Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dee Waldron

NO more FMC's

Ok so I am trying new things. Mainly I am trying to fly airliners with no FMC. I admit I got lazy and learned to love them. Now I want to branch out a little and fly around aircraft without them. I know how to fly all over the place with VOR's with any GA aircraft. What I am trying to figure out will they work at FL350 or do the airlines with aircraft that have no FMC fly airways. How do I program that type of flight into aircraft. So basically can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial that can guide me through long flights, or help me out. Also I have been thinking about the Ready For Pushback 747. How do you fly over the Oceans?Thanks for any helpAndrew

Andrew,There are currently three aircraft out there that fit what you're looking for: the CaptainSim 727, Iron Knuckles DC9, and of course RFP 747-200, all EXCELLENT products. The CS 727 is not really intended for trans-oceanic travel and only has VOR/ADF radios. There is also a way to use the FS2002 GPS, but that's sort of cheating. Basically navigating with CS727 is like flying the GA's, which you said you already know about so you wouldn't need much tutorial there. With the DC9 it's either VOR/ADF or if you want to you can use the GPS, which is sort of realistic since some airlines have done that. Again, that's the same as in a GA. The big difference is in the RFP747. To fly over the ocean you must use an INS system. The is the same type of system that powers an FMC, but in older planes this is all you've got. Ready for Pushback has some great tutorials that come with the product on navigating. One other product is the DC-10 Fly to Hawaii from flightsoft which has not only a great simulation of the INS and classic navigation, it comes with the most extensive INS TUTORIAL that I've ever seen. That aircraft is also obviously capable of over-water flight. Keep in mind that the tutorial supplied with RFP is not an oceanic flight, but once you understand how to fly/navigate, you can apply that to any flight. Also, if you are looking for some good information about airline/trans-oceanic procedure, go to http://www.avsim.com/geoffschool/. That's a great information site.Well, this may be more info than you wanted but hope it helps!Cheers,Marc http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Marc thanks for the info and link. I am flying around with the Ariane 733 panel. It is going good so far I have tried a couple of flights and I seem to be getting the hang of it. Other than the fuel coming from one wing the panel is pretty good. I would love to get the 742 RFP maybe soon I will.Andrew

Guest Lobaeux4

One plane you might try, if you like smaller commuter planes is Oleksiy's Dash 8. Right now it does not have a working FMS so all navigation is done by charts and VOR's/ADF's, and it details systems to rival PIC767. I would definetly recommend this plane!Lobaeux

Guest Dee Waldron

If you want to try something thats for free (G) come over to Historic Jetliners Group (http://www.avsim.com/hjg) and try out either our DC-8-50 with our own custom panel, or any of the B707's with Paul Goldings panel.But these planes will make you work! ;) Dee Waldron (HJG)"Real pilots do it by hand!"