Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The FS9 or FSX program that hasn't been written....a shame...

I'm presently at 7,000 feet and heading to Branson, Missouri for some gambling, dining, and taking in a show or three in the Las Vegas of the East.I have just cleared the southern most shore of Lake Erie, and it is a fine flight, but for some turbulence noticed via a rogue storm cell I passed East of.Looking down from the B300, I thought to myself, how great it would be if you could see a red TAG identifying the cities and towns below you. Like, they could be linked to that graphic that denotes and renders a town or city centre.Now..THAT would be so cool! I'd buy that software in a heartbeat!If any developers are chancing upon this post....please consider this, if it is at all possible.I'm sure that there would be a flock of FS9 and FSX users that would find that knowing exactly what town, city, state, province, you are flying over in real time would be an immense boost to 'as real as it is...getting'.Please consider this, again, if at all possible.Edit, if anybody else would like to see the names of the city and town centre identified as you look down, perhaps please just add your name to the post---so possible developers might see this could be commercially feasible. :)Thanks,Mitch

Just one of the advantages of having a nice color moving map GPS in your "private" aircraft! :-hah So............what's the rules on carrying a GPS on commercial flights these days? Seems I read you can't, but I'm not positive.L.Adamson

Hi Larry,You could have that on your panel, but my thought would be so you could maintain your view out the window and merely gaze down upon the scenery with the square tag inside the center of the town/city centre graphic.Also it would be then totally independent of what equipment you are in..or on...like an ultralight, sailplane, hand-glider, etc.That would be so cool....Mitch

THANK YOU! YES.....so they exist, and I didn't know about it..Thank you, Holger!Reaching for a cup of coffee...and then my wallet...;)Mitch

Oh MAN....this is SO COOL! How come I have NEVER seen this, or knew of it/them?Geez...I would have picked this up as soon as I knew...I now have to decide which one suits me best.Holger...where did you run across them? Just curious.Thanks again...this SO wraps up the hobby...(LARGE SMILE)....-------------Edit, Holger, by chance do you own either of them? If so, which one, and why? Any reviews of these two?Mitch

To anybody else interested in having this feature...here is a link to a free trial download from ABACUShttp://www.flightsimdownloads.com/ezlandmark/I'm checking it out...I'm screaming around the G.C.A. at 5,000 feet in the Cessna 182 and everything I had hoped for in this type of program is happening.It makes it that much more 'real' in that I can now relate to and identify what is flowing past my plane at ground level...:)Oh...my FPS are just the same as if I had not installed the demo, FYI.Mitch

HelloFS Discover from Flight1 by the same author is very much better as it includes airports. previously you needed also EZ-VFR to see theseTry it as it has the usuall F1 30 day money back dealhttp://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdiscI was a long time user of EZ-Landmark and EZ-VFR , the author has rolled both into one program plus a lot of other nice features such as adding your own points of interest, and it seems to get better FPS as the old EZ-Landmark could cause stutters if you had too many databases open at once.There are some additional databases for EZ-landmark over at FSgenesis in the Download section, plus i found some on the internet, forgot where now though

Thanks! I was JUST coming back to ask if airports and airfields were included, because as I flew over KORD there was no label.I'll give the other a try as well. Thanks for the feedback. It is a really great concept!One more part to the recipe of 'being up there'...:)Mitch

Mad Dog, do you know what the FS Discover Demo area is?I tried Meigs again, and it said that I was outside of the area.ThanksHave a great night!Mitch

HelloThe 30 day demo version limited to a rectangular area between New York and Niagara Falls is now available. Plan a flight, get visual guidance, and discover things you have never noticed before in Flight Simulator no matter where you live.One nice thing about FSdiscover is that you can have different colored fonts for airports, points of interest or landmarkes plus font size scaling depending on distancehttp://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

FSDiscover has an amazing amount of detail when you enable geographic names (I think that's the name of the feature). I've discovered places within miles of my house that I never knew existed. You can fly over the Grand Canyon and learn the name of every cliff, butte, valley, etc. I don't know of any other product, inside or outside of FS, that can give you this much information, especially on a global scale.

I was so tired last night, that I had to call it quits. I have all day to try out the demo, and If it does what I hope for...the program becomes part of the FS dance.....:)Looking forward to exploring the features.Cheers,Mitch