Sign in to follow this  

Bored.

>Alex,>>have you tried russian aviation? There are some aircraft, that>are right up there with the best of the payware. Like the>Tu-154, for example.>>Also, russian navigation is quite different to what we're used>in the west. I started with the Tu-134 and learned to navigate>with RSBN and NAS-1. Now that keeps you on your toes>throughout the flight and it also made my flying MUCH more>precise! >>Not to mention the wonderful free scenery and visiting places>you've never been to before :)>>If you have spare time, I suggest you try it. While it might>seem as a daunting task at first with hundreds of instruments>all labeled in cyrillic and a lot of talk about true and>magnetic courses; loxodromes and orthodromes, it all clicks>together at some point and THEN you really start having>serious fun. :)>>Regards,>JureI fully agree Jure.I got into Russian aircraft and scenery a few years ago and now I fly little else.Once you master the admittedly rather complex aircraft like the Tu-154, Tu-134, Il-62, Il-18, Yak-42 etc., everything else looks and feels a bit bland and not very challenging.As for the scenery, Russian simmers seem to have the knack for making very detailed and realistic scenery which have practically no impact on frame rates. Magic!

John

Thanks, I'm actually a little embarassed that there isn't more on the site. I've got a folder full of .txt files containing notes and ideas for more things to add, but alas, I've recently discovered Gmax and... well... need I say more :) .Incidentally I'm an "acmech" too. I got out because I got fed up with "airplane people", but I've always missed the work, the airports, the aircraft, the smells, etc.Jim

Guest PARADISE

Get yourself all liquored up and sim-fly drunk. If that still bores you then just get plain ol'e drunk.:-beerchug John

Try VATSIM, for me it was the same with FS, The virtual airliner world gives me now much more fun to fly the complex heavy's like the LVLD 767 on busy airports with all the ATC stuff.By the way, today I recieved my real world R/T License for my PPL and it was NOT possible for me to examine it without my training on VATSIM so FS9 or FSX in combination with VATSIM gives a real life experience/training facility.Happy landings....

This past summer I was looking for "new" experience also. Here's what I did: Using my DA Cheyenne I planned a complete tour of the US starting at my home airport. This was planned as a exploration of the US, so I did 1- 1 1/2 hour trips at longest. Didn't want to spend a lot of time at cruise. Given the spped of the Cheyenne I then picked each succesive destination given two criteria: is there any cool "tourist" attractions in the area, and second but most important, the airport had to one I've never flown into before. This made each approach a totally new experience. I spent about a day planning the entire trip. I then made my go/no go decision for each leg first based on the weather since I always use AS. If the weather was such that in a real flight I wouldn't go, then I wouldn't go. Made me wait and also built up anticipation. Also had to calculate fuel and IFR procedures for each flight just before going. I also decided if the airport had something interesting around it, then if I was doing the flight for real, I wouldn't just hop in the plane the next day and go. For example, one airport I used was Grand Canyon. I left the plane there for at least 4 days in order to hike the Canyon ;-) Took me abut 4 relaxing weeks to do the trip, AND I WAS NEVER BORED. :-) Mike

Guest LeeWang

Hey Lou, great post.Yes, we all will reach a moment in time when FS is put on hold, gets "boring". I just went through it LOL. The last time I fired up FS2004, was on May 27. Tomorrow, I'm flying again. Got all the prep work done last night, and packed my bags.. Should be good. PS: Lou, your friend was reading a paper?? Was he looking for a new job?? LOLAll the bestLee

If you haven't tried it already, check out FSEconomy:(freeware)http://fseconomy.com/Give your flying a real purpose (well, actually a pretend one, but still fun). It has really kept the hobby going for me. On my own, I used to fly the same general flights over the same areas over and over. With FSE, I explore all sorts of places and tiny little airports where I have never been before. It really forces you to plan your flights and deal with weather, etc. If you also go the extra step to follow airspace rules things get really interesting. Grab your favorite GA plane and give it a try (Dreamfleet stuff works great). On another note, it is ok to take a vacation from FS as well. I basically haven't flown much at all this summer. For one thing, my house gets too warm to have the PC on for long periods, plus summer should be spent outside! This little 2-3 month break really makes things "fresh" again.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Get FSX - you'll be too frustrated to be bored :-badteethClearly for you the love of simflight is outweighed by the need for 'new' acquisitions. If all the good advice above fails, well, no harm in just hanging it up till maybe fs12 or something. regards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Lou-Sure fire cure for the FS blahs: DF Baron 58 - with allpopups open across triple monitors. Set night & visib to 1/2 mile, then fly IFR Touch and Go's. Seeing approach and landing lights finally emerge thru the gloom is,- well I'm sure you know the sensation! Alex Reid CYYJ

