Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bill_M

Programming GPS

Guest Bill_M

This may be a really stupid question but asking it won't make it any stupider so here goes.Is it possible to program the default FS9 GPS for a specified lat/long instead of a published NDB/VOR/etc.? If so, how does one do it? TIA

I've something close to that. I went to the MAP and plugged in the lat/long and the little "tower" icon moved to that posit and I just "aimed" my acft heading toward the tower icon. Worked for me. jerrycwo4

FSNavigator allows you to place a "Fix" at any arbitrary location and then has the ability to export a flight plan containing these fixes to the FS9 GPS .pln format. They work great, so yes it absolutely can be done. It appears that Super Flight Planner (freeware) also has this capability. The only catch is that flight plans must always originate and end at an airport.There is actually a small amount of information on the subject in the Learning center as well that explains how to manually edit .pln files. I think you can use the FS9 flight planner to make up a flight plan utilizing nearby published intersections, then open the .pln file in Notepad and manually move the intersections by adjusting the lat/lon coords.Attached is a .pln I made in FSNav. It originates at CYVR (Vancouver, BC) and ends at KRDD (Redding, CA) using some of the more prominent Cascade peaks as waypoints.Jim