the 7.1 Catalyst drivers from ATI make a difference over the current version? I need to look at your config to see what else i might want to change.Right now I am having so much fun flying my sim, I don't see any reason to spend any money on FS X. I am pretty darn satisfied right now.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

About the Cat 7.1's...they were the last full dedicated XP based drivers. They work the 1950 Pro like a charm.Keep flying that 21 inch CRT. You probably have great visuals, too.Enjoy,Mitch

and worth every dollar!) Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for theBut from what I read this monitor really tempts me. But it would cost about as much as a new MB with new CPU and RAM and videocard.-------------------------------------------If, in your country of orgin, that is the case---I'd suggest that you upgrade your computer---keep your good quality 19 inch Samsung and then play it by ear.You can always get the 245BW at a later date. I also have a 19 inch Samsung 931BF---and will keep it for a spare. A great monitor, but limited to 1280x1050 as are all 19 inch LCD's. That was the one great thing about a CRT monitor---you could crank up the resolution, if you could accept a much smaller scale of things, like the panel, etc... I had a 19 inch ViewSonic that I viewed at 1600x1024. That is the one thing still that can not be taken away from a good quality CRT monitor!Mitch

Sesquashtoo wrote:"P.S. Eric, if you bought only three weeks ago...you should take your sales slip in and get TEN PERCENT off. You'd come home with $57.00 in your pocket. It was on sale last week for that 10 percent off. I went back and pocketed mine. They have a 30 day lower price guarantee. It works! You should do this within the next 48 hours to be inside that 30 day envelope."Really? I'll have to look into that. Thanks. (Now where did I put the bill?)Wasn't kidding about finally having FS9 where I want it. But it took an E6700 and a 640MB 8800GTS to do it. Can't wait to see what equipment will bring FSX to its knees. Perhaps an Octo-Core E7700 and a 1.5GB 9900XTX card. And don't forget the 6GB of Corsair RAM!