Guest jshyluk

Bored? Work out the kinks in you're grammar and your typingg and try out as an AVSIM Product Reviewer. You can try out as many products as you can possibly stand: aircraft, scenery, utilities, hardware, you name it. We can't keep up with the number of products that are wanting reviews. I am doing two at a time just to keep up. IT'S NOT BORING! (...but it is a lot of work -- FUN work. At least 50 times more fun than anything I've ever done for work before, and I've had some really fun jobs over time!)That, and there's a steady stream of pure FS9 products awaiting review. I wish I had the time to go back to FS9 to look at them, but all I can do right now is FSX stuff. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Guest LeeWang

>> Get FSX - you'll be too frustrated to be bored :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lolLee

>Hi Alex,>>Trust me when I say, it could be worse, much worse. You could>be doing this for real! What? You don't think we get bored>too?>>Do you think most of us who fly for real get new aircraft to>check out all the time? No way!>>Most of the time we fly the same thing, over and over again. I>mean, it's not as though we can afford to fly all these>various real aircraft, especially jet airliners. Even then,>airline pilots fly the same thing over and over again.>>Yes, it can be boring, and only your love of it gets you past>that.>>Granted, there are some challenges at times, but often one is>just sitting there, scanning the gauges, playing with the GPS>and reading a magazine / newspaper! >>Here's a photo of me (see links below my signature), on a>flight last week in a Cessna 210 Turbo from New Jersey down to>Tennessee, 3 hours each way. I posed for this photo on purpose>to show just how exciting it can be. >>Here's another one of my friend in his Cessna 421B. This guy>is a multi-thousand hour ATP, and we're on a 3.5 hour flight>from New Jersey to Hilton Head, South Carolina.>>What? you don't think we were both reading the newspaper? Of>course, we were, but I had it harder, as I took right seat and>dealt with the radios and ATC. It wasn't much harder. >>Guess what, we can get bored in the real thing, but that does>not mean we love it any less! We love it so much that we love>the hours of boredom, as the alternative is usually moments of>terror! ;)>>When it comes to flying, boredom is good, very good, just keep>on your game.>>Regards,>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpgGeez Lou try not to look so excited next time!

This recently just happened to me a few months ago, I needed something new, something live action though that challenges you as well as is great fun and takes as much skill as flying an airplane. So what did I do? I bought my self a sportsbike, a Suzuki GSXR 750. Don't know if you're interested in bikes, but I wasn;t until just a few weeks before I bought it. I love it and haven't touched FS in a few months. I'll be back to FS when some great planes come out for FSX and I'm able to run it super smooth.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Have you tried giving something back to the FS Community ?Try your hand a writing a tutorial on some aspect of the hobby you have mastered.Try your hand at scenery design, repainting or a miriad of other things related to our hobby/addiction.Who knows, you may create something of value for everyone!

Guest DanWalloch

>Granted, there are some challenges at times, but often one is>just sitting there, scanning the gauges, playing with the GPS>and reading a magazine / newspaper! >>Here's a photo of me (see links below my signature), on a>flight last week in a Cessna 210 Turbo from New Jersey down to>Tennessee, 3 hours each way. I posed for this photo on purpose>to show just how exciting it can be. Hey Lou, did you move up from the Dakota?With regards to this thread, I did 8.4hrs in a 172 two weeks ago. MWC-LVN-STC, then about an hour flying around the STC area and to finish off the day with STC-MWC back home. All in the comforts of a 172 alone. Glad I had the A/P on for altitude/heading hold and reclined the seat just a little to make it more comfortable. Plus I was on an IFR flight plan so I had ATC as my eyes. Flying can get boring at times, but the 2nd you get into IMC or busy airspace it becomes work again.