Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

a new computer makes FS9 run like it was meant to!

3 years ago or so, I built an AMDXp2400 to run FS2004. I had previously been running FS2002 on a P3-1000 - and it was a bit of a struggle. When I tried out FS2002 on the new Xp2400, I noticed how well it ran compared to what I had been used to over the previous couple of years - but I was keen to get into FS2004. Having struggled now for the past 3 years with the Xp2400 running FS2004, I have now built a Core2 duo 6600. NOW - I can run FS2004 like it was always meant to be run.I am now convinced that it is better to be a late adaptor than an early one. I am now looking forward to building a new machine again in 3 years time - whatever specs it may have then, I don't know. But I do know that it will run FSx brilliantly - along with all the great addons that will be developed over that time. Barry

Guest UpAndDown

Good onya Barry!I should be picking up my new computer this week as well. Are you running Vista or XP?Klint(Also in Brisbane)

I'm running XP. I will probably run Vista in 3 years time- after I have built a new machine then. In the meantime, my new Core 2 duo WindowsXp based machine has all the overhead I need to do most everything I want. This thread is not meant to bash FSx at all - in fact, from what I have seen of it, I like it and the sim "out of the box" is , in my opinion, far superior to FS9. I am really looking forward to using it in 3 years. :-)Barry

Guest christri25

yes i actually justed posted a pic of FS2004 on my new rig with every slider maxed and i get over 30FPS !! even in NYC,Sea-Tac, Etc ...

I may be in the market for a new one too since I believe mine may have been fried by a power supply overload. Besides the processor, I'm interested in the other parts of your systems, type of memory, video card, etc. I also will be sticking with FS9 and XP.Thanks for your help

I managed to do a very inexpensive upgrade - with a considerable increase in performance.Over the past 3 years, I had already upgraded my Vid card, power supply, 1 gig RAM and a second 7200RPM IDE harddriveBUT - my vid card was an AGP card, and my 1 gig RAM was DDR300 RAM. So I used an ASROCK motherboard which takes either PCIE Vid cards or AGPx8 cards, DDR or DDR2 RAM , and either SATA or IDE drives. The new MOBO also gave me AGP x8 and USB2 - an improvement over the USB1.1 and AGO x4 which I previously had.All in all, the upgrade only cost me $375 Australian dollars - and I am more than pleased with the result. I used a Core 2 Duo 6600 CPU.Barry

I second that approach. Did same thing with e4400 clocked to 2.65gbz. My lowest FPS in NYC is 22 with max'd sliders. Right now I do not believe that any PC, within reason, is capable of all max'd sliders under FSX in NYC. With the next patch coming who knows what that will cost you? I just returned to FSX and used ATC/AI for the first time since FS2002 due to an inadequate PC. Now ahead of the curve and I like that.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Thanks Barry,Never heard of the ASROCK MB before, so this intrests me as it may reduce my costs considerably. But which MB model? You seem to indicate it supports both AGP & PCIe which would be great since I have AGP video. Does this mean it has both types of slots on the board?Jim

Guest The Captain

I run FSX on my DELL XPS M1710 laptop & as long as it's on mains power it runs as smooth as silk with most sliders at max. FS9 is the same :9

>Thanks Barry,>>Never heard of the ASROCK MB before, so this intrests me as it>may reduce my costs considerably. But which MB model? You seem>to indicate it supports both AGP & PCIe which would be great>since I have AGP video. Does this mean it has both types of>slots on the board?>>JimHi JimASROCK are apparently well known for making "unusual" MOBOS. I used this one http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=4CoreDual-VSTA It supports the 1066Mhz FSB model Core 2 Duos.It has both AGP 8x and PCIe slots, DDR and DDR2RAM slots and both IDE /SATA connections.It is aimed squarely at those who want to upgrade to the faster Dual/Quad core CPUs - but who wish to use their older AGP, DDR and IDE devices. Although the Intel 6600 only 0perates a little faster than the AMDxp2400 (2.4 meghz compared to 2 megahz) - it is a MUCH more powerful processor and leaves the old AMD cpu standing at the corner!!Barry

Hi all I use the same motherboard look at my specs below everything runs fine windows vista and windows xp pro I had ddr400 1gig but then upgraded to ddr2 667 2gigs, Remember you would have to get the core 2 dous that have 1066mhz front side bus this is not meant for the newer chips that have a higher fsb like the Intel E6850 etc etc I believe its a good board when your really tight on money and want to upgrade to a better cpu using your old parts.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Hi Barry, ditto!Actually I think I'll wait til either Penryn dual cores or Nehalem as my current but fairly old machine can handle FS9 very well as it stands.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks again Barry for the info. I'm sold on the ASROCK MoBo since I just learned today that the diagnostic I had done on the machine confirmed a damaged MoBo. So I can get by with just the new board and maybe upgrade the processor but still use my 'older' hardware, some of which is not really 'old' and cost enough money to warrant keeping it as is.Problem I'm having is finding the board on line. Some here in the USA are telling me that it is not in stock at this time. I'll keep looking though. Price is really great. From $42.00 to less than $70.00 here in the USA.Jim

>How did your upgrade form 1 gig DDr 400 to 2 gig DDR2 667>go??>>This website http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810>seems to say that there is a not a lot of "real-world">difference between the 2 types of RAM >>BarryHi Barry, there really isn't a big difference in speed, from ddr1 to ddr2 at least to me it isn't a huge difference, but I had some spare money and went and bought some ddr2 memory ram for my next upgrade which would replace the motherboard with one that overclocks better but this will also mean I would have to upgrade my agp card to a pcie card at the same time which is ok.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.