Sign in to follow this  

Rudder Pedals. Should I?

I use a Microsoft Force Feebdack pro joystick. I turn off most of the force feedback effects, but I like the tangible weight it has when the aircraft isn't trimmed properly, so I will probably stick with it over getting a yoke.However, I'm wondering about rudder pedals. I have a terrible time trying to do a coordinated turn using the twist function on the joystick. Do rudder pedals offer enough of an advantage to justify the expense? Anyone have problems with the CH USB pedals on Windows XP?

Yes!I feel that rudder pedals are the one item that adds most to realism in FS.The CH pedals (USB) work fine in XP.Andy (YSCB)

Guest SoarPics

In a word:YES!!!!!!!!!!I also feel rudder pedals add immensely to the sim. Especially with an airplane like the SF 260, which slips and skids and spins better than any other FS airplane.

Guest Lindy

Absolutely!! get some rudder pedals if you can. First, a real plane does not do coordinated turns with a twist of the stick. Second, if you get into slips and such, pedals are MUCH better. Third, when you decided to try helos, pedals are a MUST. (Yes, I know there are plenty of virtual helo pilos who use the twist grip of their sticks, but pedals are still better IMO.) Fourth, pedals FEEL more real -- very cool. ;-) -Lindy :-rotor:-wave

To me, rudder pedals are essential. I do like aerobatics, slips, mountain runway landings, & crosswinds. Pedals also supply the "feel" of left drift during the roll & climbout. At least they do, when its transferred from my pilot mind to sim mind.. And just to be "rotten", I even tend to dismiss reviews or complaints about flight models.................if rudder pedals are not used :)L.Adamson

Mack:I agree with everyone else here, pedals are MUST. It's not flight simulation if you do not have rudder pedals. There's nothing like applying correction in a crosswind takeoff and tracking the damned center-line right down the middle. My trusty ol' CH products gameport version has worked flawlessly for years. http://mostrealisticai.projectai.com/images/northwest.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

You've definately convinced me folks. Thanks much for your input!