Sign in to follow this  
darkhorse192

Frame Rate Issue

I have been using fs9 for years and tweaked it about as much anyone could. I recently replaced my old hard drive with a 7200 rpm SATA and had to reinstall fs9 and the OS from scratch all that was fine except now I have an issue that I cannot work out. (see my specs below).After a clean install and my other addons sitting at KSEA with NO AI traffic loaded my frame rate (7 to 30 with PMDG 737) not only is lower than my old system (stable at about 23) with AI but now its bouncing wildly from 7 to about 30 and if I try and take off it bounces and stutters so bad its not flyable. When I try it from an airport with no add on scenery the frame rates are high however they still bounce pretty bad. Once I get into the air the frame rates sore into the 30s and 40s and stay high and flyable even with heavy weather. I have seen frame rates low before but never seen them bounce so much. I just cant work out what to check next. Athlon 64 28002GB RamSATA driveATI x1950proAddonsPMDG 737FS2crewASV 6 GE pro.FEFly Tampa KSEA

Hi,I'm not much of a techie pc guy, but I try and explain what happened to my pc/sim.I had a simular problem with sudden low performence after insatalling a SATA 11 hard drive from an IDE hard drive that run FS9sweetly.I hope your problem may be the same, my motherboard has only one IDE port and several SATA ports. My CD/DVD unit was set as slave to the master IDE HD, all ran fine.With the new SATA I set the CD/DVD as master and plugged it into the IDE port and SATA into the number one SATA port, that is when the problem started.After much head scratching and I put the CD/DVD units jumper as CS ( cable select ) plugged it back into its IDE port and problem gone its now running as before, I'm guessing it had to see the DVD as 'slave' to the SATA ( master )hope this may help you out.

Hey thanks for the reply I am starting to think that may have something to do with it my setup is this.I have my SATA as the first boot device then I have a small IDE drive on the primary (blue) slot then I have a CD and DVD that are on the same cable for the secondary slot. I might try and swap the two and put the CD/DVD drives on the primary slot on the board.. Mark

Well I tried switching a few things around not much change however I did open task manager and noticed that my CPU is spiking up and down between 30 and about 80% so something strange is going on I know it never did that before im just not sure what to check now or re install fs9 and start over yuck!!!!!

Hi Mark,Seems strange that your problem only started after installing a SATAunit, my performence in FS9 after SATA was a FPS range from a steady25-ish going down to 5-8 FPS for 30 + seconds at a time until I did the DVD drive 'jumper' switch, I did not look at how the cpu was performing at that time so cannot remark on this.Some other things that may be worth a look,does your motherboard require SATA drivers.do you have to update your chipset drivers after a SATA install.sorry I cannot offer a concrete solution Mark, I know how frustrating these problems can be, hope someone else can jump aboard and offer you help.good luck,

Yeah it really is frustrating im not sure about the SATA drivers I know that my bios is up to date but I didnt check into SATA drivers. I did notice that flying a default 737 produced fps in the 30s no lower than 25 with heavy weather just cant imagine PMDG 737 choking that badly since I know that it has ran much better in the past. Thanks for your help Steve will try a few more things I guess..

better update your mobo drivers to be sure. did you do that? also better take a good look at what is running for services.This really could be ANYTHING from add-ons, tweaks, video drivers, sound drivers to joystick. Read about a guys joystick doing the same thing just the other day. Over in FSx hardware discussion I think.You might as well re-install and start one add-on at a time. Then see which one causes it. Just too many things changed at once I bet. I really hate to tell you that loading up everything at once to include an OS, without stopping and benchmarking along the way is really a bad idea. If you think of how we install FS9 in the first place. Load the game. Fly without any add-ons for day or week or so. Then buy add-ons one at a time until we have a lot of them. But each time we add one on, we only do that one at a time. We have a chance to see each difference. I don't think anyone is going to find you a magic bullet. Sorry to rain on your parade.I'd concentrate on video, sound and MB drivers first. Then move on to un-installing all the add ons and then adding them one by one of you really want to waste a lot of time.Or, bite it and slick the whole drive and add one thing at a time.Sure makes those whole drive image back up programs look appealing doesnt it? Might have been $40.00 well spent.Maybe this will make you feel better..http://www.geocities.com/beyond_stretched/images/circle.gifsorry, couldn't resist. been there my friend.regards,Raul