Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Save your dollars...and TRULY upgrade your computer system!

I would like to build a system that has 3 Samsung 245BW 24inch monitors in a system like: "This arrangement allows you to display a true 180

Again Mitch- EUREKA ! I've been pondering why we BOTH see such spectacular imaging- you with a single 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200 res and me with triple mons at only 1024x768 in a 48" pic.Then, while on a misty morning seaside walk, it hit me! Couldn't wait to get back to my trusty calculator!Single mon - 1920 x 1200 = 2,304,000 pixelsTriple mon - 3 x 1024 x 768= 2,359,296 pixelsThe image pixel count is the same for both setups!!! (with bezel compensation mine is effectively a single image) Is 2,000,000+ pixels some kind of magic number?It seems that a high enough number of pixels creates a new and remarkably real level of perception.Any neuro/vision professionals out there care to comment?Now I REALLY wonder what triple 24" Samsungs might achieve.Alex Reid CYYJ

Jerry- My tech knowledge is pretty limited- perhaps Jim Cooper could comment on System/horsepower & hardware to drive 3- 24" mons at high res.I would expect that recent processors and video cards could do it nicely.My old AMD 1.8 GHz pushes out 2.3 million pixels in a very viewable 3 mon display. For high res/triple mons, you need a system perhaps three times as powerful- I think well within the capabilities of current hardware. The limiting factor is likely money!!There's nothing magical about triple monitors- quite common now in business /publishing where multiple sources of data/text are being viewed & worked together.Alex Reid CYYJ

Lordy...I think that you would need a divorce lawyer--and FAST!ROTFLMBO!~Alex, I read your post about 'combined' pixels, but after considering, I don't think it 'compiles' the same scene density.Let me explain---if you have on either one, or any given amount of monitors---a sustained pixel count---it will be the SPACE, or how many pixels (DENSITY)are grouped together in any GIVEN SQUARE INCH.What I see---and how much 'information' ----live pixels contributing to what is actually seen---will be always greater on my ONE monitor than your ONE monitor count for count. I will have more of a 'viewed' scene on any one monitor than you have as yours is displaying 1024x768.If I were to put 3 Samsung 245BW's in the same view field as you have, I would have that much MORE of the virtual world displayed than you presently see.BUT....BUT...in the 'realism' count---YOU WIN! You can merely look left, right, straight ahead---and it would be MUCH MORE NATURAL, than my ONE frontal view set-up, where I have to still press a button to CHANGE my view left, or right, etc.If I had the money--and/or desk space---and could truly afford that setup---I'd certainly go your way of things!So, a higher resolution---is still that---no matter how many monitors you have. It doesn't (multi monitors)'combine' the pixel count to increase the resolution as to be equal to that of ONE monitor displayed at any higher resolution.What you have...is MORE REALISM of body movement and human perception, rather than more 'world' being displayed on each, or one.You ALSO have 'arrived'---but by another path. No matter how, though---you have increased your level of realism---to the stratosphere. Enjoy every moment, and flight!!!!Mitch

Thanks Mitch- First class analysis. I think what we are both saying is that believability hinges on sufficient detail (or pixels) being available- whether in single or multi mon configs. Topic closed!Alex Reid CYYJ

Jerry...jeez...just the three 245BW's alone would run you with tax near $1,800.00 !!!!!Trust me...having one, and flicking a button for the left and right view still gives ya a thrill---especially with all the eye-candy one sees on a 245BW at 1920x1200.:)Mitch

I wish I could say that I finally have all of this nailed down, but I'm NOT sure. I ONLY want three monitors (of any size) if they can give me THREE differant views on three differant monitors. I do not want to see ONE view split between three monitors. Do I understand that to Hhave three differant views that I have to have more than one computer in a network and use that WIDE VIEW program? jerrycwo4

Jerry- NO, you do NOT need networked multiprocessors to have 3 DIFFERENT views on 3 monitors. (Views LFwd,Fwd,RFwd). You do need 3 video cards on your (single) processor- perhaps only two if one of them can drive two monitors. Then with Control Panel/Display/Settings- activate them so that the "desktop" spreads across all 3 mons- so you can then drag the mouse cursor straight across all 3, from extreme left to far right as if it was a single monitor. Setting up FS with multi views is not difficult & has been covered a fair bit in recent months- do an (advanced)search of the forums for Author "january". You should find what you need there, including synchronizing the 3 horizons.Regards Alex Reid CYYJ

Here you go. 1 computer, 1 AGP card, 1 PCI, 4 monitors. The top three are about 50 some inches wide as I remember. 1440x900 I think for the top three. Monitors were about $150 each. Paid maybe $10=15 for the wood, but if you are still flying from a desktop, you wont need wood.24"? ha, not ever again.http://www.eecherrors.homestead.com/pit17.jpg

USCG, One computer. One video card. Win XP. equals 2 monitors. You can spread like this:http://eecherrors.homestead.com/2monscreen.jpg OR you can have separate views. Like this:http://eecherrors.homestead.com/updown.jpgOne computer. One AGP video card. One PCI video card. Equals 4 monitors and 4 separate views if you want it. Or One spread view on two monitors and two separate views. Or One view spread over three monitors and one other separate view. Like my current setup:http://eecherrors.homestead.com/monitor3.jpgOR, one wide view spread over 4 monitors.(no pic)This is basic Windows computing 101.Now if you want to hook up multiple computers then you can have this:http://eecherrors.homestead.com/coxpit.jpgbut this is quite riculous IMHO It takes alot of time just to set up a 3 or 4 monitor configuration. I cant imagine setting all this up, taxiing out and then the #### computer CTD's. Ridculous.Mind you what is important here. if you want to run 100 addons and sliders maxed, NO, you cannot run 2-3-4 views on one computer. I run 4 views on one computer (AGP and PCI cards with AMD 3400 Athlon and 1 gb ram). I am pushing my setup to the max. No addons, sliders mid to lower. FPS =10 in busy airports, 25 while flying. I simply lowered the sliders until i could find the happiest place. Its all about YOUR preference. Not mine.I started by simply adding an old monitor laying around to the second video out on my AGP card.. instant 2 views and zero dollars spent.Next, I got a $50.00 PCI card and added a third monitor for a spread view and the fourth for the lower instrument panel view. I had to buy a couple $150.00 monitors though and thats where you start spending money. Remember, its all about YOU and what FPS you can be happy with. I'm happy with what i see on my 4 monitor setup and I am flying, but I'd like a little more right hand slider so I'll upgrade a MB and processor to dual core and more speed. That should do it. But not Vista and not FSx for now. Maybe late 2008 once all issues are sorted out. I like many others am very happy with Fs9.Good luck.Alex/january, check your PM here at Avsim. incoming message.