Sign in to follow this  
Guest F15Driver

Changing an ILS frequency

Guest F15Driver

Is it possible to change a default ILS freq at an airfield? I'd like to change the KPHL LOC freq RWY27L from 109.3 to 109.5. RWY09R also shares 109.3 and recognizes the front course to RWY09R but not RWY27L.Second part is if it is possible within FS9 how then do I change AIRAC Navdata (0709) to mirror the change?ThanksF15Driver

Hi,You need a freeware utility called AFCAD by Lee Swordy. It should be available in the AvSim library. It includes full help on how to make such a change.The AIRAC cycle should be updated by the people who distribute it. Recent changes to runway designators at EGCC were reflected in AIRAC cycles so the same should happen for KPHL.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Using AFCAD as Ray described you can also leave a shared ILS frequency as it is if you so choose and just turn off the back course in each navaid property at each end of the runway. This way you do not need to modify your AIRAC DATA.If an AFCAD type file exists that runs at higher priority than the default built in to the APxxx.bgl files, that is the one that should be examined and modified. This file may already exist if supplied with scenery or traffic add-ons. If no such file exists then AFCAD will create one when you click "Save" as AF2_(ICAOcode).bgl in your Addon sceneryscenery folder. Otherwise use the "Save As" command to change the placement and name of the file.

Guest F15Driver

Thanks Ray/Ron...will sort it out based on your help.F15Driver

Often the problem is caused by using an airport designed for FS2002 in FS9. When FS2002 scenery is used in FS9, it will prevent the display of the visual scenery either in the default AP9 file or any AFCAD you use. That's good. But there is a problem if the ILS elements are left in the FS2002 scenery file. If this happens you will only have ILS at one end of a runway when the same freq is used on both ends (this is done often in the US). The fix is for the developer to remove the ILS code from his scenery file intended for FS9. Then the ILS from the default or AFCAD file will be used. Sometimes you can use bglanalyze to disassemble the file to SCASM code and remove the ILS data and then assemble using SCASM.Note that IRL FAA requires there to be a switch in the tower cab that allows only one set of ILS to operate at one time for these runways, but this isn't in the sim.scott s..

Guest F15Driver

Copy...I used Lee Swordy's AFCAD and RWY27L has backcourse enabled but RWY9R did not. However, after selecting backcourse enable for RWY9R, I still had the same issue--can't get ILS 27L at KPHL to work. If anyone is running Simflyers KPHL and has figured out how to get ILS 27L working correctly, please pass advice on.If not, I'm considering changing RWY27L ILS frequency via AFCAD realizing there will be a potential conflict with navdata (AIRAC)and the ability to autotune an ILS via the FMC (LDS 767).Simflyers has put out an update apparently correcting this anomoly but I ran it and I still have the same issue with RWY27L/9R sharing same LOC freq (109.3).ThanksF15Driver