Sign in to follow this  
Guest macman4

Traffic View Board?

Guest macman4

I have installed this gauge into another aircraft panel, but when I choose to follow a AI aircraft, the AI aircraft is ontop of mine. Is there a way to use this program, in another aircraft panel, and be able to follow AI aircraft without this problem?

Not sure I understand your question - as Traffic View Board is not a gauge in the strict sense, but is an "aircraft".I therfore am wondering what you mean when you say you have "installed" it in another aircraft.

David, the gauge itself can be installed on another aircraft's panel if desired. The gauge uses FSUIPC to access an AI aircraft's position and altitude for the follow function and simply places your aircraft at the same coordinates. The Traffic view board model is transparent so you don't see it, but it behaves the same as the Fokker in the screenshot.So in answer to the original question, no I don't believe there is any way to do that without either relocating the reference point of the model you're flying or incorporating an "offset" into the gauge itself somehow (if that's even possible). This would require either an alteration of the aircraft's gmax source file, or an alteration of the gauge's source code.Jim

I guess I did not make my self clear - I am aware that the guage is in an invisible aircraft etc. - I did not understand why one would want to use it in a visible one, given that it would create a situation as the picture illustrated.It is too bad the author does not seem interested in tweaking this concept a bit further as a better separation of the "two" aircraft would certainly be useful. As it is now, you often cannot follow a landing aircraft all the way to the gate - the main aircraft apparently thinks it must "hold short" until the unseen aircraft has moved away (which never happens) and it times out - very frustrating.The best feature of course is being able to follow AI craft thru the entire flight - not losing it as you do within 128 nm or so with Traffic Toolbox - my other favorite.

I suppose the reason for installing the gauge in another aircraft would be for use as a TCAS system of sorts. Just interesting to monitor nearby AI as you fly I guess. The follow function I'm sure was never intended to be used from a visible aircraft.I have a Skyhawk set up on TNG and the other day I tried to follow him around the pattern. We made it onto downwind and then instead of turning base he just kept going until he finally flew into a mountain about 20 NM away. He'll do TNGs all day long if I stay on the ground or fly somewhere else while listening to him on the radio. What gives? Was he holding on downwind to give me the right of way or something? I felt just terrible after watching him crash into the mountain :) .Jim

No I don't think so - I wrote to the author of TVB several years ago after I experienced the same thing - following a T & G - it just flew off into never, never land after making the first turn or two correctly.He suggested I was following too closely - but never made any recommendations as how that might be changed. So I just don't attempt that anymore.I have observed that if you follow any aircraft too closely - via slew or just flying - it can distrupt the AI pattern. So I try to keep my distance.For following T & G's I now use Traffic Toolbox - never had a problem with it in that regard.

One other thought before I hit the sack -Control W will cycle through all of the AI traffic in your area in a small window on the screen - I find this helpful on rare occasions.Use the square bracket - the reverse one if memory serves - to remove the window.

Guest macman4

"I guess I did not make my self clear - I am aware that the guage is in an invisible aircraft etc. - I did not understand why one would want to use it in a visible one, given that it would create a situation as the picture illustrated". Thats kinda the question I was asking, If you could use it to follow other aircraft, while its installed in another aircraft panel, and not get the results that I'm getting in the picture."The best feature of course is being able to follow AI craft thru the entire flight" Yep that would be neat, kinda what I was hoping. Thanks Guy's for the replies, I learn everyday. Bob

Guest H_Kev55

The problem with an aircraft on the downwind leg that keeps going is a common problem when using TVB.What I do when I find an aircraft I want to follow is this:1. Find an aircraft on the ground at the airport where the plane you want to follow is landing. Then you must switch back and forth between the aircraft on the ground and the one in flight. Kind of a hassle I know, but it works.2. If there happens to be a 2nd aircraft in the pattern, simply switch between these 2 aircraft.I once followed an F18 and a C130 that were both in the pattern for the same airport. Was really fun watching how the 2 patterns were different with the 2 different aircraft.KJ