Sign in to follow this  
B42L8

FS Moving Map ??

I read in one of the posts about a program that adds much more detail to the MM, and is added to the kneeboard.........I loaded the base program and now get the map, but it is of the world (the airplane location is shown), but there are considerable steps required to put the detail into this to make it work like a MapQuest......that is where I am at a loss to get further into this install...If this really works,it will be an incredible addition to VFR flying!!......SO, question is, where are the details and has anyone got this up and running?? Will appreciate comments, good and bad.........Many thanks, B42L8

I assume you mean FSM Moving Map? If you look in the library under the Navigation category, the US sectionals and terminal aera charts were set up by Matt Fox for use in FSMMM. Otherwise, you can downlaod and calibrate maps using the FSMMM tools, but I think you will find that hard going. I use GIS software to reproject and locate aviation maps which is easier, but still takes time.scott s..

Many thanks, I finally got to the downloads you referred to, an have in a temp folder.......now I will start FS, use the kneeboard, and try to import from this new folder............this is where it is a little confusing, but it all takes place OUTSIDE of FS, so if I make a boo-boo it won't screw up the FS..........is this true??......PS, does it really work like it says?? Will let you know how it ends up........B42L8

After you download all the maps, unzip them all to a folder, for example a subfolder of the one FSM Moving Map is in. Then, start the " Launch FSMMovingMap " program without running FS9. After the program starts, click on "setup" on the bottom. Then click on the Maps Installed tab on the top. If you right-click in the map list window you get a context menu and the last entry is "Import Map" which has a sub menu, and on that menu you want to select "Mass Import". NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS "MASS UPDATE" ON THE FIRST MENU. Then, browse to the folder you unzipped all the maps to, and click "OK". FSMMM should find and load all the maps into the Maps Installed list. At this point you can right-click on the list of maps again and this time select "Mass Update". You can use this to set all the maps to "north america". If you look on that there are other things you can adjust, but until you are familiar with the program you can safely ignore these.Next, click on the "Coverage" tab on the top. Then click on the "draw" button, and you should see the map of the globe, with all your sectionals and terminals over the US. If yo move your mouse over them it will show the name of the map:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178657.jpgIt also shows the "weight" which is just a priority setting.Finally go to the "setup" tab on top and click the "Install in FS9 Kneeboard" button. Then you can exit the "launch" program. Note that you need FSUIPC installed. When you start FS9 and open the kneeboard commands page, you should see the FSMMM with a sectional or terminal (assuming you are in an area with map coverage).Once you get the hang of it you can experiment with adding airport diagrams , approach plates, etc. The airport diagram is good for figuring out your taxi route. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178658.jpgYou can also add enroute IFR charts:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178659.jpgAnd finally the sectionals:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178660.jpgscott s..

Great!! Thank you very much!! Before I load these into FSMMM, should I do the GIF thing or just load the FPGS?? I did install the freeware Irfanview but that also seems to have a process which will take some time to figure out.....PS, I did install into the kneeboard location,but would think, on second thought, that it would be better to have on the second screen all during the flight, as when the kneeboard is showing, it freezes the FS until it is X'd out (not sure that is what is supposed to happen, but I do not use the kneeboard that much)......Again, your help is much appreciated:-)

This looks pretty good. Where can I find the directions to operate this program within the kneeboard? Is that in the install instructions?Thanks, Carol

Scott, well I got all the JPGs in the "images" folder, then somehow used the Irfanview to convert all 71 to GIFs, then copies all these GIFs to another subfolder "GIF images"............then back to the launcher, but a popup said it had been changed and no longer worked..so into the original FSMMM folder and did the launch, OK to this point,...did the "Mass Import" and browsed to the GIF Images folder and clicked OK, another popup, UNABLE TO LOAD IMAGES FROM THIS FOLDER,......Guess these kind of programs are for the Computer Savvy simmers..........Anyway, appreciate your help and time, back to regular simming:( ....(Carol, hope you have better luck) B42L8

There's no need to convert any files. Make sure you get the correct zips. They have names like us_sectionals_pack_1.zip and us_tac_a_to_d.zip. Download all of these and unzip all the contents into the same folder. For example, here is the result of us_sectionals_pack_1:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178688.jpgNote that for every section (they are split in half) there are three files. The .jpg is a standard jpeg image. The .JGW is a so-called world file containing the coordinates of the NW corner and the scale. the .prj is a projection file. When you do the mass import, FSMMovingMap should find all the .prj files, which tells it how to load each of the jpg maps.Once you're setup, within FS9 all you need to do is open the kneeboard to the commands page. FSMMM will start (note that at the top is a link to the original commands page if you need to get to those). About the only thing you can do is right click on the map to see this menu. I find the zoom is the most useful. Note if you find you are always zooming a certain map, you can go into setup -- map coverage -- click on a map and change the default zoom level for it.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178690.jpgIf you are in windowed mode, you can edit the map from the kneeboard. You can also turn on/off AI aircraft display.scott s..

Scott, took your advice and did the setup directly from the downloaded sectionals (without doing the GIFs) and it put in FSMMM in no time.......tried it quickly and it works like a charm, makes a big difference, but on my system, when I am using the kneeboard I cannot use ATC until I 'X' it out, tried the zooms, etc., that works as well, neat!! Unfortunately, when I "X" it, FS locked up, maybe I should have been in different window?? Will try to play around later........Think my problem was to read too much into the process,............again, thanks for the help, do not think I would have done it myself..........B42L8:-)

Maybe you need to uncheck "pause on task switch" which IIRC is in the general options?scott s..

Another thanks, whatever that does, I can use the kneeboard while everything else works.......also found that I have to leave this on the main screen, not the secondary, or the undocked views get screwed up, but that is OK........this is really a great addition to flying!! Have to send a note of thanks to the authors as well......never thought I would get this going, FS is a constant learning cycle for me!!

Guest deKoven

I'm glad it worked for you. It doesn't work for me although I certainly don't blame the program. My pooter just isn't up to the demands of FS and the extra load that this adds. Guess I'll stick to my old standby, FS Nav.:-hang

Guest ThrottleUp

Scott967 those are very impressive screenshots! I admit I had no idea you could do such things in FS9. Suddenly the default GPS feels very boring after seeing your pictures!

The hard part is doing the enroute charts. The ones I have are done in "lambert conic conformal" projection. That in itself isn't bad, but they don't provide the projection parameters that are used. I haven't figured out any way to guess the parameters, instead I have to enter about 40 or so points per map and force-fit them. Even then there can be some distortion. It isn't so bad for approach or airport diagrams (assuming they are drawn to scale) since you can pretty much just assume they are linear and just use the NW and SE corners to position them in the world. But there are so many even just doing that is slow.scott s..

Guest machammer

Scott s,Maybe you can help as you seem pretty familar with FS Moving Map.Last week I downloaded and installed it. I have the west coast sectional charts from Matt Fox installed. When I start FS2004 from KLAX and go to the Kneeboard and select A no map displays. I looked at the Log Text and it says FSUIPC failure incorrect version of FSUIPC or not FSUIPC. I have a registered FSUIPC version 3.74 installed. FS Moving Map is being used on the same PC that FS2004 is installed. I'm not using WideClient. What version of FSUIPC do you have? The manual suggests at-least FSUIPC version 3.44.I don't know if this is the problem or I've missed something.Thank You.Bill