Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The E-Commerce purchase wrapper....

Hi Alex,I have never had any problems relaying that data over conventional encryption servers.I have bought many programs in this way. I then always burn my download for archive and recovery purposes, along with a text file of all communications, keys, etc also onto the disc.That forms the disc.The wrapper format made me pause, that's all.:)Mitch

Used flight1 wrapper for a purchase I prefer using flight1 never had a problem with it and first of all not to sound harsh to some of the guys here, but your credit card information can be stolen anywhere at the gas station at the retail stores banks etc etc. Nothing is 100% safe in this world its just a big gamble some have had very bad luck being just at the wrong place at the wrong time.Its just how the world works unfortunately, but its good to want to be safe, but like I said never had any issue's with them at all, and always remember! please backup the data on a CD or any other format, place, besides your main hardrive, in case you lose it or get a hard-drive failure.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Mitch- The requirement for CD availability relates more to software quality- rather than than archival security. ie: Is it buggy/incomplete/subject to changes or updates or maybe simply not very good? I equate availability on CD/DVD as an indication of software stability and quality.Apologies to some good software houses that don't release on CD/DVD- but that's their loss.Alex Reid

HelloJust curious but why would being on CD indicate software stability and quality, after all vista is on DVD :-)"Apologies to some good software houses that don't release on CD/DVD- but that's their loss"How is it their loss, they have no stock , few overheads and more sales.If you limit your FS purchases to CD/DVD you miss out on some great Addons. your losshttp://www.freewebs.com/reading1871/30.jpg

In my experience Alex, the download program .exe is the same one they would burn to disc. The same.In a download, you get it right away, if you live out of the country of origin, you do not need to mess with Customs, AND pay their fees for handling, the fee to the delivery carrier, etc.For those fees, you could buy 30 blank DVD's!!!!It's all about the comfort-factor, and if how you buy is yours, then it totally works for you! :)That's the final deal. That's why I had reservations with this wrapper-purchase.Probably others dove right in...their comfort/security zone allowed for that.:) Mine didn't.Mitch

"Just curious but why would being on CD indicate software stability and quality, after all vista is on DVD :-)"-Which leads nicely to Reid's 4th rule of Consumerism- < Never purchase a new car in its first year of production. And subsequently, only after due diligence.> :)Alex Reid

Mitch, I just download the file from Flight 1. Start it up, put in the info and send it off to Flight 1. Honestly I don't like using credit over the web but millions do. And yes, every so often, something happens. that's the chance in life. I just got a paypal account for ebay. I used to send money orders but several times sellers claim they never got payment. I would send it again, they get the second one and I think they would try to cash the 1st one as they lied. Paypal is safer.In my mind, Flight 1 is fine. If they were shafting us, they wouldn't be around anymore and we would be out some money. I don't back up my drives. I have nothing on my computer that I care about that much. I can FORMAT C anytime and reinstall everything. That's me. I then just download all the programs from Flight 1 again and away I go. The hard copy I keep is a paper copy of the purchase not a backup of the program.JimCYWG

Just to reiterate what the above poster said, your credit card info is at risk all the time. Scammers have used devices on ATMs to steal CC numbers and pins, bank servers have been compromised, and a myriad of other methods used that can obtain your information and ruin your account. Even complete identities are stolen every day, so someone can ruin your life with thousands in debt before you even know it. I have no idea how these scams happen, other than to say most of it is probably from hacking computers and servers, but also from people simply using your SSN, or clerical mistakes from honest people in business and government.My only example of it was from this past tax season. I received a letter stating my state income tax refund was being withheld because I owed a debt to the state and until it was paid off I wouldn't get any refunds. I automatically knew this was wrong and called several different agencies before anyone believed me and told me what to do. Basically, someone had a bench warrant out for not showing up to court stemming from a drunk driving incident and he owed almost $1000 USD. This was deferred to the state and put a hold on any tax money until he was caught or surrendered himself to pay the fine. How did I get mixed up with this? The cop who arrested the guy, who was my same age with a very similar name, had looked up his info on the MDT (computer in the cop car) and somehow got my SSN number instead of his. He put my SSN number on the complaint, and now I was tied to the crime he committed, at least financially. I had to go to the court to prove it wasn't me and they called the state tax department to get it right. PITA, but it could've been much worse.I have been using credit cards on the Internet since you were first able to and never had a problem. I've had a couple minor incidents with compaines charging twice and not wanting to admit to it, but it work out in the end. I have bought loads of software, books, computer equipment, flight sim add ons, electronic devices, and god knows what else. I'm just careful and make sure the store is reputable first. Flight 1 has been selling this way for a long time and it's always been perfect for me.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest FredGherkin

Don't you already know all of this, Sesquashtoo? There have been numerous threads about Flight1's wrapper. Try searching.

While I'm hardly an expert, from what I gather from people who study this issue is that you're much more likely to be a victim of identity theft from someone going through your garbage or a corrupt employee double swiping your card at a restaurant than to fall victim to someone stealing your card card info over the internet.However, you should still exercise caution when buying on line.-Bryan

Re garbage- Shred EVERYTHING that has your name on it including junk mail.Re restaurants- take the check and your CC to the front desk and stand there while they swipe it.Alex Reid

So Mitch, what did you buy?JimCYWG

Hi Jim,I haven't actually bought anything yet. I decided to really give the FSDiscover demo a real work out and see if I grow bored of it. If not, I'll most likely pick it up. I will say though, that they should have allowed you access to have the whole data base for one month, rather than limit you to the New York Area to Buffalo. It would be more likely that someone would pick up this program if they could fly around their area of the world and see each and every name they are familiar with----it would make the program that much more personal in nature. I'm thinking limiting use to the area they did, was a marketing blunder---what's the difference between letting you see how it works in YOUR neck of the woods, rather than force you to use the demo area? No matter, it stops working in a MONTH! So with that in mind...why not allow full usage? FSPassengers did, in that once airborne from the San Francisco Bay Area---you could fly 'home' if you had the time, lol. It in fact had no time limit or any other restriction of the program beyond that one condition of where you got to start the program. It got enormous sales for that.Cheers,Mitch

Actually, you do have a full month of the full database, it's called Flight1's 30 day gaurantee. You buy it and if you are not satisfied with the purchase in the first 30 days, you get your money back. Simple and proven.Jim Rhoads