Sign in to follow this  
aikichris

Anti ailiasing

Can someone explain what the anti ailiasing function does? (I hope I have spelt it correctly!)When I check the box it seems to cause difficulty in accessing some of the menus in the top bar (ie what you see after pressing alt)There is no problem with the basic functions, but some of the drop down menus from various add ons - when you click something in the menu, the screen just freezes and short of rebooting, I can't get anything to work at all.I have vista home premium, run FS9 'as administator' and otherwise my system is running well ( I turn off my anti virus when simming)Thansk for any help. Cheers. PS My original reason for checking the ailiasing box was due to the fact that I was getting some distortion on screen - this has cured it.

Guest TomOOO

Ouch...AA is an algorithm that smooths lines. All the pictures on thescreen are raster images since your screen is made of pixels. Youcan improve things by using higher resolution monitor, but youwill still see jaggies on slanted lines. AA takes each each pixeland changes its value depending on the shade/hue of the surroundingpixels. The higher the AA level the more times this averaging ofshading and hue is made. So consider a thin line about 1 pixelwide that is black on a white background. As a slant, it will be drawn as blocks of black against white. After AA the surroundingpixels will be made grey to give a shading. so jaggies appearsgone.If you are using GPU AA from your card then my guess is that theGPU card driver is not compatible with vista. I suggest you lookfor an updated driver for your card - look up problems with yourcard and vista and so on. Then download and install the new driver.TOm

Chris, try going from full screen to the window mode before accessing the menu items that give you trouble. I have to do that with "Active Camera" all the time.