Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The E-Commerce purchase wrapper....

Has anybody ever had a problem with buying software delivered this way?This thing makes me nervous...that you are not on a web-secure, encrypted page from the software house you wish to buy from--- and where exactly does your purchase information go when you click 'agree/send'???Where does it go? Is it stored? I mean you are not even connected to a secure web page, but rather, you have just an open preinstall window upon your desktop!!!I want to buy something from FLIGHT1.com but...they have this form of payment for their software deliverable downloads. Like I said, it makes me nervous, having never used this type of software purchase route.Anybody?Mitch

HelloThe flight1 Wrapper is the best delivery method around.Whats the difference between sending encrypted data from your browser vs sending it encrypted via the Flight1 Wrapper to flight1's secure server they are both just applications sending data.You will also see the benefit if you want to reinstallFlight1 is probably the most respected publisher out there for Flight sim Downloads.http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

I have made a number of purchases from Flight1.No problems ... I thought it was secure!I have also made the PayPal, SimMarket, AVSIM,... whatever.It is all rather un-nerving to say the least.Sending checks .. waiting for them to clear ?? too solw. So, what else can you do .. other than be "trusting".I know there are an awful lot of internet purchases daily acroos the board ... a'lot of numbers flying around out htere!

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

How do you know it isn't secure? Are you monitoring ports or packet sniffing to see that it doesn't use an encrypted port (443?), or that they have their own method of encrypting the data to a different nonstandard port? I believe it states it's creating an HTTPS connection, so how is that different than having your browser open. Your browser is a client and the Flight One wrapper is a client. What is the difference?Clearly anyone who wants to subvert the data will try, whether it's a web browser that is constantly being exploited by hackers or a proprietary application like the Flight 1 wrapper. Just because you trust a web browser to send the data to a safe server doesn't mean it hasn't been hacked. I see no difference between the two.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I guess you're right. Once you press send, the information is-----------------------> gone to the 'ether'. You hope it is to and for what you ask of it.It's just that I have no visual input that I am now on an encrypted client/server vs. just this open window naked upon my desktop.I'm not impinging anything regarding Flight1. Not at all.I'm merely nervous about the wrapper format. Not who chooses to use it.Thanks to all for your input(s). Points noted.Mitch

You will also see the benefit if you want to reinstall-------------------------How so, Mad Dog? Can you extrapolate?Thanks

I wonder if this info then sits somewhere upon your computer---in the Registry perhaps--etc.I ran the FSDiscover software and find it simply wonderful!Great features,...I love the 'cookie-crumb' flight plan route superimposed over the terrain....This program really rocks! I was just outside of New York city proper, and was flying VFR over this hill...well..approaching this hill...in my B.E.V. rendered textures..and low and behold--the hill had a name...:) Also, it isn't just canned...but shows that the B.E.V. scenery is also not canned. I was flying over a B.E.V. graphic of a city centre fanning out to the B.E.V. graphic of the greater city area ...and again...dead in the center of that downtown core graphic, a proper city name appeared. What this does for the immersive effect is amazing, let alone that I can now fly throughout Europe, NOT KNOW Europe well..and STILL feel like an informed VFR tourist. I mean...what you get out of any software product, is what you exactly put into it, by USING all features. :)This so immerses you into the FS world. That is why I thought this would be a great program to have created, not realizing or knowing that it already had been....It is just one more piece of the puzzle to lock down that you are TRULY flying over real-world terrain.Thanks, all. If I feel secure enough to press the button...I'm sure I'll enjoy this product immensely.Mitch

>You will also see the benefit if you want to reinstallThat is one of the funniest things I have ever heard! I bought Ultimate traffic way back in the day and when I moved to a new computer and FS9 it wouldn't let me reinstall it. The wrapper didn't have the correct credit card information and they must have lost all of my other information because they said they could not find me in the database and would not give me a new key.That was the last purchase I made with Flight1

>>>You will also see the benefit if you want to reinstall>>>That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard! I bought>Ultimate traffic way back in the day and when I moved to a new>computer and FS9 it wouldn't let me reinstall it. The wrapper>didn't have the correct credit card information and they must>have lost all of my other information because they said they>could not find me in the database and would not give me a new>key.>>That was the last purchase I made with Flight1--------------------------------"Ouch!" :(Mitch

I believe it states it's creating an HTTPS connection----------------------------------------------------Just in after thought, I didn't see anywhere on the pre-install screen where it made that definitive statement.Not really splitting hairs here, but merely that I didn't see that. I DID see at the bottom of the window that it said all information is encrypted, but like I said, there is no user verification (visual or otherwise) that after you press the send, it IS going through an encrypted method or pathway.This is just me wondering 'out loud' and my due-diligence guy sitting on my left shoulder. Never MIND, who is sitting on my right one! Headed somebody off at the pass, lol. Mitch

I have never had a problem with Flight 1. I have a dozen products from them. Highly recommended. Simple to reinstall. Sometimes I have to get a new key and reactivate it to reinstall but Flight 1 has always found my stuff. I also keep a hard copy of the info incase anything gets lost. Never has happened though.JimCYWG

Jim, just to be clear, on the software products you have purchased, it WAS through the wrapper port?I just want to be clear on this..Also, if you bought this product(s) and then made a full hard drive backup...would not this product still run when you reintroduced your back up to a new hard drive, or present hard drive if you suffered data loss or corruption? You'd think so, huh?Thanks,Mitch

HelloSorry to hear about your experience.I have made over 50 purchases using the flight1 wrapper and reinstalled a large amount of them multiple times without any problems.The wrapper does not have any credit card information all you need is the Key file which is installed when you install your purchase and the last four digits of the card used, if you have all this backed up then no problems.http://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

My 3 rules for Internet use:1. NEVER-EVER send credit card info over the net.2. Deal only when you can talk to & query a HUMAN over the phone.3. "If it ain't on CD, it's not for me!"Never had a problem and never had a purchase with which I wasn't satisfied!Alex Reid

Seeing the responses here...I guess that I'll jump into the mix.I really want that program, lol.Thanks for all your comeback's guys. They were reassuring enough to try this pay-format.Mitch