Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Cannot locate this airport

Weeniemcween,Do not know how I missed it!I will go look again.Bet it has something to do with old age (speed reading inaccurately).Thank you also for the scenery information. Did not find it in MSFS9 but it is in MSFSX.Needless to say I am anxious to try this approach/takeoff.Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

The approach and takeoff are pretty easy because it's just an airport on the side of a mountain. Plenty of room and clear space to the south-east of the airport.It's really popular with spotters because the highway on the west is above the runway - and as a prime tourist destination - many different colorful aircraft fly there - including Santa Barbara.But no ILS - this is the type of real world runway where they do not want planes trying to land in poor visibility.The runway is elevated almost 200 feet above sea level and has a bit of an aircraft carrier type approach. There is a big warning painted just below the Rwy 5 end to warn pilots that low means crashing into a vertical wall.Rwy 05 Approach with crabbing into the wind - http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1137958Also a good view of why the spotters love the airport.That end is very well modeled in the Wonderful Madria scenery.A really neat feature is that the north 3,500 feet of the runway are elevated on what looks like a big freeway ramp.http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1028031http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1009912The Wonderful Maderia scenery does this as well as the FS capabilities can accept at this time.

Reggie,Thanks a lot for the great reply.The first time I seen this airport I knew I want to fly it with the Level-D763. But first with the DreamFleet Baron to get some approach time in.I went to the Aerosoft site but they did not have the "Wonderful Madeira" scenery listed as actively for sale.I went to SimMarket (per the suggestion in the pervious reply) and it is available but I wanted to make sure the "lead in lights" for the nighttime approach was available before purchasing it. The lights were shown in the SimMarket advertisment. Just wanted to make sure because no refunds with SimMarket.I tried registering into the AeroSoft forum ... had problems entering their "coded" letters displayed on the screen during registration. I "errored" out trying to register ... not my day!At first I did not find LPMA in MSFS9 ... I went to scenery and checked all the boxes, restarted and then I got it.I guess it must be part of maybe West Europe .. don't know for sure.Some of the scenery items like "photo Pairs" ... Photo "watever" boxes I guess you have to have them checked!Although I did not have "Photo Los Angeles" checked but I still fly KLAX ok ... all this scenery is a real mystry to me.I downloaded the canasie1.zip (for FS2002 but works also for FS9) to add the KJFK "lead in" lights for 13L and 13R ... really a nice approach at night.I wish a designer (free or pay) could do them for KJFK FSX.Anyway, maybe I will just take a chance and get Madeira from SimMarket and fly it!

Best Regards,

Madeira is an island (yes home of the wine) located 700km east of Casblanca. The four islands which make up Madeira and the Azores are part of Portugal - Western Europe for FS.I don't remember seeing the lead in lighting - but I seldom fly there at night. I'll have to check later tonight.

OK,Thanks for the help here.I read a lot of good stuff about LPMA.Looks like an interesting approach. Especially at night.The Scenery advertisment at SIMMARKET shows "lead in" lights.I will fly it in MSFSX with the Baron and see what lights are there.So far I have not got a reply from anyone who has purchased it to confirm the lead-in approach lights. >Madeira is an island (yes home of the wine) located 700km>east of Casblanca. The four islands which make up Madeira and>the Azores are part of Portugal - Western Europe for FS.>>I don't remember seeing the lead in lighting - but I seldom>fly there at night. I'll have to check later tonight.

Best Regards,